Painting fork without disassembly.

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
Is it super ghetto ? Yes.
Is it viable tho ?? I have no reason to disassemble the fork at this time, but I would like to paint it.
Can stanchions be masked ? If so what's the best kind of tape to use ?

B.utters

Likes Dirt
I would tape paper tightly around the stanchions and tape over the seals if you have your heart set on not taking the fork apart. Masking tape will be the easiest thing to work with.

I wish you luck in painting between the stanchions and fork arch......

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
I don't have the parts to reassemble which is why I don't want to take them apart. I know it's a less than desirable method but the paint is temporary and it's not even real paint....
Just want to know if it might implode or something. If it does i'll post a video.

0psi

Eats Squid
I don't have the parts to reassemble
You don't have a socket and an allen key? :noidea:

Seriously dude it takes less than 10 minutes to pull the lowers off and pull the damper cartridge out of most forks. If you are going to do a half arsed job just grab a paint brush and go nuts.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
I don't have the parts to reassemble which is why I don't want to take them apart. I know it's a less than desirable method but the paint is temporary and it's not even real paint....
Wait, wait, wait.......are these imaginary forks from a Narnia Unicorn 29er? If so, you can get a Sky Hook and Long Weight from any good mechanic to reassemble them. :crazy:

wombat

Lives in a hole
Then what the hell are you "painting" them with?
I'm betting plasti dip by the sounds of it.

If that is the case, I'd still be pulling the lower off, not because the plastidip is going to do much damage to anything, but because you've got fuck all chance of getting decent coverage around the back of the arch with the fork together.

Just pull the lowers off, jam a rag in the top, paint, and peel off any excess you get on the top of the seals. Probably going to be faster than trying to mask the stanchions anyway.

MARKL

Eats Squid
Do you know Tate? I am sure he can help...Theo can help to if your rebound speed is to slow