Pinch flats vs. fiddly tubeless - isn't there a better way?

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Got 4 flats in just over a week recently so ordered some Stans goo. Got around to testing it today. So far so good, using a compressor with non UST tyres first one went on in no time, then I removed the valve adapter and managed to remov ethe valve core and let all air out. Tried again with goo in the tyre and after what seemed like ages they inflated and stayed there (so far). No as much faffing as I had expected using the non UST tyres.

Graunched

Likes Dirt
Hmmmmn! So what is this system you refer to? What does it involve? My guess is it's another idea I had in pondering this problem and that it involves a lower pressure outer with a higher pressure inner.

P.s. Not that I've ridden a GT but I'm not convinced about having the pedals jolt towards me anymore than I'm convinced that having a little chain-growth really makes that much difference in a DH bike.
Looks like it could possibly be something along the lines of what is already being used on dirtbikes... http://tubliss.com/

RE Pinch Flats. Anyone ever tried lubing their tube before they put it in their tire? Might sound weird but if you get an un lubed tube and try to pinch it...you can. Lube the tube and try to pinch it...you cant.

Only issue may be the tire moving around the rim under heaving braking etc as you obviously don't use a rimlock on a mountain bike like you do on a dirtbike...

Last edited:
Looks like it could possibly be something along the lines of what is already being used on dirtbikes... http://tubliss.com/

RE Pinch Flats. Anyone ever tried lubing their tube before they put it in their tire? Might sound weird but if you get an un lubed tube and try to pinch it...you can. Lube the tube and try to pinch it...you cant.

Only issue may be the tire moving around the rim under heaving braking etc as you obviously don't use a rimlock on a mountain bike like you do on a dirtbike...
Ah, yeah, it looks like the inner higher pressure tube keeps the tire pushed against the rim!

I've heard of lubing the tube with talcum powder, same idea I guess.

ollieo

Likes Dirt
silicon

Silicon spray (cover up your rotors ) works really well on bead and rim to help seat UST tyres.

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Talcum powder is designed to stop the tube sticking to the tyre, it works. Allows the tube to move a little when inflating or deflating and settle into position. Mre than a few times without talc I've had to pull the tube away from the tyre coz it stuck in place. With talc they always come out easily. Probably wouldn't work for preventing pinch flats though.

Graunched

Likes Dirt
Hahah Yeah I've never tried either. Don't intend to. I wouldn't be surprised if both are old wives tales.
Well you would be wrong, all that's stopping you from possibly pinch flat free riding is an open mind to new concepts.

Have a look at this video from 4:35 to 5:40 http://tiny.cc/jpu9gw . Although its demonstrated on a dirt bike you get pinch flats the same way......with the tire pressing the tube against the rim...

If you do decide to grease your tube make sure you use rubber grease for the sake of your tire and tube...

Last edited:
Yeah I was thinking I could do an experiment but I don't really want to damage my rims. I have no problems with pinch flats and I only run 20-22psi.

Watched the video. I'm still skeptical though. If it works, why do these downhillers still get pinch flats? I can conceive that if you pinch your tire like that fellow did on the very edge that the tube might move out of the way, but if he pinched it at the widest part the tube has no chance of moving out the way. Maybe that's what's happening, if you pinch your tire somewhere near the edge the tube can move away, but if you pinch it nearer the middle of the tread it'll pinch no matter what.

Graunched

Likes Dirt
mmmm yeah dunno...... the only pinches I have ever gotten were on the outer sides of the tube......where it pinched against the rim, never in the centre. :noidea:

Keep in mind that although moto tire sidewalls are much stiffer, enduro riders are usually running their tires between 8-14psi, they are very susceptible to flat tires...

mmmm yeah dunno...... the only pinches I have ever gotten were on the outer sides of the tube......where it pinched against the rim, never in the centre. :noidea:
Same, but then I wasn't using grease! I was more thinking that if you're cornering and you hit a pointy rock and your tires are (obviously) too low or you're real heavy, the tire is a little skew because it's trying to peel off the rim towards the inside of the corner, and the centre of the tread could hit the inside lip of the rim.