Perfect Ramp Dimensions

CAMRIDESBIKES

Likes Dirt
Hey guys,
I'm currently designing for my MDP next year which will be incorporating a transformable kicker mounted on a trailer.

I'm just researching what the prefered angles and widths are for a ramp. It's basiclly going to be set up and demos and mates farms onto piles of dirt about 7 foot of height.

Your feedback would be appreciated

heppy

Likes Dirt
12ft radius, the best way to draw the curve is get a 12ft long piece of string,peg it into the ground then stretch the string out. place the ply wood under the end and draw a curve using the stretched out piece of strings arc. do this till you have 7ft tall curve.

patto_15

Wheel size expert
Hey guys,
I'm currently designing for my MDP next year which will be incorporating a transformable kicker mounted on a trailer.

I'm just researching what the prefered angles and widths are for a ramp. It's basiclly going to be set up and demos and mates farms onto piles of dirt about 7 foot of height.

Your feedback would be appreciated
Ignore everyone that says 'just fiddle around till it feels right', they know squat.. Listen to Heppy, he knows his shit ;)

Also, PM ricky as he has the dimensions of the Rampfest Box. I'm pretty sure its a radius of what Heppy says.

aidz44

Likes Dirt
Ignore everyone that says 'just fiddle around till it feels right', they know squat.. Listen to Heppy, he knows his shit ;)
touche
when you start fiddling around with a 7 ft ramp just to make it "feel good", bones get broken.
perhaps give some of the parks an email. i don't know who has DJ parks but you might get lucky.

good luck on your project

trailblazinBros

Likes Dirt
spiralling out of control

12 ft piece of string on the side of a 44 gallon oil drum.. as the string winds around the barrel the arc will get sharper as the barrel "rolls up the string"
...for a 7 foot high ramp you may want to try a slightly longer piece of string

heppy

Likes Dirt
12 ft piece of string on the side of a 44 gallon oil drum.. as the string winds around the barrel the arc will get sharper as the barrel "rolls up the string"
...for a 7 foot high ramp you may want to try a slightly longer piece of string
that would be horrible?, wouldnt it make it to kicky at the end, ramps/lips should be a consistent curve not a curve that kinks up sharper at the top. thats what sends you over the barrrrs or just feels like crap.

for anyone wondering what a good ramp feels like. The airdome foam pit ramp in whistler is
6ft 2" tall and a 12ft radius. and thats feels pretty solid and nice.

dcrofty

Eats Squid
Try YouTube there are a heap of 'How to' posts on there about building ramps and quarter pipes and some of the vids have links to websites with plans and dimensions. I searched 'build bmx ramp' and then surfed the related vids.

Disclaimer. Some of the vids probably contain bad advice and/or wrong dimensions but if you have a good look round I'm sure you can find something that helps you out.

elliotdhmcgeary

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thought i'd use this thread to ask ...

For ramps and / or dirt, what degrees should the lip be launching you into the air at? Common sense is telling me 45 but most seem to be steeper than that? Also, is there any rough "guidelines" people go to for building DJ's, like the 12ft radius thing that was mentioned earlier ...

tim_d

Likes Dirt
45 degrees theoretically will give you the most distance. A 30 degree lip will give the same amount of distance as a 60 degree lip at the same speed, but for the 60 degree you will go lots higher.
Really, if you want distance, build it 45 degrees. If you want trick jumps to go heaps high and not very far, build it really steep (75-80 degreesish).
All depends on your jumps and the speed you're hitting them really. Wow this really didn't help much :p