Parklife06

naz

Criminally Inane
alright line ups out, tix are on sale, its a few months but who's going!!!
woooo

NCR600

Likes Dirt
'scuse my ignorance, but what is the distinction made between the acts that are 'live', the 'DJ sets' and the ones that don't have a tag?

Can I assume the 'live' acts will incorporate actual musical instruments and vocals being played onstage, possibly with a DJ, the DJsets will be pure turntables and for the ones that don't have a tag, a roadie will just bung a CD in the player and push the button?

I would have thought the vast majority of acts would be DJ sets, with or without MC?

arpit

Banned
Hmm, looks interesting. None of my friends are into things like parklife, so I don't know though. I'll ask around and see... I don't particularly want to go by myself :p

Rik

logged out
NCR600 said:
'scuse my ignorance, but what is the distinction made between the acts that are 'live', the 'DJ sets' and the ones that don't have a tag?
You're pretty much right. A "live" set in electronic music usually entails instruments being "played" on stage... but since we're generally talking about synths/samplers, it's still controlled by a sequencer/computer (unless they're hellishly good on an MPC/similar, but that's moreso hiphop territory). There's a fair bit more control over a live sequenced set than a DJ set, and good artists can use that to their benefit by working the tracks based on crowd reaction.
That said, with rock'n'roll being the new rock'n'roll, even dance-orientated acts are dragging in the drums and guitars to bash out some tracks live, and that can be done to great effect with the right music.
There is, of course, the type that'll just have everything prearranged or even played back off DAT... where's the fun in that? :rolleyes:

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
The best dance mucis I've heard has been played live. Usually by two dudes behind a huge arrangement of knobs, buttons, levels, computers etc.

Plow King

Little bit.
johnny said:
The best dance mucis I've heard has been played live. Usually by two dudes behind a huge arrangement of knobs, buttons, levels, computers etc.
You must be a good dj then johnny. Your always talking to knobs behind a computer.