Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

moorey

call me Mia
Ducted AC run by slave mice in a big spinny wheel thingo.
Would rats work? We have those.
The numbers I’m hearing are that the most modern wood heaters, running with optimum efficiency, produce the same pollution in 24h as an average car driving 1500km. That’s pretty horrific.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
The numbers I’m hearing are that the most modern wood heaters, running with optimum efficiency, produce the same pollution in 24h as an average car driving 1500km. That’s pretty horrific.
New two fewer rats than mices. So just 4,900,564.04.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
But where is the wood coming from? If it's coming from your property and there are trees replacing the felled timber then the net CO2 would be very low.

Replacing with electric anything, even with solar might have higher CO2 over the lifecycle.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

moorey

call me Mia
But where is the wood coming from? If it's coming from your property and there are trees replacing the felled timber then the net CO2 would be very low.

Replacing with electric anything, even with solar might have higher CO2 over the lifecycle.

You may be right. I keep telling myself that. Trees on our block fall. As they rot, it releases co2 AFAIK, and trees grow in their place….but I can’t see it countering what is given off by burning. I’d love to be satisfied that it does. I’d love to keep the fire.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
You may be right. I keep telling myself that. Trees on our block fall. As they rot, it releases co2 AFAIK, and trees grow in their place….but I can’t see it countering what is given off by burning. I’d love to be satisfied that it does. I’d love to keep the fire.
Same boat .
I tell myself that 1 million trees growing on our place will take care of excess CO2.

Oddjob

Well if you have growing trees on your property and you're not buying any wood then, it's a renewable fuel cycle. It's basically solar energy in another form. There might be some loss of trace elements but I'm assuming your composting the food waste and ash so call it even.

I'm sure one of the Canberra hippies on this forum with nothing better to do could work out the math.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Well if you have growing trees on your property and you're not buying any wood then, it's a renewable fuel cycle. It's basically solar energy in another form. There might be some loss of trace elements but I'm assuming your composting the food waste and ash so call it even.

I'm sure one of the Canberra hippies on this forum with nothing better to do could work out the math.
@moorey - I might not be from Canberra but I've got this!

n+1(Stanton) = :)

Freediver

I can go full Karen

How quickly do you think trees grow?

moorey

call me Mia

Screw those Hippies. This suits my narrative, so ima chuck a log on the fire.
I’m not convinced it’s anything like carbon neutral, but you’re probably right about what I hadn’t factored into the positives.
Time for some more research before doing anything rash or losing more sleep.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Screw those Hippies. This suits my narrative, so ima chuck a log on the fire.
I’m not convinced it’s anything like carbon neutral, but you’re probably right about what I hadn’t factored into the positives.
Time for some more research before doing anything rash or losing more sleep.
The exhaust from the chainsaw isn't carbon neutralised let alone burning tonnes of woodness.

Oddjob

How quickly do you think trees grow?
Slowly, but I've seen how much fuel load a couple of hectares of bush can generate over a year. Sure it's not the same as the many tonnes of hay that can come off a similarly sized paddock, but it's still converting a fair chunk sunlight to cellulose.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Wood burning for domestic heating is more about the particulates and general air quality than it is GHGs.