Personal Locator Beacon

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Pharmaboy is spot on the money. It's about having some insurance against total loss. The point is I have no reception. If I got bitten by a snake (highly unlikely I know) or crashed and broke my leg I could be in there for a long time....Even these phone apps, don't they require reception to send out the GPS co-ordinates? The GPS function is just to locate not to send out the message? Unless I'm wrong? I know SPOT can do it but you have to subscribe to them. I'm getting an ACR. Thanks for the help everyone!

Last edited:

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Personally, I'd get a SPOT.

PLB's like the ACR are all well and good but they have to be activated (so you have to be capable of hitting the button) and then they have to be found by either a satellite or an overflying aircraft (which can take many hours). If you've trashed yourself on a trail...ask yourself if you are going to be physically capable of finding the PLB and pressing the button.

SPOT's are activated before you go out (whilst you are undamaged) and provide the capacity for others to track you in real time(ish) because it is always sending its location to a specific service - so that even if you are incapable of hitting the SOS button - someone can find you when you don't check in. Frankly, that's worth the subscription fee. We know this to be true...we've tested it.

An inactive PLB lying in a backpack that's on the back of a damaged and unconscious cyclist lying on an unmarked trail in the middle of nowhere...is as useful as a chocolate teapot.

DMan

That is an extremely valid point you make though. You do have to be in a state to use it. And there is a good chance that if you need a PLB you won't be..... It is peace of mind for the people waiting for you to return too.

Comic Book Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Personally, I'd get a SPOT.

PLB's like the ACR are all well and good but they have to be activated (so you have to be capable of hitting the button) and then they have to be found by either a satellite or an overflying aircraft (which can take many hours). If you've trashed yourself on a trail...ask yourself if you are going to be physically capable of finding the PLB and pressing the button.

SPOT's are activated before you go out (whilst you are undamaged) and provide the capacity for others to track you in real time(ish) because it is always sending its location to a specific service - so that even if you are incapable of hitting the SOS button - someone can find you when you don't check in. Frankly, that's worth the subscription fee. We know this to be true...we've tested it.

An inactive PLB lying in a backpack that's on the back of a damaged and unconscious cyclist lying on an unmarked trail in the middle of nowhere...is as useful as a chocolate teapot.
I agree. It really is a case of making an assessment of what is best for the situation you think you will find yourself in.

As someone who generally bushwalks with others a plb suits my situation better. I generally only ride alone on the local trails and my family know where I am (most of the time).

Cheers,
CBG.

Last edited:

Jubas

Likes Dirt
That is an extremely valid point you make though. You do have to be in a state to use it. And there is a good chance that if you need a PLB you won't be..... It is peace of mind for the people waiting for you to return too.
I'm not sure there is a 'good chance' you won't be able to use it. You'd have to be unconscious or unable to move (spinal injury for e.g.) in order to not use it. There are a hell of a lot of other situations that could force you to hit the emergency button.. I think there's a slight chance that you won't be able to activate it

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've been thinking about getting a spot tracker for some time, now added to Christmas wish list....

I ride at least once a week at night and am alone for part of the time with no phone coverage, steep fire roads and loads of roos.

Peace of mind for the wife too, if they call and get no answer (don't always hear phone in camelback) they can see you are still moving with live track.

DMan

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I've read the Spot uses different satellites to the ACR unit. The ACR uses the Cospas/Sarsat system which is 2 different satellite systems where as the Spot uses Globalstar which is 1 and doesn't have the earth coverage of the latter. In several reviews that I read they were saying it's still very important to have an emergency plan for the use of PLBs. If you are expecting OK messages from the Spot they found they could take up to 2hours for them to be sent/ recieved? You could be home by the time the message arrives or if you're other half is waiting for that message and it doesn't come on time then that's stressful too..... The ACR is also transmitts at 5W compared to the Spots 0.4W and at a lower frequency band. This is very important if you're in the bush and "line of sight" to a satellite is difficult to achieve due to trees and/or weather conditions. So if you're looking for a PLB SOLELY for emergency conditions the ACR still looks like the good way to go to me. I'm not saying don't get the Spot by any means. Just make sure you clarify to yourself what you need out of your PLB. My 2C.

Last edited:

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Now correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I've read the Spot uses different satellites to the ACR unit. The ACR uses the Cospas/Sarsat system which is 2 different satellite systems where as the Spot uses Globalstar which is 1 and doesn't have the earth coverage of the latter. In several reviews that I read they were saying it's still very important to have an emergency plan for the use of PLBs. If you are expecting OK messages from the Spot they found they could take up to 2hours for them to be sent/ recieved? You could be home by the time the message arrives or if you're other half is waiting for that message and it doesn't come on time then that's stressful too..... The ACR is also transmitts at 5W compared to the Spots 0.4W and at a lower frequency band. This is very important if you're in the bush and "line of sight" to a satellite is difficult to achieve due to trees and/or weather conditions. So if you're looking for a PLB SOLELY for emergency conditions the ACR still looks like the good way to go to me. I'm not saying don't get the Spot by any means. Just make sure you clarify to yourself what you need out of your PLB. My 2C.
Thanks, good info.

