Pike RC (130mm), 115kg rider, bottomless tokens... Yep, set up Q.

slo

Likes Dirt
Hi all!
just got new bike, going through initial set up.
Running some 130mm Pike RC with charger damper. Rear suspension is sorted.
Im more of a trail rider than enduring bro.

Looking for heavy dudes setups (psi / how many bottomless tokens you run) and how you've found it.
Sram site says if you're above 90kg, you need between 105-163psi (broad), I understand I need to set it to 20% sag. Just looking to narrow down the psi if someone of similar weight can chime in.

Regarding tokens, helped a buddy set up his forks a while back. He weights 80kg, but rides more aggressively. Threw two tokens in his, but he found that created too much resistance in final stroke, so we dropped it back to one token and he is happy.
Because I am heavier, should I go straight to two tokens... Or because I'm less aggressive should I initially try one and go from there??

Thanks for the assistance!

SummitFever

Eats Squid
It's so easy to adjust air pressure and add/remove tokens that I'd start with no tokens, adjust air pressure until you have about 25% sag. Ride it and see how it feels - keep the rebound on the fast side and run as little comp damping as you can, no platform etc. Chances are it'll bottom out too easily at your weight, but give it a go anyway to get a feel for your new fork. Keep adding tokens until and setting your sag at 25% until you get the bottoming under control.

At that point, you can tune how it feels in terms of mid stroke support by varying your sag between around 20% and 30%. Less sag will make the fork ride a little higher in the mid stroke.

Finally, add back in some comp damping or platform to taste. Also, you'll need to adjust your rebound each time you change to air pressure in the fork. Keep it in the faster side though. Too much rebound damping will make it impossible to properly tune/feel the effects of the changes you make in the spring curve with pressure and tokens.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
I've got a 150mm Pike and I'm ~125 kg kitted up, but here's my setup:

3 tokens.
90 psi.
Two clicks off full of low speed compression to stop it diving.
Nice and plush on the small stuff, ramps up nicely when I need it.

Last edited:
115kg, 2 tokens in 150mm pike. Best thing I done was to up the internal rim width from 23mm to 27 with 2.3tyres.
4 clicks on the compression and 7 on the rebound from slow.
Too many variables with weight, bike set up, riding style, and terrain.
Try one token and take it off the biggest drop you do. If it bottoms add another and so on.
Second best thing I done was get a hyperformance service on the shock and fork with low friction seals and nitrogen instead of air in the spring chamber.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
At 115kg you will need tokens at a minimum. As already mentioned.... start with 1 and go from there.

Does the RC Pike have compression damping adjustment?! I thought not.

You may need some custom shim tuning also.... but try tokens and sag pressures.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

moorey

call me Mia
At 115kg you will need tokens at a minimum. As already mentioned.... start with 1 and go from there.

Does the RC Pike have compression damping adjustment?! I thought not.

You may need some custom shim tuning also.... but try tokens and sag pressures.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk
No the LSC dial, but it does have about 10 clicks of compression replacing the 'climb/trail/descend'.
The RC are a fantastic fork. Try 2 tokens. It's a 5 min job.

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
RS ship with 2 tokens for 130mm in 26/27.5
You can go up to 5, so I'd be starting with 2 (if you don't already) and go from there.
Shockwiz tuning may be an option, but have tokens ready and time available to ride it before you hire one is my advice

Al

slo

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the feedback all, appreciate it :thumb: Gives me a bit of a entry point to start with.
Outerlimits - Bike has factory wide rims which is cool.
Once bike is skinned, will get out for a ride and update if anyone is interested.

Miguel75

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the feedback all, appreciate it :thumb: Gives me a bit of a entry point to start with.
Outerlimits - Bike has factory wide rims which is cool.
Once bike is skinned, will get out for a ride and update if anyone is interested.
Updates please, including pics. I'm always interested in seeing different bike options.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Im 110kgs kitted up and ride a Pike RCT 140mm 29er fork. Still trying to tune it but have settled on 1 token, 90 psi and 3 clicks of LSC with 8 clicks off fully fast rebound. I was running 3 tokens and 70 psi and couldnt get my sag without it diving. Reducing tokens has made the fork more supple for the small stuff, sits into its 25% sag and doesnt wallow. It does use all its travel which if I was seriously hacking to flat- might be an issue but for mere mortals.............. I was comparing it to my Fox 34 which I must say I prefer over the Pikes but these changes have helped alot.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
...Reducing tokens has made the fork more supple for the small stuff, sits into its 25% sag and doesnt wallow...
This is why I always suggest starting with no tokens (no matter how heavy you are). Particularly when you're running the Pike at 130mm. It is starting with a very small pos air chamber compared to running it at say 160mm.

Adding/removing tokens is so easy that you owe it to yourself to start with none and move up from there. Also, I can't over-emphasize how irrelevant other people's "settings" are particularly with heavier riders. Body position and weight distribution is highly dynamic on a bike. The more you weigh, the more affect moving around on the bike has. Two riders with identical speed and weight can have radically different front end setups depending on where their bars are and how they position themselves into and out of corners and down the steep stuff.