Pike vs Revelation

Go

Likes Dirt
Just got myself a 2016 Kona Honzo ST frame. Now the fun process of building it up begins. Here is where the rotorburn collective experience will be handy. Do I get a 120mm or 130mm fork (29 inch wheels)? and do I fork out the extra cash for Pikes or get the Revs? I have the pikes in my AM rig and love them. Both are basically the same weight. I guess the question is if the pikes are 300 bucks better than the revs? Most riding will be around fairly smooth trails, ( Smiths Gully, YT, Buxton, Lysty). I'm considering Fox 34 Factory but can't find a price that competes with the pikes

Would like to hear from those who have tried both.

Thanks for your help peeps

moorey

call me Mia
I have numerous sets of both. Been a rev fanboi for many years. They are 150-200g lighter, and a great xc trail fork....but the pikes are in another league. Not really much dearer if you buy smart. I paid around $750 new delivered for 2 of my sets.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Pikes will outperform Revelation's any day of the week in any application. Revelations are more useful on your lawn mower.

moorey

call me Mia
Pikes will outperform Revelation's any day of the week in any application. Revelations are more useful on your lawn mower.
You monster. Revs aren't designed for a 120kg fat fuck like you. Compare a Rev to a fox 32. Revs any day. Pikes ARE that much better yes...I even run them on my XC bike.

Go

Likes Dirt
Did you get your pikes from ze germans? They seem to have the better prices so far

stirk

Burner
I have numerous sets of both. Been a rev fanboi for many years. They are 150-200g lighter, and a great xc trail fork....but the pikes are in another league. Not really much dearer if you buy smart. I paid around $750 new delivered for 2 of my sets.
And people try to sell second hand pikes for $950!

marc.r

Likes Dirt
i've only ridden motion control revs but based on that. pike were MUCH better. rode higher in their travel without losing plushness(the biggest benifit by far), better rebound, a bit stiffer.

if you are light and don't ride aggressively or are new to mountain biking then revs are fine and I agree they are better than f32s but really if you are looking at f32s you should be looking at XC forks like rebas or sids as I dont think many people ride 120mm + fox 32s anymore.

Go

Likes Dirt
i've only ridden motion control revs but based on that. pike were MUCH better. rode higher in their travel without losing plushness(the biggest benifit by far), better rebound, a bit stiffer.
Seems to be that the pikes are indeed that much better even if a bit pricier.

Now the other question, 120mm or 130mm travel? Don't give a shit if climbing is affected by the longer travel, just don't want the bike to feel unbalanced on when the going gets tough. I have the idea longer travel hard tails' geometry goes to shit in steep terrain or heavy braking. Not sure if 130mm is considered longer travel though

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I own both, and would go Pike every single time.
As nice as the Revelation is as a light trail / XC fork, the Pike has it beat - everywhere.

You won't regret it.