Pivot Mach 5 Setup Help Please!

mr_h._simpson

Likes Bikes
Hello,

I've had a Pivot Mach 5 for about a month. If you overlook the fact I keep crashing it I've found it to be a fantastic bike!

The problem is I keep losing the front end. It goes into understeer and washes out. The only changes I've made from stock are a 10mm shorter stem to 90mm and replacing the low rise 660mm bars with low rise 685mm bars.

I'm runing 25% sag on the fork and 30% sag on the shock as recommended by the LBS. The fork had a lot of stiction at first but has gone now it is broken in. I've set rebound on the shock as 3 clicks from full slow. The Pivot web site recommend 1 or 2 clicks from full fast but I found that way to fast.

Any suggestions on setup would be very appreciated thanks!

Bye.
Andrew

smeck

Likes Dirt
............I'm runing 25% sag on the fork and 30% sag on the shock as recommended by the LBS. The fork had a lot of stiction at first but has gone now it is broken in. I've set rebound on the shock as 3 clicks from full slow. The Pivot web site recommend 1 or 2 clicks from full fast but I found that way to fast.

Any suggestions on setup would be very appreciated thanks!

Bye.
Andrew
Personally I'd ease off the sag (as little as 15%) and give yourself a bit more compression in the front. I'd be looking for no more than 25mm of fork sag on a 120mm fork when you're sitting normally, that will still be pretty soft when you lean forwards, but give you a lot of your travel back when you brake. Speed up your rebound and then go riding, your rebound should be as fast as you can get it.

What tyre are you running and what is the type of surface on the trails are you riding? Depending on style and terrain it makes a huge difference.

mr_h._simpson

Likes Bikes
Thanks Smeck. I'll give that a try.

Tyres are pretty much as new 2.35 High Rollers front and rear. 60A on the rear and Super tacky on the front.

If anyone else has any other ideas pls keep em comming!

beardi

Likes Dirt
Have you tried the following?
- Front tyre pressure - too much and you'll get understeer.
- How many spacers do you have under the stem? See if you can lower the stem to get some more of your weight over the front tyre.

It sounds like you didn't have any issues on your old bike but.....
- Are your arms bent to soak up bumps? Locking the arms can result in understeer.
- Are you looking at your exit whilst cornering?
- Try leaning the bike - not your body. This will keep weight over the tyres and increase grip

Good luck with it, nothing worse for your confidence that a lack of front tyre grip!
Cheers,
Chris

niftydog

Likes Dirt
A shorter stem tends to sit you up more, taking weight off the front wheel. Try dropping a few spacers out from under the stem to compensate.

Chul

Likes Bikes
Maybe change to a more rounded tyre that the high roller so when it starts to slide its more controlled.

miko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd be checking tyre pressures too. Those tyres should have plenty of grip. Also, learn to use your weight front to back on the bike when cornering. If you're too far back the tyre has no weight on it to grip. You can usually put a bit of weight on the front of the bike before the tyre will let go. It might under steer a bit, but you can either get used to it, or move back a bit. Fast cornering is as much about balance. The suspension should be reasonably static in the corner, so I'm not sure mucking with it is going to make too much difference. Personally I'd keep the sag as is so the bike will sit into the corner more.

JBR

Likes Dirt
Questions

1. Are you new to riding (not meant offensively)
2. What type of corners are you specifically washing out on
3. From 1st point - are you cornering under brake or applying the correct principle of brake, release, corner.
4. What was your previous ride and did you have similar issue.

This can determine if it rider related or bike setup related.

Mach 5's have a comparatively high BB height compared to other trail bikes don't they?

As for settings - go off what the manufacturer said, at least for a start. They've prob done alot of R&D.

Find a corner/section you have issues with and spend some time riding it and play with your set ups. That's the best option I reckon. tire pressure, fork air pressure, rebound and compression setting will have a marked effect on performance.

Ive never ridden those tires but plenty of guys run them on their DH bikes(although mainly as a rear tire that I have seen). Are they overkill for the bike?(unrelated). They may also not be suited to your conditions.

If you feel it may be technique, do a search or Fluidride:like a pro instructional MTB movie. Its by Lars Sternberg, now of Transition racing. Its got some really good theory on riding and cornering in general. I took some good points from it.

JB

mr_h._simpson

Likes Bikes
Thanks for your replies everyone and sorry for the delay.

Have been fiddling around with it over the last mth or two. The problem was the fork had a CRAZY amount of stiction. It is a Fox Float with the FIT damper.

After about 700km of off road riding the stiction was hardly any better. A friend suggested just flipping the bike upside down overnight to let the splash oil penetrate into the foam seal at the top of the fork. Within one ride the front end improved out of sight.

While it is not yet buttery smooth it is improving with each ride.

So thanks again everyone for the thoughts.