Pinning It

cappa

Likes Bikes
Hey I was interested in what the phrase “pinning it” meant to different people out there

to me it means having a fast run with little mistakes

what does it mean to you?

chase1

Likes Dirt
going fucking flat out, i mean really pushing it.
110% effort.
no brakes,
no fear,
completely perfect.

fatass

Banned
You cannot simply say "I'm gonna pin this run" but however, you CAN pin that run. But pinning is fast for some, slow for others, when I pin it, sam hill has no chain, when sam hill pins it, my eyes burn out and a giant vortex is created in the massive vacuum that goes behind him, sucking trees out of the ground.

NCR600

Likes Dirt
It's a motorcycling expression.

It means doing something "with the throttle pinned to the stop" i.e. having the throttle wide open and hard against the throttle stop.

It shouldn't be used in relation to vehicles that don't have an engine, let alone a throttle.

Turner_rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey I was interested in what the phrase “pinning it” meant to different people out there

what does it mean to you?
To me pinning goes with the following:

(a) Sewing
(b) Broken bones

I'm led to believe the term "pinning it" was just a derivative of "nailing it" as pin and nail can mean the same this in the states. Either way it still sounds a bit lame.

takai

Eats Squid
Thats what i always knew it as.

It's a motorcycling expression.

It means doing something "with the throttle pinned to the stop" i.e. having the throttle wide open and hard against the throttle stop.

It shouldn't be used in relation to vehicles that don't have an engine, let alone a throttle.

Shorty40

Likes Dirt
Apparently it's not a "cool" word anymore :rolleyes:

Either way, most people (particularly those that are turning their noses up at it in this thread) in our sport know what the term means when used in the context of mountain biking ;)

By the way, I never quite 'pin' a run. I only ever go as far as tucking up the hem. So I have created a new term more moutain bike specific..........HEMMING IT :D

alpinestar12

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Apparently it's not a "cool" word anymore :rolleyes:

Either way, most people (particularly those that are turning their noses up at it in this thread) in our sport know what the term means when used in the context of mountain biking ;)

By the way, I never quite 'pin' a run. I only ever go as far as tucking up the hem. So I have created a new term more moutain bike specific..........HEMMING IT :D
yes it is overused. I knew it came from motos, but thanks for explaining that NCR. Let's HEM IT on saturday Dan!

kyleman

Likes Dirt
No brakes
Lots of pedalling
All weight on the back wheel without damaging it
As fast as you can go without peeing.
Its just that easy:)
Also if you stack whilst "pinning" its still included as a "pinned" run because you "pinned" so hard you stacked.

Mahoney_007

Likes Bikes and Dirt
See i always had hucking down with backcountry, not MXing. Then again i was a roady not a dirt biker.

Nuh I thought it came from skiing/boarding and yeah back country hucking?

I was just adding another ripped off word we like to use. They are all drops to me :D

binner

Hath shat hymself
pinned

I used that word all thru my studies at uni in Fashion, hahhh it didnt get me anywhere....:)