Platinum problem, and generally my mantious being a piece of ****

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
Alrite guys, i have a bit of a problem with my Platinums. They seem to lose their travel fairly often and fairly quickly these days, they have done it the whole time I have ever had them, but I never thought of it as anything, but apparantly it is the seal between the chambers going, is what I have read online.
But what is stranger yet again is that they are fine now, this has happened to me a few times, like they shit themsleves then for some reason go fine again? Also I'm having to run a fairly high pressure to keep them working and not bottom out every 10 seconds, but this high pressure is ruining the plushness of the fork.

Just a bit of clarification on this issue would be great, as I dont want to go and keep fixing them if they are going to keep breaking.

Also has any one had a problem with the manitou crowns? Because my God they sh*t me something chronic. This is teh 3rd set i am on, and i jsut dont understand why they crap themselves consistantly. Are the new Gold label crowns any different or are they still the same? Because that may be another option if they will retro fit my 2006 platinums.

Sorry for the rant, but I spent a lot of money on this fork and for it to do this to me really does not make me that happy.

Thanks guys

roxy12

Fat Tyre Flyers
whats exactly has happened to the crowns?

are they still under warrenty? send em off, if not stil send em off for a service, I dont recomend anyone play with forks unless they know what there doing.

Daver

Kung Fu Panda
Also has any one had a problem with the manitou crowns? Because my God they sh*t me something chronic. This is teh 3rd set i am on, and i jsut dont understand why they crap themselves consistantly. Are the new Gold label crowns any different or are they still the same? Because that may be another option if they will retro fit my 2006 platinums.
I had issues with the crowns of every manitou fork i've ever owned: Dorados, Minutes and Shermans. A lot of the guys i ride with have the same problems too- steerers coming lose over time, and constant creaking from the crowns. As for a solution, get your LBS to press you in a new steerer tube from Marzocchi- they seem to have a tighter tolerance than the Manitous and they go for longer without coming lose.

Chilli

Likes Dirt
if your crown is slipping another option is to send it down to gripsport to get a dirty great pin driven through the crown and steerer.

i ended up having to do it to a pair of manitou blacks and they havent given me any strife since, although the downside is that you cant run a headlock system through the steerer.

star nuts can still be installed of course. maybe the excess pin can be drilled out? i'm not going to try anyhow ;)