photos from i-pod to powerbook

glen

MV Australia
got a shitty problem at the moment and have asked everybody from apple stores to others IT crews, not much luck, so here is a question to anybody that maybe knows something about apple gear.

I have a G4 powerbook, it started playing up one day, and i thought hang on, this looks like we have a crash lining up, I went out and bought a 60gig vid i-pod to back up all my files, music and photos.

Keeping to the whole apple family i transfered all my music and photos, via i-tunes and i-photo to my i-pod. the next day the powerbook laptop crashed, i lost all my other files i didnt get in time to transfer. At least i have all my photos from years of travel and work saved. i get my new upgraded lappy back and started dropping my music back from my i-pod (much pissing around, as apple doesnt believe once you own music, u cant share it with yourself, so off to the illegal senuti program to make this happen) the music is back in i-tunes on my lappy.

but as for photos, this is where my problem starts.

I can view all my photos on the i-pod, but there is now way of returning my photos from the i-pod to my laptop or any other device. these are all my photos of tracks, races, parties, everything, from years and years of digital collections, especially all my work photos. I downloaded a program called i-pod view, but no luck, and as i said before any apple store play the ostrich game and stick the heads in the sand when i ask the question.

Now I have my photos all in a useless little apple crate.

is there a solution? much appreciating some direction

jakes

brisneyland

Likes Dirt
Dude, when you initially transferred the pics to the ipod, did you tick a little box somewhere that said 'include full resolution photos' ????

If you did, you should be able to double click on the ipod (mounted on your desktop) and copy the full res pics back to your PB.

If you didn't, I'm afraid you might only have thumbnails of your pics :(

tu plang

knob
brisneyland said:
Dude, when you initially transferred the pics to the ipod, did you tick a little box somewhere that said 'include full resolution photos' ????

If you did, you should be able to double click on the ipod (mounted on your desktop) and copy the full res pics back to your PB.

If you didn't, I'm afraid you might only have thumbnails of your pics :(
yeah i couldnt bring myself to telling him this, losing photos is a horrible feeling.

brisneyland

Likes Dirt
I'd break down and cry.

Actually, I just checked and mine weren't full res copies (I reinstalled the OS recently and the setting must have changed.)

Keep a copy on an external drive or DVD as well.

Martin.au

Likes Dirt
OK, now that I've refreshed my memory on how it works.

Glen, a quick question:

Does the iPod show up on your desktop when you plug it in?

If it doesn't please go to Finder, then Finder menu -> Preferences. Then tick that you want to see iPods DVD's and CD's on the desktop.

Also, go to iTunes, then iTunes menu -> Preferences and toggle the iPod to allow disk use.

Once it shows up on the desktop open the iPod and see if there's a folder called Photos. In there should be a folder called Thumbs, a folder called Full Resolution and a file called Photo Database. If the folder called Full Resolution isn't there then you're screwed. You may be able to recover thumbnail sized images if you're lucky and can find some software that can decipher them.

In the future, if you want to backup your files, then copy the appropriate folder from your home folder to the backup device. Then you will be working with the raw files rather than running the risk of translation through an application. For example if you want to backup your music, copy your music directory, using Finder to the iPod. If you want to backup all your files, copy your whole home folder to the iPod.

You can also use free backup software such as silverkeeper
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/14521
to do backups to your iPod. I'd recommend trying that.

Where is the original hard drive that died? Have you still got it or can you reacquire it?

Last edited:

W2ttsy

Likes Dirt
im surprised that the apple store didnt try to recover your drive as part of the swap over.

see if you can still get the drive back (they should still have it) and put it in another machine. 1 hard crash does not mean gone. it could have been an issue with the machine too, so in a donor might be worth a shot.

W2ttsy

Rik

logged out
True, as long as a hard drive can physically tick over there's a good chance the data can be recovered through various means... all depends how much you want to spend ;)

glen

MV Australia
not good

"In there should be a folder called Thumbs, a folder called Full Resolution and a file called Photo Database. If the folder called Full Resolution isn't there then you're screwed."

yep i am screwed, i had highlighted the "full resolution" box only the first time when i had used it, and assumed this would stay, but it must of happily re-adjusted itself back to default. In the full resolution folder i have only 1 photo. i have many in thumbs folder, (about 4 gig) but these are in an application apple cant read, even though apple made it.

hey guys, thanks for the advice anyways, im pissed though, my rear hub cracked today, so i cant even ride it out the anger. ha

glen

MV Australia
yea sorry, martin.au,

the apple shop tried a search on the old drive with no luck, it didnt even register at all, i then gave it too another company, no luck there either.