please delete

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is there a problem with the current hub? Just wondering why you really want to change it.. If its serviced and running correctly it should be fine. If not it may just need something simple like a bearing replacement. It sounds to me that there is another problem going on here as to why you want to change it...

You will find the places where the most weight is, is in the tyres and tubes. So perhaps look at those should you want to reduce weight cheaply. Lighter and faster rolling tyres will be a benefit. And regular xc tubes are fine for most type of riding.

If your adamant on changing the hub by itself you may even find you can get a complete wheel for close to the same money it will cost of a new hub then lace them to a rim.

As for the rims they'll be 26" rims with 32 hole.
For hubs any 135mm QR that matches the 32 hole of your rim will be fine. You'll most likely need new spokes and someone to lace it up for you. Like i said above fit may be cheaper to buy a complete wheel?

anthonyq

Likes Dirt
yer thats wht i was thinking i was probably just thinking of getting a pair of xts yer its more just lightweight performance side of things not any probelems with the actual hub.

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Save your money, just get lighter tyres and tubes then.
Just get your hubs working well, and when they crap out en look at new wheels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

anthonyq

Likes Dirt
cheers mate well im running probably the lightest tyes right now the cross marks and all tubes are the same really except for the dh ones but im looking for something grippier on the front

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
hey guys
i just wanted to know if anyone out there owns/owned a giant filter 2 and know what size rear wheel i need?
the sun rhyno lites are a realy good rim but i want a better,lighter hub.the hub is a shimano RM65
Personally, going down this route is overcapitalizing on what is a fairly basic rim. One must not only factor in the cost of the replacement hub but the build also (labour, new spokes etc). A little bit more and you can purchase a complete wheelset.

I'd keep your hub well serviced, wheel tensioned and true and ride them till they die.

Good luck!

crash bandicoot

Likes Dirt
Possibly not worth worrying about, the filter is a fairly heavy bike with heavy entry level running gear. If you want to go lighter save your money for a newer lighter bike.

MTB Wanabe

Likes Dirt
Personally, going down this route is overcapitalizing on what is a fairly basic rim. One must not only factor in the cost of the replacement hub but the build also (labour, new spokes etc). A little bit more and you can purchase a complete wheelset.

I'd keep your hub well serviced, wheel tensioned and true and ride them till they die.

Good luck!
Agree with the above. I'll also add that although the weight on the hub is rotating, because it is at the centre of the wheel the effect of the weight reduction in the hub will give a negligible effect on performance compared to the cost of replacing just the hub. My advice would be to get a second wheel set and keep them just for racing and use your current wheels for playing/training.

The cost of the rebuild will be hubs(XTR $260, Hope Pro 2 Evo $200), spokes($40)(assuming the new hub has different flange sizes, spacing, etc), pull down and rebuild. You will find that when you do the numbers, the actual cost will be very similar to an already built wheel with a better rim to boot. Just the labour alone will be at least $60. So the rebuild would cost you minimum $300. An XTR rear wheel will cost you about $520 and a Hope Pro 2 Evo build, with a new rim, about $300. Prices quoted are CRC prices but the the point is difference between rebuilding your current wheel compared to a whole new wheel is, depending on which hub/wheelset you go for, could be negligible.