Planning a 5 day riding trip somewhere? But where?

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Currently I have the job of planning a 4 or 5 day riding trip somewhere in May. Looking more for AM or flowy gravity type places. Last year we were at Rotorua and then again later at Stromolo but we want somewhere different. We also like a long several hour (we aren't fast) adventure ride if possible in the vicinity.

Current thoughts are

* Blue Derby in tassie but I don't know the status of the shuttles there at that time

* Buller and surrounding areas in Victoria? However Buller seems to close in May for the hope of snow. Also could a road trip be done in this vicinity in vVictoria to get to a good bunch of trails each day. Any suggested ones?

Are there any other locations people can suggest that provide lots of good trails that are fun to ride over several days? Adelaide, Cairns... anywhere?

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Considered Melrose? You could fly in to Adelaide and do a few of the MANY local trails as well.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
from buller you could do lake mountain & buxton [xc forest], ive only been at melrose briefly but not sure they have mcuh AM stuff to keep you going

you could do bright/ mt beauty area; the towns are low elevation wise so unaffected by snow usually -prob warmer than buller

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd suggest Bright is your destination within Vic.
Bright/Mt Beauty/Falls Creek/Beechworth all relatively close, you can't ask for more choice than that.

If you want to leave Vic, Tassie is incredible.
It might be cold and wet, but it would still be worth it.

Soul-Rider

Likes Dirt
Perhaps Apollo Bay? Shuttle Downhilling at iRide over the weekend and then a few days riding up at Forrest. Good brewery in Forrest too.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Melrose, South Oz...without doubt. There's also longer ride opportunities out into Mount Remarkables National Park from there along many fire trails. Over the Edge will rent you Yeti's.

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Spoilt for choice! Thanks for the feedback.

I really like the idea of the small road trip around Falls Ck, Bright etc; Melrose sounds very good too and of course Tassie. Will investigate these in detail but Falls CK is looking really interesting. I need to investigate the actual cool trails to ride too.

Thanks poodle but the Hunter is too near and I can go up there anytime if I get off my arse and visit mates up there. Apollo Bay probably too near to my riding buddies place who is coming on the trip.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Thanks poodle but the Hunter is too near and I can go up there anytime if I get off my arse and visit mates up there. Apollo Bay probably too near to my riding buddies place who is coming on the trip.
Are you asking for the locals discount?

frank_n

Likes Dirt
Currently I have the job of planning a 4 or 5 day riding trip somewhere in May. Looking more for AM or flowy gravity type places. Last year we were at Rotorua and then again later at Stromolo but we want somewhere different. We also like a long several hour (we aren't fast) adventure ride if possible in the vicinity.

Current thoughts are

* Blue Derby in tassie but I don't know the status of the shuttles there at that time

* Buller and surrounding areas in Victoria? However Buller seems to close in May for the hope of snow. Also could a road trip be done in this vicinity in vVictoria to get to a good bunch of trails each day. Any suggested ones?

Are there any other locations people can suggest that provide lots of good trails that are fun to ride over several days? Adelaide, Cairns... anywhere?
Queenstown, NZ

Jeffgre_6163

Likes Dirt
Far North Queensland mate!!!
Base yourself in Cairns and hit up Smithfield. It will be awesome after just hosting the mountain bike World Cup round in April.
A couple of days in Cairns will let you ride and get to know 99% of Smithfield (plus a couple of shuttles on Kuranda) then head inland 45 minutes for a bit of lovely XC work at the Davies Creek MTBP.
Then head to Atherton (1 1/4 hours inland from Cairns, an easy day trip but allow 2 days) for the jewel in the crown. The Atherton Forest MTBP. 55 + km of purpose built single track including 2 shuttlable descending trails and hours of blue graded, flowy, Bermy, jumpy madness.
Tired of riding non stop for days on end?
Go for a reef trip, hang out in the pool, take a dip in any one of dozens of rainforest water falls, or spend time hitting on any one of thousands of Scandinavian backpackers in any one of the hundreds of bars and clubs.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
If you base yourself in Launceston then you've got Hollybank, Kate Reed, Trevallyn, Blue Tier, Derby and Ben Lomond all within 90 minutes drive. Should fill up those five days nicely!

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Queenstown I don't think we have enough time, but it was my original plan.

Cairns sounds and looks really interesting... I will look into that as the trails look nice but I do suffer badly in the tropical humidty and heat. It sucks my will to live.

Launceton seems to have so much....

Discussing with my mates tonight to see what they think of the various options. Thanks for all the input!!

Jeffgre_6163

Likes Dirt
Cairns sounds and looks really interesting... I will look into that as the trails look nice but I do suffer badly in the tropical humidty and heat. It sucks my will to live.
In May the humidity wont be to much of an issue. Daytime temps in Cairns in May max out around 27,28 up the hill in Atherton its even cooler with 22 most days.

Last edited:

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
SA in general.

Day 1-2 Melrose
Day 3 Fox Creek
Day 4 Craigburn/Sturt Gorge/Sheps
Day 5 Eagle/Lynton/Belair/PWT/Mt Osmond

Hundreds of kms of trails right there without repeating the same trail twice... though there's many of them you will want to do more than once.

Yarrahappinni

Likes Dirt
North Coast NSW

If you want to come north I can hook you up with Taree, Port Macquarie, Kempsey and Coffs Harbour riders which can give you anything from trail to dh and if you want a little adventure ride Jason English lives in Port and could show you some "longer" rides (good luck keeping up) or hit Coramba and race Dozer down.
From Coffs head out to Armidale and Tamworth and if time permits and you want 6min downhill runs crack Mt Borah at Manilla and back through Newcastle to make a loop.

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
SA in general.

Day 1-2 Melrose
Day 3 Fox Creek
Day 4 Craigburn/Sturt Gorge/Sheps
Day 5 Eagle/Lynton/Belair/PWT/Mt Osmond
I love how you ran out of room and had to fit 8 destinations into the last 2 days. And you still left some out; Cobbler Creek, Prospect Hill, Kaiserstuhl, 80 acres, Kersbrook, Cleland.

OK, so Adelaide may not be the best choice, you'd probably need 2 weeks :)

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So my mate decided the Victorian Bright/Falls Ck/Mt Beauty, Beechworth trip first and leave Launceston for Summer and the Melrose next year. Thanks for the feedback.. might start a thread now on recommendations on which trails to ride there!