Pike Bushing Damage Help!!!

stinkytodamax

Likes Dirt
Hi Guys

As a Ham fisted ex car mechanic I made a booboo last night when services my Pikes. I have placed what I think is a substantial dent/impact into the lower bushing and wanting to avoid buying a whole new set of lowers was looking for any workable solutions as to how to smooth it out and get going again.

Would be super grateful for any suggestions.

IMG_6826.jpg

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
You need one of these

Otherwise you can make your own using a threaded rod and a washer to remove the bushing.

teK--

Eats Squid
I don't believe RS sells replacement bushings for the new Pike. I asked NSD they said it needs new lowers.

If there is no high spot id keep using them otherwise try and smooth out the burr with a diamond file and keep riding.

stinkytodamax

Likes Dirt
I don't believe RS sells replacement bushings for the new Pike. I asked NSD they said it needs new lowers.

If there is no high spot id keep using them otherwise try and smooth out the burr with a diamond file and keep riding.
Yeah I've learnt.

The bushing is actually pretty soft so I'll have a go at smoothing it out and packing it with judy butter for the short term.

I can't believe SRAM don't make the bushings replaceable its a $10 part FFS.

Every car I ever worked on had replaceable bushings that were cheap and easy to press out and in.
I was shocked to find out the cost today.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Remove the high spot and it will be fine. Alternatively measure OD, ID and length and google, could be a commercially available bush.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Alternatively measure OD, ID and length and google, could be a commercially available bush.
This is an excellent idea, as you'll need to remove the bushing to measure accurately, you'll most likely cause more damage, rendering it completely unusable, and making your decision to bite the bullet and replace the lowers that much easier.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse

So when your bushings wear out or get damaged, you just buy new lowers? The world has gone mad....

teK--

Eats Squid
So when your bushings wear out or get damaged, you just buy new lowers? The world has gone mad....
Yes according to RS!!! Or they just try to convince you to buy their newest and greatest fork... Which is only now available in boost so you need new wheels too lol.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
This is an excellent idea, as you'll need to remove the bushing to measure accurately, you'll most likely cause more damage, rendering it completely unusable, and making your decision to bite the bullet and replace the lowers that much easier.
Just because your tool cannot measure in situ doesn't mean we all have that problem.

stinkytodamax

Likes Dirt
Just because your tool cannot measure in situ doesn't mean we all have that problem.
So news is that lowers are $600 and a six week wait WTF.

If anyone has a set of fork they are looking to offload let me know. I'm going on a family holiday in less than three weeks and would love to take my bike.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I done a set on Revs and it was a nightmare, had to make tools to press them in and then needed to hone it to size. It's hours of work.

Leave it if you can and clean it up. Cover the rest of the bush with some adhesive tape and lightly touch it with a dremel or die grinder.

Last edited:

stinkytodamax

Likes Dirt
I done a set on Revs and it was a nightmare, had to make tools to press them in and then needed to hone it to size. It hours of work.

Leave it if you can and clean it up. Cover the rest of the bush with some adhesive tape and lightly touch it with a dremel or die grinder.
That's pretty much where I'm at. Trying to find someone with a hone that knows what they are doing. I wish forks weren't so god damn geoblocked these days.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I done a set and it was a nightmare, had to make tools to press them in and then needed to hone it to size.

Leave it if you can and clean it up.
I've swapped bushing in 32mm SIDS, had to make tools too. Washer with flats for removal, lowers with an old bushing pinned on to push against the new bushing.

The SIDS have/had a taper on the inside of the lowers, inserting the bushings further in set the gap, but they were 2012 sids, not sure about latest generation and setting gaps.

stinkytodamax

Likes Dirt
I've swapped bushing in 32mm SIDS, had to make tools too. Washer with flats for removal, lowers with an old bushing pinned on to push against the new bushing.

The SIDS have/had a taper on the inside of the lowers, inserting the bushings further in set the gap, but they were 2012 sids, not sure about latest generation and setting gaps.
It looks like a standard press fit which I or my excellent LBS could easy deal with but the problem is no spares exist. If I didnt have carbon hoops with i9 hubs and another boost bike I'd be just buying an old pike and wheel for less than the cost of new lowers.