Please participate in this survey

Xtremefreak

Likes Dirt
hey guys

hey for a school project i have to design a mountain bike frame so i just need to get a few opinions.

my design is based on mostly the suspension set up of dual suspension bike so can people take the time to give me your opinion.

please use this template:

state the disadvantages/advantages for your current set up

Type of riding: (freeride, downhill, etc)

FORKS:

type: (singe crowns, triple clamps, upside downs)

Advantages: ( state the advantages you like about this set up e.g no maintenance, strong, cheap)

Disadvantages: ( state your disadvantages e.g problems, weak, less responsive )

What you would like to be improved: ( e.g less maintenance, responsive, more range of set up e.g rebound, compression )

SHOCK

Set up type: (centered, elevated, dropped or frame mounted idler)

Advantages: (state the advantages in this set up)

Disadvantages: (state the disadvantages e.g to many links, weak)

What you would like to be improved: (e.g less pivot points)

What do you want to see change in mountain bike frames: (e.g lower center of gravity)

thanks allot to everyone who has taken the time to fill this out.

cheers alec:)

Last edited:

Xtremefreak

Likes Dirt
c'mon guys try to be serious about this, this isn't going to be some crappy cardboard box thing with paper wheels

please fill out the survey or don't comment at all unless you have something constructive to say towards a frame idea

joshmilin69

Likes Dirt
Type of riding: dirt jumping
FORKS:rockshox pikes 409

type: singe crowns

Advantages: good for dirtjumping, all mountain, freeride

Disadvantages:
spring not air

SHOCK"

Set up type: "

Advantages: (state the advantages in this set up)

Disadvantages: "

What you would like to be improved: "

What do you want to see change in mountain bike frames: make parts lighter and get rid or air shocks

Zekman

Likes Dirt
Sounds like the drugs I want to be on, less linkage,no sag and 15 inches of travel will help and all the rest......nice

noddy

Likes Dirt
Type of riding: downhill ,dirt jump

FORKS:888vf2, lowered mazocchi Z1

type: downhill/fr, normal setup, tripples, single crown,

Advantages: strength, plush, look cool, strength, preload.
Disadvantages: no preload, very active, no platform, weight(bobby), weight, topout.
What you would like to be improved: weight, platform damping system, weight, topout issues solved.

SHOCK

Set up type: single pivot(222), none (sasquash)

Advantages: light, simple, maintnance free, super acceleration.

Disadvantages: brakes jack, decreasing rate bottoms a bit easily, rough ride, requires more skill, no slacking

What you would like to be improved: though they're renouned for stiffness. my a-line was far stiffer, i would preferr a little more beef arround the pivot, larger bearings to make it stiffer. other than that, i love it., horizontal dropouts, cromo frame

What do you want to see change in mountain bike frames: less weight, internal gearboxes, internal rear brakesflamethrowers should come as standard.

chuckies_here

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Type of riding: Downhill

FORKS:

type: Triple clamps

Advantages: Strong, Quite stable

Disadvantages: Heavy

What you would like to be improved: Well i run fox 40rc2's and i would like to see them in air

SHOCK

Set up type: What ever the v10 is

Advantages: Alot of plush travle

Disadvantages: None that i have found

What you would like to be improved: Less pivot points.

What do you want to see change in mountain bike frames: Like a 7.2inch travel race bike with a low center of gravity, that an air shock can run on

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Type of riding: XC/Trail

FORKS:Manitou Black 80/100
Type: Single Crown

Advantages:
Cheap; Perform Great; Simple; Easy to Service; Adjustable

Disadvantages:
Basic Damping; Soft Springs (preloaded at lower travel setting); not Semi Bath

What you would like to be improved: Its an old fork which has been imporved on and discontinued...
Ive put in Enduro seals and had Grip reenforce the steerer...TPC/Semi Bath would be a great additon...or Rock Shox Rebas ;)

SHOCKRock Shox SID Adjust

Set up type: No Resonance System (NRS)

Advantages: Virtually ignores rider input...climbs like a hardtail, decends like a dually...

Disadvantages: Bit quirky and at times, not fully active...

What you would like to be improved: My frames '03...fairly sure the issues were ironed out in later versions...

What do you want to see change in mountain bike frames: Bring back the Manitou FS design...

Corty

Likes Dirt
I'd really like to see an XC/AM dually that physically locks out the rear to give a real hardtail feeling for climbs & fire trails. Yes, there are already various shocks with "lockout" modes which IMHO still have a little squish and at times will give under pressure. But my dream XC dually would have solid steel bars that lockdown the rearend:D Well seriously, just anything that can't possibly move once it's locked out. Serious consideration would need to be given to the strength of all the pivots with this sort of design, as I'd imagine the full lockout would stress them heavily. Then you'd also have to consider the weight of the whole system given it's meant to be an XC/AM rig:eek:

Essentially for any bike : strong, light, cheap - pick any two.