Anyone using spot that can comment on the messages delay, sounds a bit useless for my needs if that is the case.....

Thanks, good info.

Anyone using spot that can comment on the messages delay, sounds a bit useless for my needs if that is the case.....
Never had an issue, works every time. As said earlier, I've tested it in all conditions and messages come through as promptly as standard text/emails. I believe the only satellite dead area for SPOT is in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. Good luck if you're riding there!

DMan

Lol. Well there you go! Thanks. Although I'll have to change my riding destination for this weekend if that's the case.... :shocked: Which Spot do you have by the way? And which service plan? Just the basic?

Last edited:

redbruce

Eats Squid
Correct.

That's why my Scout Group went PLB for remote activities. We originally got it to manage risk so that kids with anaphylaxis could experience outdoor (remote) activities more safely (or even at all).

That means it needs to be 100% reliable.

We have a GME Acusat.

Last edited:

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
I have a Garmin 510 which I believe can be set up to do live (GPS) tracking.
It is something I am going to set-up but just haven't got around to it. Has anyone set there Garmin 510/810 up to do this? If so, how well does it work?

wombat

Lives in a hole
I have a Garmin 510 which I believe can be set up to do live (GPS) tracking.
It is something I am going to set-up but just haven't got around to it. Has anyone set there Garmin 510/810 up to do this? If so, how well does it work?
It will do it via a compatible smartphone, so just remember it'll only work for as long as the phone's battery lasts.

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It will do it via a compatible smartphone, so just remember it'll only work for as long as the phone's battery lasts.
Had a nice long reply about this, but my internet dropped out (thanks Commander you fuckin muppets) and I lost it, so here goes round 2!

The 510 and 810 are good at sending data so you can be tracked, as long as you have a data connection and enough battery life left. So you really have to be with the major telco whose coverage is fairly extensive if you are going to rely on this technology. Then there is the battery life of your phone. I have a samsung and it wouldn't last 2 hrs of constant drain.

I use the Mapmyride app on my phone and if I am riding by myself I set it to update Facebook every few km or so. If I happen to need help, in theory, my wife can look at my position via the link and see where my last location was. Far from perfect but it is OK as I only ride well known trails. Going to the blue mountains over the xmas break and will be on unknown (to me) trails so I will have to think of a better system, or find someone else who wants to escape their in-laws as much as I do to go riding with me.

I've also been meaning to buy a portable emergency phone recharger to stick in my backpack. If something bad happens and I need help it's not really a matter of just a 30sec phone call. They like you to stay on the line and give directions, condition updates etc.

DMan

And that's what got me into all of this. There's plenty of aps out there but they rely on you having cell phone coverage to send out the GPS coordinates. I've got a Rosmos external charger. 10amps. Will charge my phone from flat 4 times. 256g. Was only $40 off ebay. The might an option for you?

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
And that's what got me into all of this. There's plenty of aps out there but they rely on you having cell phone coverage to send out the GPS coordinates. I've got a Rosmos external charger. 10amps. Will charge my phone from flat 4 times. 256g. Was only $40 off ebay. The might an option for you?
At the moment my phone handles the two 10km laps I do of the local track haha. I've got a 2nd phone battery that I will take with my over the Xmas break riding adventures.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Thanks, good info.

There certainly can be message delay and the capacity to transmit is much the same as any decent GPS...if you don't have line of sight then your capacity is certainly compromised. However...a similar (but slightly different) set of risks apply to a PLB.

As I've said...I'd get a SPOT. Faced with the choice of a PLB or fuck all...I'd take a PLB. Truth is...never EVER EVER go out riding anywhere without an exit strategy. Regardless of whether it's electronic of otherwise. Tell someone where you are going (exactly) and when you'll be back (within limits) and when you might check in during the time you are out.

Never rely totally on the electronic nanny. No matter what it is. If it is a smart phone then don't rely on it at all. After all it is just a fucking phone.

Like the one used by a now dead person out the west of Hattah, Victoria who came off his motorcycle a few weeks back. I may not have the details spot-on but I think it went down like this: Dead Guy called a mate (just) who knew he was out riding but didn't really know where. Dead Guy couldn't tell him where he was. Both Mate and Dead Guy (separately) ring the cops. Mixed information leads to piss poor search. Finally...cops manage to kind of triangulate the phone signal. After six hours, police manage to find Dead Guy beside his bike on a track a long way from the initial search area. Phone still getting a signal perched on the seat of the propped up bike. Dead Guy was just that, lying beside the bike. Don't be that guy. It will bring sadness to your family. I have sadness for his.

DMan

That's very true. Especially in that case where, assuming as you say you have the facts right, any sort of GPS ap could have saved his life...

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So, what should the average punter take with them when out riding when a PLB etc aren't viable? Are there any good phone apps that work as a spot tracker for known tracks rather than the middle of nowhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DMan

I found plenty of aps if you have phone service. This is only about if you have NO service like me. Im going with a spot. That way I can do "ok" if Im lost (Im good at that!) and a few track points here and there. I like the idea of a "Im in trouble but not life threatening" button too. Peeps here who have a spot reckon they send messages and they're recieved quickly which was my concern. I'd read contrary to that. So getting feedback from "real" users from here is invaluable to me.