Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

Freediver

I can go full Karen
I like numbats. I hope this makes all those fuckwits demanding more back burning in 2019 realise how fucking stupid they are.
Fuckwits are demanding more backburning because they don't understand the terminology and confuse it with "controlled" or fuel reduction burns.

mark22

Likes Dirt
Sorry but how do aerial incendiaries constitute controlled burning? WTAF.
That's how fuel reduction burns are lit via ping pong looking inceduries sometimes via helicopters and vehicles. Nothing sinister it's just practicality.
Been done this way for decades in forests.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
That's how fuel reduction burns are lit via ping pong looking inceduries sometimes via helicopters and vehicles. Nothing sinister it's just practicality.
Been done this way for decades in forests.
Some of it is. Most of it is hand lit with drip torches.

All of it is useless for protecting in any way against big fires, but gives the conservatives something more to whinge about. Fuckwits.

Freediver

I can go full Karen

All of it is useless for protecting in any way against big fires, but gives the conservatives something more to whinge about. Fuckwits.
Not in Vic. Ping pong balls from the sky are the standard way of cleaning up a logging coup and burning remote areas thet don't need to be burnt to meet targets for fuel reduction.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Not in Vic. Ping pong balls from the sky are the standard way of cleaning up a logging coup and burning remote areas thet don't need to be burnt to meet targets for fuel reduction.
It was in Victoria that I did a few seasons with DSE doing controlled burns. We used drip torches - mix of half petrol and diesel that we walked along dropping like napalm.

As useless as the whole process is, it was kinda fun bouncing around the bush in 4WD setting fire to shit! Totally no pyros on those crews ;)

mark22

Likes Dirt

That's bullshit, less fuel = smaller/less intense fires, it is however hard to achieve on a large scale.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
As long as we define the reason why we are carrying out hazard reduction:

Bushfires will only continue to get worse — and prescribed burning more difficult to carry out safely — as climate change continues to escalate.
Unless we address climate change and urgently reduce our emissions as part of a global effort, the window of opportunity for prescribed burning will continue to shrink. And as bushfire weather worsens, the effectiveness of hazard reduction will diminish. No amount of hazard reduction will protect human lives, animals and properties from catastrophic fires.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
It feels good and is a visible signs that we are doing something about the risks. Could you imagine the chaos of a massive bush fire that could happen if a numbat or other marsupial was to catch on fire and run through the forest?

mark22

Likes Dirt
Its not bullshit. Fuel reduction burns remove low level undergrowth - big fires jump from crown to crown.
That's the whole reason for fuel reduction fires is to try and prevent/limit big fires.
Sure the catastrophic days it's going to be unstoppable until conditions are favouroble.
Doing nothing will only make matters worse. If you have a better way of managing the forests I'm keen to hear it.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
That's the whole reason for fuel reduction fires is to try and prevent/limit big fires.
Sure the catastrophic days it's going to be unstoppable until conditions are favouroble.
Doing nothing will only make matters worse. If you have a better way of managing the forests I'm keen to hear it.
Healthy forests do not need management. Deal with climate change, leave forests alone so they get a chance to mature and accept that they burn.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
It feels good and is a visible signs that we are doing something about the risks. Could you imagine the chaos of a massive bush fire that could happen if a numbat or other marsupial was to catch on fire and run through the forest?
Bloody numbats... they had it coming.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
No, the main reason for the amount of fuel reduction burning that is done is propaganda. The conservatives have everybody hoodwinked into believing the answer to bushfires, rather than listening to the scientists is fuel reduction burns and that it's got nothing to do with climate change or years of mismanagement by the logging industry.

Of course there is a time and place for fuel reduction but current methods are not based on current science.