pause in cassette hub caused by wear?

jacob123

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hey guys,
noticing while ive been riding lately that there is a slight pause in my rear hub at a certain point when it spins, like ive only noticed due to the noise. like its loud and at a certain point it dims quieter and then goes back loud. always at the same point. the wheel is straight and no flat spots.
the rear hub is a dt swiss ex1750. pulled the cassette body off to check for wear and couldn't see anything that grabbed my attention. i checked if it was greased all the way around and the the parts that click wernt dirty. put it back together and it still has the slight pause. hasn't effected bike as yet but just a bit worried if a certain part of the engagement is worn down
any help would be greatly appreciated
cheers
jacob

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is it just the sound you are noticing, or can you feel it when rotating by hand?

Tomas

my mum says im cool
Diagnosing noises over the internet is always tricky, but the method DTswiss use to generate engagement creates a non-consistant noise throughout the revolution. AFAIK it's due to the fact a coil spring doesnt act equally around it's base - the engagement pressure of the ratchet differs and hence the noise. If it's more than just the natural oscilation of the noise: dont know, sorry!