Pain in right bum cheek

XYGTHO

Likes Dirt
Hey guys. After pushing myself fairly hard trying to do extra kms the other week (wasnt that many really) I have had a pain every now and then in my right but cheek. Not just saddle sore as I have been riding just over a year now and ride every day to work also.

It started after I went for a sunday morning ride and put my seat up a little higher and also after beeing worn down from a few extra kms through the week. Is it possible my right leg is slightly shorter and I bruised this side over extending? Cant find much with google.

I have taken it easy on the bike this week but still ridden all but 2days. Should I rest it, stretch it, wait another week to see if it goes away? Im only 28 and pretty fit and healthy.

Think I do need to start listening to my body more though. Been trying to push bigger gears and keep up near 30-35kms/h on flat straights. Just want to get fitter and faster.

Any advice? Ideas on what it may be? I hope nothing serious and it goes away and Ill take it easier when my muscles are hurting. My legs were already pretty sore before I done this morning weekend ride. Also doesnt seem sore when riding. And this was on my Flat bar. No problems after on the MTB. But seems weird that it doesnt hurt and goes away when riding. Was worse last night/this morning when it was quite cold.

monk_13

Likes Bikes
Ease up on it for a bit man. Sounds like it goes away when riding cause it's moving and getting stretched out a bit. Dig your fingers in. Does it feel all knotted up? IE a lot of pain in one spot?

If it feels like you may have overstressed/strained it, use a heat pack and do some stretching a couple times a day. Get yourself a foam roller and use that as well (Youtube will be your friend here)

Jilbo

Likes Dirt
Similar thing happened to me, I was doing sprints on the oval one day and I thought I pulled something but the pain didn't go away with time, long story short after visiting 3 doctors and getting scans done I ended up going to a physio and all that was wrong was my right Glute muscle was tight. He gave me a stretch to do and told me to "stretch the shite" out of it to loosen it up, after 4 days the pain had gone and now I don't hurt it doing sprints.

Maybe shell out the $$ to see a Physio, in my honest opinion best money ever spent.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
It started after I went for a sunday morning ride and put my seat up a little higher and also after beeing worn down from a few extra kms through the week. Is it possible my right leg is slightly shorter and I bruised this side over extending? Cant find much with google.
How much did you raise it by, and what's your knee like at the bottom of the crank stroke? It should be slightly bent at full extension, and you shouldn't have to rock your hips to reach the pedal. A crude guide for setting up is to have your knee totally straight, but without dropping your hip when your heel is sitting on the pedal. That way, when your foot is correctly located when pedalling, the movement trhrough the ankle will ensure your knee is at the right angle.

Think I do need to start listening to my body more though. Been trying to push bigger gears and keep up near 30-35kms/h on flat straights. Just want to get fitter and faster.
I reckon you're approaching that the wrong way. To go faster, pedal faster, not harder. Sounds weird, but that's the way to avoid injury. At first you will probably find yourself getting a little short of breath, because teaching the muscles to work faster increases the load on the aerobic system. But as the heart & lungs get stronger, you'll be able to sustain the leg speed better, which will also develop strength, and endurance, then you'll find you'll be able to access those harder gears without causing damage to yourself.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Were about's is the pain exactly?

If the pain is towards the outside and slightly low on your bum cheek it might also be the hip external rotators - that lay underneath glut max / medius.

Potentially changing seat height could cause this as rotation at the hip may be slightly altered to what you normally have.

I reckon you're approaching that the wrong way. To go faster, pedal faster, not harder. Sounds weird, but that's the way to avoid injury. At first you will probably find yourself getting a little short of breath, because teaching the muscles to work faster increases the load on the aerobic system. But as the heart & lungs get stronger, you'll be able to sustain the leg speed better, which will also develop strength, and endurance, then you'll find you'll be able to access those harder gears without causing damage to yourself.
This is really solid advice training advice! little gears make legs, big gears break legs.

Last edited:

XYGTHO

Likes Dirt
How much did you raise it by, and what's your knee like at the bottom of the crank stroke? It should be slightly bent at full extension, and you shouldn't have to rock your hips to reach the pedal. A crude guide for setting up is to have your knee totally straight, but without dropping your hip when your heel is sitting on the pedal. That way, when your foot is correctly located when pedalling, the movement trhrough the ankle will ensure your knee is at the right angle.

Cheers mate will def stick to spinning. I do mainly spin and always do on the MTB. Only raised the seat a few mm and wasn't rocking but any higher and I would have been I think.

XYGTHO

Likes Dirt
Were about's is the pain exactly?

If the pain is towards the outside and slightly low on your bum cheek it might also be the hip external rotators - that lay underneath glut max / medius.

Potentially changing seat height could cause this as rotation at the hip may be slightly altered to what you normally have.

This is really solid advice training advice! little gears make legs, big gears break legs.
Pain is probably on the lower side but seems fairly central. Might drve to work this week and give the MTB ride a miss if it is still sore mid week. Going to kill me not riding and the traffic is going to make me grumpy driving lol.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Pain is probably on the lower side but seems fairly central. Might drve to work this week and give the MTB ride a miss if it is still sore mid week. Going to kill me not riding and the traffic is going to make me grumpy driving lol.
A different kind of pain in the bum. :pound:

XYGTHO

Likes Dirt
A different kind of pain in the bum. :pound:
That's it lol. And cheers for the advice mate appreciate it. Haven't been riding that long and going blind. Never trained before just enjoyed riding but keen to get fitter and take out the local XC series in novice. Doing pretty well till now lol. Next race is 3weeks away I think.

That's it lol. And cheers for the advice mate appreciate it. Haven't been riding that long and going blind. Never trained before just enjoyed riding but keen to get fitter and take out the local XC series in novice. Doing pretty well till now lol. Next race is 3weeks away I think.
Had similar issues from over doing it. I was really tight in the glute medium causing discomfort and lower back pain. I got a foam roller and a tennis ball and followed some exercises off the net specific to bike riding, problem solved

XYGTHO

Likes Dirt
Haven't ridden since Sunday which was only a 1km ride anyway out to do some track building. That was a bad idea lol. Working a mattock for 2 hours straight lol. But just resting so far for two days has helped and done some stretching. It's worst when I wake up in the morning and I think the 10degree nights (very cool for here) don't help. Once I warm up it's fine.

XYGTHO

Likes Dirt
Ok all recovered. Had a week of the bike and then caught the flu so have had three weeks off in total. Next race in 1 week lol. Think I will just slowly try to get back into it and not race to serious this one (if my competitiveness lets me).