"Planetary Resources" - Google's new venture = Asteroid mining

Hew

Likes Dirt
On Tuesday, a new company called Planetary Resources will announce its existence at the Charles Simonyi Space Gallery at The Museum of Flight in Seattle. It's not clear what the firm does, but its roster of backers incudes Google cofounders Larry Page and Sergey Brin, filmmaker James Cameron, former Microsoftie (and space philanthropist) Charles Simonyi, and Ross Perot Jr., son of the former presidential candidate.

According to the company's press release (below):

[…] "the company will overlay two critical sectors – space exploration and natural resources – to add trillions of dollars to the global GDP. This innovative start-up will create a new industry and a new definition of ‘natural resources’."

http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/mimssbits/27776/
http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2012/apr/20/james-cameron-backs-space-explorers-planetary-resources?n

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I think it's a fantastic new movement in technology and it has a huge potential for global power change, but at the same time it makes me think that all the theories about Earth spreading its cancer (humans) to other planets seem more realistic than ever.

From the brief research I've done I assume that they're trying to mine helium 3, but who knows. I'm very keen to hear what people have to say about this.

Matt H

Eats Squid
Wow, I'm getting a pretty misanthropic vibe from that post, Hew.

I think this is brilliant news. One step closer to us getting off this rock and exploring the final frontier. I remember reading something that said in current market value worth, the asteroid belt contains 100 billion USD worth of minerals for each person on earth.

I love hearing about this kind of stuff, because I'm going to be pretty damn disappointed if we still don't have off-world colonies before I die.

riderseventy7

Likes Dirt
"We are a new company with big goals and no realistic way to achieve them..yet. We're sure if you give us lots and lots of money in grants we will work it out...really...maybe."