pimp my ride

Neon

Likes Dirt
ok, baisically, i have a bike that needs replacing.
so my bike is a giant yukon sx, dual sus (about 4in each way). it has got a crack undernearth the top tube and seattube and i am taking it in to onya bike shop on monday to send it to giant (i am hoping it is covered by warantee).
so i jest need help deciding how to upgrade my bike, ultimately, i would like an all mountain bike that i can do a bit of 'extreme xc' (light downhill, jumps etc.) on.
i have no money at all now, except for maybe $50. but i about to sell my computer which will probably fetch me around $800.
so i am curently looking at buying some new fox vanilla's for around $500 from the US.
i would like a new frame but i dont know if i want to save up for a long time to get one.
i have no income, apart from $5 pocket money a week. but i might be getting a job pretty soon.

the bottom line is, i want to upgrade my bike to one with more suspension, and better features, but i dont know in which order to do it.

here are some pics (clickable) of the current bike...

edit: i forgot to add, that i have only had the bike for about four months...

Last edited:

stringbean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Your making your bike sound worse that it is, its a lot better than what a lot of people started on, i was on a 199? ukon with elasto forks with about 2 inches of travel.

Personaly i'd use that money to try upgrade your frame, especialy if your looking at doin more DH in the future, however if your sticking with xc kinda stuff, just upgrade the forks.

Neon

Likes Dirt
as if...
but yeh ok i do admit its better than nothing.
so yes, for that i am grateful.

black4tress

Likes Dirt
Its a pretty good bike if you ask me.
I've got an alias and think its the best shit around (I have low standards).:D

My advice. Keep the computer you'll need it. Get a job then buy your mods one by one.

Last edited:

Neon

Likes Dirt
yeh i hardly use my computer at all.
and i dont think the frame is the best one to build on.
as it is described by giant as 'the perfect bike to take of the fire roads only occasionly'.
so yeh, and its only got four inches at the back.
a gt sanction or a trek remedy 8 would be the perfect bike for what i want to do.

Purt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Don't be so ungrateful, it's better then having no bike at all like me atm :(.

If you really don't use the computer then sell it, get a job, find things around the house that you don't need or use and sell them on ebay or the local paper. Also if DH is your thing then leave the giant as is and ride it round as your bike at the moment, it may take awhile but once you save up enough sell your giant and start looking for a DH bike. Note this is a long term plan and may take up to 2-4 years depending on what your get paid and if you find things around the house or not, but it will get you what you want.

nickhagee

Likes Dirt
hey man i started out on an avanti blackthunder ($400). cant get worse than that unless you went to k-mart
if you would really like a more expensive bike (which is fine...) then why dont you start a loving relationship with your lbs. if your loyal and they have half a brain they will go out of their way to sort you out something real nice at a really really good price, and then help you with every bike related need you have after the purchase. if they think you will keep coming back to them they will treat you real nice.

Neon

Likes Dirt
yeh its not as if im a poser and dont like my cheap bike, i just think it is time to upgrade, because my skills have increased.

red_d0g

Likes Dirt
your best bet would not be buy some vanillas, if you sold your computer for $800 that doesn't really give you much choice in parts you would like,
but for that much, your best bet would be to look around the frame and forks sections for a good cheapish say sub $500 frame and 150mm'ish forks aren't hard to source for a good price either

just a thought