NSW Places to find/purchase wood?

MtbDjRidaSachaz66

Likes Dirt
Hey.
I am trying to find/purchase some wood such as pallets, because I am planning on making a wooden jump for my track big enough to learn doing tricks on and obviously to hone my skills.
I was thinking about the tip (where lots of people throw in the rubbish meaning not a small rubbish bin), but doesn't it have to be purchased? I you know please tell me because I am keen to start soon.
I would much rather not purchase from the local warehouse or anything like Bunnings because from what my dad told me, it is pretty costly.
Thanks.

Commecnalrider

Likes Dirt
First off, you're doing the right thing by not cutting trees, and purchasing the wood. Good work.

I was thinking Bunnings, or the tip, but if needs be industrial areas usaully have heaps of pallets. I'm sure if you ask them, they'll be less likely to say no.
or steal them :eek:;)

Or failing that, keep an eye out for old wooden fences that are being replaced. Unless the thing your building is professional, there's not much wrong with those.

NSR

Likes Dirt
If no one's looking, chuck the pallet on the back of a car/ute that you have borrowed, and drive away as if there's nothing wrong...:rolleyes:
Hardware stores and crap tend to reuse their pallets, so you probably won't be getting them the legal way anytime soon.

Commecnalrider

Likes Dirt
Did you just tell him to break the law?? :eek:

Apparently, its ok if you carry them away on a bike ;)

saw them in half lengthways so they dont resemble pallets as much, and bolt them down BEFORE the police arrive.

MtbDjRidaSachaz66

Likes Dirt
Hmmm, well i didn't really think of industrial areas... i do remember seeing a hell of alot of wood and pallets in a street once that had lots of business around... but it was to far away from home to go back and forth

Commecnalrider

Likes Dirt
Yeah that was what i was trying to convey. Particular businesses will have pallets, most likely not being used. As long you dont deprive them of pallets alltogether. Also, some homes have skips that may have old floors, fences etc. its going to the dump anyway they wont care.

As long as they not hoarders. Which in that case, you're actually helping them...

leftykonashred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My work has a crap load of wood that they take to the tip, i just ask and i get. i mean most businesses won't mind you taking their garbage if you asked them nicely.

jfride

Squid
I get a ton of pallets from trucking companies, not the red or blue ones,
they cant get rid of them, just go in and ask, they even load me up with there fork lift

C.H.B

Likes Dirt
You can get good seasoned timber from old fences,though i wouldn't use
fence pales unless theyr'e 25or so mm thick,if you have any fencing contractors around your area you could ask them to save some offcuts
or bowed bits for you,they usually just throw them away anyway