Paying for the fitting of warrenty parts

shakes

Likes Dirt
I would expect that the if the bike was sold from one of Giant's agents as a frame only, then Giant should not be required pay for the build. If the bike was sold from one of their agents as a full build I think it would be reasonable to expect them (Giant) to pay for the build.

Anyone have an answer on this yet?
If you saw my post above, it's stated in the warranty's by basically every company that the consumer pays any 'gap' cost incurred in swapping the parts from one frame to the next. As well as any freight charges.

Some shops will swap stuff across in good faith, alot will charge a small fee - in this case $60 which is really pretty good for the time it takes to strip a bike, get it to the manufacturer get the new frame in, prep it and build it up.

How legal this is under consumer law is a pretty grey area. As I can't find anything that says who is who. I would assume that the manufacturers have never been challenged properly in court over it, and that their legal teams have advised them it is a safe way to go.

specci82

Likes Dirt
$60 to have all my stuff stripped off and fitted to a new frame? I'd pay that without question if it was a warranty related issue. I would usually do it myself but in this instance you are honoring some of your part in the warranty process.
I'm surprised they let you take the bike without payment and I wouldn't have let it go.
Bike shops aren't getting some ritzy deal with distributors that makes them want to do shit for nothing. They are a customer of the distributor in the same way that you buy off the shop. It isn't their fault the frame cracked but as the middle man they have to cover costs to enable the store to operate. It isn't too hard to add up.
How long did it take the store to swap the parts onto the new frame?
I agree with this guy.. also seems like everyone who mentioned they had a cracked frame in this thread was riding a Giant.... has there quality dropped in there frames?

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
seems like everyone who mentioned they had a cracked frame in this thread was riding a Giant.... has there quality dropped in there frames?
I don't think the quality has changed but the chances of a cracked frame will increase given the fact that Giant have more bikes / frames out there compared to ten years ago. More frames equals more chances to crack and this can happen with any manufacturer.

I'm not on top of all this, but it seems that the distributor should be paying the store for their labour. Imagine if you had to pay the labour every time your car/motorcycle had a warranty claim? It seems that it's the same issue at a slightly different scale.

willsy01

Eats Squid
I'm not on top of all this, but it seems that the distributor should be paying the store for their labour. Imagine if you had to pay the labour every time your car/motorcycle had a warranty claim? It seems that it's the same issue at a slightly different scale.
This.

It's up to the shop to recover costs from the distributor. That's how every other warranty works.....bike shops are no different.

shakes

Likes Dirt
This.

It's up to the shop to recover costs from the distributor. That's how every other warranty works.....bike shops are no different.
Refer back to what the manufacturer's list in their terms of warranty... even look at my other posts in this thread.

What you have written is how it SHOULD work, not how it DOES work.

kai888

Squid
how do we know that the bike shop is not getting paid by the distributor and charging the customer as well? because from reading some of the replies here, its inconsistent, sometimes the manufacturer covers the costs, sometimes the bike shop covers the costs and sometimes the buyer pays.....

Minlak

custom titis
how do we know that the bike shop is not getting paid by the distributor and charging the customer as well? because from reading some of the replies here, its inconsistent, sometimes the manufacturer covers the costs, sometimes the bike shop covers the costs and sometimes the buyer pays.....
The manufacturer will normally have a set price they are going to pay for the fitting etc (Motorbike claims anyway) the shop gets no where near their normal hourly rate and nearly always charge a nominal fee to the owner as well :(

The manufacturer will normally have a set price they are going to pay for the fitting etc (Motorbike claims anyway) the shop gets no where near their normal hourly rate and nearly always charge a nominal fee to the owner as well :(

That's not my experience. I have had several warranty claims with motorcycles (par for the course when you buy English) and a couple over the years with new cars; not once have I paid anything to get the fault rectified. This includes rattles/squeaks in cars. As a rule, motorcycle dealers have been a little behind car dealers in customer service, but that's beginning to improve.

Shortsited view of things from that shop

As a business owner I would firstly tell the customer about the cost, but then tell them we would do it for free as part of our service and gain a long term customer, that's how things work in our shop.....