PERTH : Good bike fitting service?

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
Can anyone recommend a good bike fitting company?

I know everyone in town does it but have also seent he results of some of them and its scary.

Even one did the MTB as well which came out at 20mm more seat extension and 15mm more reach than his road bike. Does not make sense.

Have heard AvantiPlus Cannington is good.

Anyone else?

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Seek out Steve Hoggs bike fitting blog.
Pay $20 subscription and start reading.
I have paid good money to various others for fitting and have never been as happy as when I have used Steve's advice.

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
Just some feedback.

Have tracked down Chris Beeck, Coach and bike fitter.

Seeing him this Monday, Also will be helping me increase my training.

Also doing a lot of reading on Steve Hoggs forums, Good stuff there

are you looking at using his coaching services? I would be interested in knowing how that goes. I had been thinking of trying 6 months on the carmichael site, or maybe just one of the training peaks downloads, but am unsure. More just for a bit of motivation and improve fitness in time for winter.

I would be interested to hear how the bike fit went. I did it at TBE about 3 years ago. Not sure if they still do it. Was worth while I thought and did seem to improve my comfort a lot. I recently changed saddles and didnt measure afterwards. then did a 4+ hour ride and ended up with a saddle sore. Revisited my bike fit measurements and sorted it.

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just some feedback.

Have tracked down Chris Beeck, Coach and bike fitter.

Seeing him this Monday, Also will be helping me increase my training.

Also doing a lot of reading on Steve Hoggs forums, Good stuff there
From experience with multiple fitters Retul and Body Geometry (which are now both owned by Specialized) and one other non Specialized fitter, you will find that many fitters will put your saddle height significantly higher than what you will arrive at with Steve's method.

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
Well post bike fit.

nothing major, Dropped my saddle 20mm and moved my cleats forward 15mm.

Changed the stem from a 100 to 90mm stem.

Everything else was okay, It was was also great value to find out about my body's quirks, eg my right foot and femur are very slightly longer. Always size the bike on that side.

Outcome, Better power at the bottom of the stroke, potential less stress on the ciatic nerve.

oh, should be more competitive in next years Tour de France ;)

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well post bike fit.

nothing major, Dropped my saddle 20mm and moved my cleats forward 15mm.

Changed the stem from a 100 to 90mm stem.

Everything else was okay, It was was also great value to find out about my body's quirks, eg my right foot and femur are very slightly longer. Always size the bike on that side.

Outcome, Better power at the bottom of the stroke, potential less stress on the ciatic nerve.

oh, should be more competitive in next years Tour de France ;)
Wow, if he moved your cleats forward 15mm and your saddle down 20mm that means you were about 30mm too high.
If he left your cleats where they were he could have moved the saddle down about another 10mm and maybe not sold you a shorter stem.

And "nothing major"??
30mm is HUGE!!!!!
20mm is major.

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
Wow, if he moved your cleats forward 15mm and your saddle down 20mm that means you were about 30mm too high.
If he left your cleats where they were he could have moved the saddle down about another 10mm and maybe not sold you a shorter stem.

And "nothing major"??
30mm is HUGE!!!!!
20mm is major.
Actually
Moved cleats forward so axle was above ball of foot. Was behind previously.
Seat dropped down as I was lifting my heel too high.
Also by dropping the saddle actually moved the saddle slightly forward.
The stem was a spare of mine.

wilddemon

Likes Dirt
interesting. Have been considering moving my cleats back after reading up a bit about mid foot cleat positions, to reduce effort on calves. Let me know how it goes.

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
I think the mid foot position is popular with triathletes as it leaves the calves fresher for the run section.

Having the cleat forward and below the ball allows better power through the entire pedal stroke.

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think the mid foot position is popular with triathletes as it leaves the calves fresher for the run section.

Having the cleat forward and below the ball allows better power through the entire pedal stroke.
Sorry this is a myth that is populated by people whose bikefitting training espoused it.
I have used both and I find the cleat further back to be more powerful and also stops me getting "hot foot".