pedal systems

Ham

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have been using spd-r on my bike for the last 5 years but lately i have been going through cleats like crazy, so im looking for an alternative.

My only real requirements are a strong engagement and decent amount of float. Any suggestions?

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
I like / need the float as well. Started off with Time RXS but have just switched to speedplays. Love em and the price is reasonable. They are a pain to walk in - if you're going to take more than 6 or seven steps in a row then buy the cleat covers as thats (the cleat) the expensive bit.

Got about 8000kms in mine and they've been fault free - might need to add a drop of chain lube to the cleat soon after all the rain though...

Ham

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I like / need the float as well. Started off with Time RXS but have just switched to speedplays. Love em and the price is reasonable. They are a pain to walk in - if you're going to take more than 6 or seven steps in a row then buy the cleat covers as thats (the cleat) the expensive bit.

Got about 8000kms in mine and they've been fault free - might need to add a drop of chain lube to the cleat soon after all the rain though...
yeah i was thinking speed play but no one i ride with uses them so couldnt get feedback

I have a set of speedplay zero pedals you can set the float up to 15 degress. Only down side is the cleats dont last long if you walk around alot. But you can buy protectors for the cleats that are are made from rubber and has the added benefit of making walking around that bit easier. Getting in out is very easy just drop your heel and push to enter. Pedals feel very secure even with 15 degress of flot and have fantastic cornering clearance. I have used both Look and Shimano pedals, but the speedplays are fantastic for adjustability. If i had to go back to another system i would choose Shimano pedals, Look have lost the plot with their pedals.

mcetp001

Likes Bikes
I have ridden Looks for years - deltas and now the keos.
Both good systems, the keos have stronger retention by design but the deltas can be had cheap.

Bodin

GMBC
I just had my first ride on my brand new Dura-Ace pedals today. Sensational. Easy adjustment, broad pedalling platform to stomp on, nice float and a very smooth, solid feel. Certainly a massive step up (and over 100 grams lighter) than my old Look Legend pedals that I've been using since 2004.

Got the Dura Ace pedals from eBay for $205 ($213 delivered). Killer deal for the performance.

røhvul

Likes Dirt
Dura Ace all the way.. sure, Looks are nice and light, but come equipped with bearing play as standard, which just gets worse as time goes on.

Ham

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looking at my old 105 pedals, they are pretty flogged out will have to see if i can get some dura-ace cheap or even ultegra?

Bodin

GMBC
Dura Ace all the way.. sure, Looks are nice and light, but come equipped with bearing play as standard, which just gets worse as time goes on.
Thanks for the heads up. I will keep an eye on this - there is no discernable play at the moment (after 200kms), but I will check regularly. I really like these pedals - just got back from setting a PB on my usual training route.

top_oz_bloke

Likes Dirt
Got the Dura Ace pedals from eBay for $205 ($213 delivered). Killer deal for the performance.
Scored my DA's for $129 from Wiggle. Supposedly 'OEM surplus' but turned up in the complete retail packaging.

Although no personal experience I took the punt on DA after doing lots of reading and pretty much came up with nothing negative other than a few comments from the WW crowd about how 'heavy' they are. Lots of Speedplay fanboys out there, a few negative comments which from what I can remember were mostly to do with issues with the mechanism jamming up really easily in the presence of dirt. Though to be fair I think some were trying to use them in off-road or semi off-road situations. Look also seemed popular with the main concern being wear to the pedal body and seals (too much drag or something).

Now just trying to find some shoes that I'm happy with. Until them it's M540's and mtb shoes. At least they are XC shoes but the roadie style police must be turning in their graves.

top_oz_bloke

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the heads up. I will keep an eye on this - there is no discernable play at the moment (after 200kms), but I will check regularly. I really like these pedals - just got back from setting a PB on my usual training route.
I think you misread. Comment on the bearing was in regards to Looks?

Bodin

GMBC
I think you misread. Comment on the bearing was in regards to Looks?
Ha ha shit - you're right. I thought rohval meant Dura-Ace's looks are nice. LOL :eek:

By the way - I officially hate you for getting your pedals so much cheaper than me. Thought I got the deal of the century. Having said that, though, even at the price I paid, the performance is outstanding.

csd

Likes Dirt
I had a set of Look Keo's for years and never had any problems with them or the cleats, but after some knee troubles I switched to a set of Time RXS Carbons. After getting used to engaging the RXS' I definitely prefer them.

I've tried Speedplays, but didn't like the feel of them - it felt like there wasn't enough contact area and I found my feet would cramp. Perhaps it was just in my mind as the pedals are so small..

a.davis12

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i like shimanos. ultegras are just as nice as da's but for $130 get the das. look are lame. the keo blades squeek from the frist day. the new i clicks are stupid and expensive too. $120 (interweb priceing) for their entry level plastic springed POS.

that said i run speedplays becuase they are light and cool.........shimanos are better though.

ausdb

Being who he is
Has anyone had any experience with the new Time Iclic's?
I like the way the Iclics hold the pedal in the position it was when you clicked out but don't know anyone who rides them to know if they are any good at all.

I am in the market for new pedals as well as my old roadie has Look deltas with the old Shimano Look pedals (the ones that sound like a gun going off when you click in)
My "new" second hand bike has R540 spd-sls and the "New New" bike didnt have any pedals at all, so it is currently fitted with some strange black plastic Look brand Deltas but I would like to standardise on something.

Pile

Likes Bikes
I like the way the Iclics hold the pedal in the position it was when you clicked out but don't know anyone who rides them to know if they are any good at all..
A riding partner loves his, but hates the cleats which are expensive and problematic. They wear quite quickly it seems. He's back to using an old set of mtb spd until he gets around to replacing them with some DAs.

toby

Likes Dirt
A riding partner loves his, but hates the cleats which are expensive and problematic. They wear quite quickly it seems. He's back to using an old set of mtb spd until he gets around to replacing them with some DAs.
Does he have the new I-clic cleats.. the first ones have been phased out.

I've ridden all the systems: Speedplay are the best, but yeah they are expensive and take some time to get step right but you can set then up anyway you want. However much float you need, and set independantly.

If you are worrying about how your cleats are to walk in, well you are in the wrong sport. They ain't made to be walked in!

Daver

Kung Fu Panda
I like the way the Iclics hold the pedal in the position it was when you clicked out but don't know anyone who rides them to know if they are any good at all.
Yes. I spent a week on them trying to get used to them...

...Put my old Keos back on afterwards.

Avoid them like the plague. They're too vague for entry and exit and have too much float for my liking. Yes they're easy to clip into, but no better than a Shimano or Keo with minimal spring tension.