painting a car DIY

aceblueheeler1992

Likes Dirt
hey all..
i was wondering if anyone has painted a car by them self. i have seen tutoirals on the net, but i was thinking how long does the paint last and all that stuff. so if anyone has done it themself please post a pic and tell how long its lasted and if any defects came out of it.

also if you have painted rims,lights etc

who...?

Likes Dirt
If your are goin to paint your rims just take then to the local powder coaters and get them to do it.

By the way that VW look awsome:p

E-thugin

Likes Dirt
Depends on what colour you're doing it. if its metalic or or a soloid colour, or if it as a clear coat. Also if it's 2pac or acrylic. & where about.

If you do, do it in a closed in garage not outside, & tape everything off.

gotta prep the surface being painted on the vehicle first too. also if you do 2pac over acrylic the paint with react & bubble.

you shouldn't be spraying 2pac paint at home anyway without a proper ventilated booth & masks cos it can fuck you up, acrylic isn't too bad.

I did my wheels red, out of a rattle can, just spray primered them first & they're fine. I did my roof white on my car out of an air compressor in acrylic & it looks as good as the day the car came out of the factory.

hardinge915

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you're going for the full professional look don't try unless your willing to screw up alot of times trying to get it right. To get the finish you find from the dealership remember to wet sand ;)

xc_machine

Likes Dirt
Repair - Fibrefill/Bog Cut rust out and weld new bits of tin in.
Primer Filler to repairs
Sand - With 120 first
undercoat - Colourthane Hi-build preferable.
Guidecoat and sand with 240
Undercoat
Sand with 300
Undercoat
Sand with 400
Colour
1200 Wet n dry
Top coat

Thats obviously damn basic.
The newer/more straight the car is, the easier and quicker the whole process will be.

I can't be bothered explaining every detail mate, it'd take so damn long. It's not exactly complicated, but everything needs to be done right - Metal must be properly ground before applying bog/fiberfill etc.

Last edited:

jeebus4545

Likes Bikes
i wouldnt do it, chances are you will end up with either runs or a dodgey finish. also the prep work will take you a fair while, and you will need to basically pull your car apart AND remember how it all goes back together.

id recommend taking it to a local TAFE which does car spray painting as a course. often you will find they will take your car, do the job supervised and you will only have to pay for the paint you use, not the labour (the most expensive part of the job).

they might have your car for a while though

hardinge915

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Repair - Fibrefill/Bog Cut rust out and weld new bits of tin in.
Primer Filler to repairs
Sand - With 120 first
undercoat - Colourthane Hi-build preferable.
Guidecoat and sand with 240
Undercoat
Sand with 300
Undercoat
Sand with 400
Colour
1200 Wet n dry
Top coat

Thats obviously damn basic.
The newer/more straight the car is, the easier and quicker the whole process will be.

I can't be bothered explaining every detail mate, it'd take so damn long. It's not exactly complicated, but everything needs to be done right - Metal must be properly ground before applying bog/fiberfill etc.
Spraypainter/Panel Beater by trade? If so wouldn't mind talking to you about a few things with paint etc..