Petrol Prices Rant.

Tomas

my mum says im cool
People cannot seriously believe that wiping 5c a litre of petrol is an effective strategy. To the boagns that AC Neilsen surveys - pull your fucking head in. Someone please explain to me how cutting petrol excise by 5c a litre is a good idea.

Going to have to side with KRudd on this one. Good, long term economic management is NOT cutting 5cents a litre off.

Edit: I dont think Australians realize how bloody lucky we are. We've been protected by the falling US dollar/rising AUD. Oil has gone up 500% in the last 10 years (from memory), and 100% in the last 12 months. What have our petrol prices done? Not that by any means.

Last edited:

patto94

Likes Dirt
I agree just because every one else is, But they prices are just rediculisly high and there saying to swap cars to gas which costs 2 grand. But that is why we have bikes.

Joel O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
as far as i'm concerned, petrol is cheap. it could double in price and i'd still happily pay for it. sure, i'd drive less, i'd be a bit more forward thinking about where i need to go etc but at the end of the day i wouldn't feel ripped off.

anybody who says they are paying TOO MUCH for petrol (or anything for that matter) is a moron. if you don't like the price of petrol, don't buy it!

Last edited:

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Exactly, what the fuck is knocking off 5c/L going to do?

Say your putting 20L of fuel in your car at $1.50, knock 5c/L off that and you're only saving one lousy fucking dollar.

Not buying a packet of chewy at the counter is more likely to make a greater difference to the pocket than a 5c/L decrease.

Pete J

loves his dog
How much does fuel cost in Oz right now? (Regular 95 octane)
At the moment prices here are hovering at just below 1.60e per litre and we are told that they will go as high as 1.70e in the near future.
For those interested, at current exchange rates 1.60e is $2.63 AUD, according to www.xe.com
Can you imagine paying that much?

Last edited:

downhillerBen

Likes Dirt
The petrol price IS way out of hand, i don't drive myself but my Dad is actually hesitant to drive me to tracks because it will use up so much fuel..
Diesel is the worst, it is easier to manufacture than unleaded yet it is an extra 35 cents per litre for me.. I mean i understand Kevin Rudd's idea of raising prices etc... but its out of hand, its raised about 10 cents over the last month of diesel where i am..

And i'm not keen on catching the train around so i want to drive to tracks and friends houses so whenever i ask my Dad for a lift he is hesitant to go because of these fuel prices.
Story from yesterday, he didn't want to make 2 trips so instead of dropping me at my mates house at 9:30 he dropped me there at 11:10, to fit in with his other plans and if the diesel prices weren't so high then i could have been there a few hours earlier.

My figures are just approximate..

Sps.

Banned
People cannot seriously believe that wiping 5c a litre of petrol is an effective strategy. To the boagns that AC Neilsen surveys - pull your fucking head in. Someone please explain to me how cutting petrol excise by 5c a litre is a good idea.

Going to have to side with KRudd on this one. Good, long term economic management is NOT cutting 5cents a litre off.
Digging myself a hole here; but I think the recent price increase is a good thing.

As petrol prices increase, it forces people to stop driving, to stop using up the worlds resources and to stop destroying the planet, yes?

More expensive petrol = less people on the road.
Less people on the road = better driving conditions for drivers and cyclists.

There are a few downfalls though: Forcing poor/less wealthy/even just normal people off the roads or to cut costs in other areas of their lives. Food e.t.c. that is transported by truck is getting hard to transport due to costs. Flights and public transport is becoming more expensive. There are many more downfalls than there are up-sides, but hey.

Tomas

my mum says im cool
How much does fuel cost in Oz right now? (Regular 95 octane)
At the moment prices here are hovering at just below 1.60e per litre and we are told that they will go as high as 1.70e in the near future.
For those interested, at current exchange rates 1.60e is $2.63, according to www.xe.com
Can you imagine paying that much?
Yes. I just think 12 months into the future.

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Petrol prices are market driven. We are running out sooner or later and the idiotic war in Iraq which the vast majority of Australians supported in 2003 increased the instabilty in the middle east which keeps raising prices.

Either way cutting a few cents of which the goverment uses as a tax (and we are all sure they put it to good use :) ) will make no difference, especially when the prices just rise an extra five cents in a few weeks/months anyway.

Rudd is right on this, Liberal's are still headless chickens desperate to make an impression with the idiotic part of the public.

People need to drive less, have smaller cars, car share whatever... use public transport.. and heck public transport needs to be improved.. etc etc etc... We need to change our way of thinking.

So high prices are painful, but they are a reality so we need to get used to it, pull our fingers out of our fat arses and wake up and change...

(rant over....)

manfairy1

Banned
who cares?

petrol should be cheap again...my dad wont even drive me to the station because of the price!
who cares if we fuck up the planet?...half of us will be living on mars by the time this planet is in serious trouble - or the moon...wotever
so petrol should be cheaper so we can drive everywhere and take public transport/walk/bike ride to get places IF WE WANT TO

downhillerBen

Likes Dirt
I remember the days when $1.00 AUD was significantly high for petrol :rolleyes:
Those where the days...

I think there are 2 sides to this argument, and i'm not going to rant on about them but say simply that they are to high, it isn't helping anyone.. people have to drive they can't just stop altogether and it just making people poorer..

As i complained before diesel is easier to manufacture, i mean they have to add less to it and do less to it yet its is farking more expensive than normal unleaded and diesel even lasts longer (i mean you get more KMs out of a full tank of diesel than regular unleaded)..

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
More expensive petrol = less people on the road.
Less people on the road = better driving conditions for drivers and cyclists.
Whilst the price of a barrel of oil is not solely dictated by petrol consumption, it is a substantial part as is the demand for power generation, plastics manufacturing etc.

It's simple supply and demand at the moment and demand is far outstripping supply. Whilst it may cause those of us in the west to be more conservative in our energy consumption, the high price will NOT lead to less cars on the road if you look at it from a worldwide viewpoint.

Me, I'm personally sick of getting these idiotic chain letters calling for boycotts of the largest two petrol suppliers in a hope of bringing down prices (in this latest one for the UK they've stated BP and Esso - despite Shell far outweighing Esso in size)

It won't achieve a damn thing as the price of a barrel of oil is not dictated at the servo!

manfairy1

Banned
whoa...there's actually some really smart shit being said here....i thought this website would be full of idiots who only know about bikes, but here's politics and everything being talked about:confused::eek:

|Matt|

Banned
petrol should be cheap again...my dad wont even drive me to the station because of the price!
who cares if we fuck up the planet?...half of us will be living on mars by the time this planet is in serious trouble - or the moon...wotever
so petrol should be cheaper so we can drive everywhere and take public transport/walk/bike ride to get places IF WE WANT TO
Oh god....