PF BB Tools

Mafra

Likes Bikes
Hi Team

in the space of 2 years, I've gone from having four bikes in the household fleet with BSA bottom brackets, to having

1x BB86 - Giant Warranty replacement frame
1x PF30 - new cx bike, that 12 months later comes with a BSA BB, but alas.
1x BB30 - second hand BMC
1x BSA -wifes bike, only one that hasn't changed over.

I've got the BSA tools sorted, but I'm planning on investing in proper tools for the pressfit stuff.

Anyone have any thoughts on the removal tools and their cross compatibility between 30 and BB86? I'm currently looking at the Park gear so it's comes down to the BBT-90.3 or the BBT-30.3.

Also, has anyone bought the wheels manufacturing press/drift etc and know if the thread is the same size as the Park drifts supplied in the above tools.

Cheers in advance, I appareciate everyone has their views on the appropriateness of the various bb standards, but these are what I've got to work with.

M

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Unior tools

As an alternative =>

Our first major shipment of Unior tools has just landed and hopefully will start appearing in select stores

BB30 (621660) & BB90 (623085) specific cups
RRP = $59.95 & $69.95 respectively.
From what I've seen our pricing is comparable to Euro online retailers & even ebay sellers from the US

BB 90 A = 60, B = 54, C=9 D = 29.75
It also supports other press fit standards with 24mm spindle, such as BB86, BB92, SRAM Press Fit GXP. The removal tool will pull the bearings & cup from the frame. Carefully insert the guide head of removal tool trough the bottom bracket cup (marked green).
http://www.uniortools.com/cgi-bin/cms.cgi?doc=10780&prod=303784

BB 30 A=60, B=54, C=17, D=35
http://www.uniortools.com/cgi-bin/cms.cgi?doc=10780&prod=129857

Pretty sure we can do just the spindle as the cups are the same. queries info@pushie.com.au

placebo

Likes Dirt
I've always just used headset removal tools on the pf bbs I've had, clean as. Then knocked them in with a rubber mallet, might've used my headset press if they were tricky to get aligned.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
I love tool. No I really love tools. I probably have in excess of $15,000 in tools.
But I found BB86 to remove and fit with a pin punch and a hammer. However I did damage the old one taking it out but wasn't re-using it so it didn't matter.
Can you re-use the old bearings if you use the proper tools?

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
You don't need anything too specific for removing press-fit BBs, just a metal rod & a hammer. BB86/90/92 press-fits can be removed without damage to the housings, but there's also a good chance of stuffing them regardless of how careful you are. PF30 housings are damn near impossible to remove undamaged (the ones I've seen anyway). In either case, manufacturers do not recommend reusing knocked-out bearing assemblies.

Headset presses aren't ideal for inserting PF30 housings, 'cos they're generally not big enough & press on the bearings rather than the housings, which is decidely not in the bearings' best interests. If you don't have a big enough diameter press, you can use a bench vice of suitable size to squeeze them in.