Plenty Gorge and Parks Vic

Another unrelated thing to consider - the Happy Hollow Farm is registered with the Australian Heritage Council as a place of Local Historic/Cultural significance. The farm is now being significantly impacted with the ever increasing 'influx' of MTB riders. The winding track through the farm is slowly getting wider, slowly more eroded. Riders are now taking short cuts through the farm. Some riders are even now cutting right through 'the guts' of the farm forming yet another track and using the old house foundations as a huge MTB jump! As the farm is officially listed as a Historical Site I really can't see access to Happy Hollow Farm being sustainable the way it's currently going - track might have to be rerouted around the farm perimeter.

Sorry if I'm starting to sound like a grumpy ol' man - I'm really not!

Last edited:

emerthis

Likes Dirt
And yet again!

Was up at the the Gorge last Friday (24th) - did about 30kms, saw nobody until I stumbled upon a guy shielded by the thick bush of a narrow gully busy hacking out another new and unauthorised MTB track into the thick bush/scrub! Caught him red-handed but he didn't see me. I watched him down in the gully only ~20metres away for about 10mins - took photos and video on my phone. He was there for hours hacking away. Found his car nearby parked right in front of the 'Fire Access Gate' (despite the big red sign saying 'Do Not Park' etc.) blocking access. Got a few photos of the car/rego. blocking the Fire Access gate.

Was up there again today and found he's hacked a base track of about 600metres through a gully of bush/scrub - has cut down at least 80 small trees/branches, hacked a track into the steep banks with hand tools (mattock?axe?). He's cut right through a new(ish) 6 strand barb wire perimeter fence adjoining private property and peeled it completely open and run his new MTB track through the fence to the road. This MTB track builder obviously hasn't done his 'due diligence' as from my understanding - after discussions last year with the previous Ranger (Barry) about this very area - almost all of this MTB 'work' in this particular forested/scrubby land is not actually a part of the park, although it may appear so - it's actually been done on private property!

Ian and the boys (ParksVic. Rangers for Plenty Gorge) are heading up today or tomorrow to inspect all the damage, repair the perimeter fencing and check out some of the other extensive but unauthorised tracks recently built on the Northside. The Landowner won't be too impressed about having their fences cut down nor their property invaded!

This 'rogue' Plenty Gorge track building is really just getting out of control!
Hi Neo,

I'm interested to know where this new unauthorised trail was. Could you perhaps PM me with a GPS trace or link to a map showing where you mean?

Personally, I'm glad that you have contacted the Rangers independently, as a mountain-biker. During my discussion with them today, this came up, and I think it shows us in a good light, being responsible park users and helping to manage unauthorised activity.

I'll be posting something on behalf of the Club in the near future, reinforcing that we do not support the building of unauthorised trails, either in the Park, or on private land, of course.

The aim of creating PGMTB was to represent mountain-bikers - including those who have built trails in the past. We were asked to promote a ban on trail building until the existing network is assessed. I can certainly relate to the fact that it has taken an awfully long time for the assessment to get under way - although I honestly don't believe it has been a stalling tactic by PV - I work as a public servant, and I can absolutely understand why these things take so long. The trouble with our community not waiting for the assessment is that building new trails means that the process will take even longer - and it doesn't help our cause when we ask them to keep open the established network. PV has already allowed us to continue to ride illegal trails built on their land - on the condition that we don't build any more without their consent. There are plans to open up previously un-ridden areas to new trails in future, but all this gets put on the back-burner while they allocate resources to locate/assess/manage/negotiate/signpost/close the new trails popping up.

With regard to your pertinent comments on the Happy Hollow property, thanks for alerting me to the detours away from the main trail. I'll try to ensure we get this addressed as a priority. The Betty Bell trail was given a provisional green light by the previous Ranger-in-Charge, as it is a much more sustainable route than the old trail going straight up the spur, the ex-bridge at the bottom of which started this whole process of advocacy and got me behind the creation of PGMTB. Yes, there are issues with the Betty Bell trail, especially given the amount of traffic it gets these days - it is the primary conduit for all MTBs between the north and south sides of the river, travelling between Greensborough/Bundoora and Plenty - but it's held up remarkably well and we intend to keep that route open indefinitely. That said, the heritage values must be protected, and if the Rangers see an unacceptable risk to the historical sites around there, they will have no choice but to shut the trail down.

Thanks for keeping us all informed.

Cheers,
Emerson

sedifus

Likes Dirt
An open letter from the Committee

"The aim of creating PGMTB was to represent mountain-bikers – including those who have built trails in the past. We were asked to promote a ban on trail building until the existing network is assessed. We can certainly relate to the fact that it has taken an awfully long time for the assessment to get under way...

...Of course we wish it could all be done much more quickly. The trouble with our community not waiting for the assessment is that building new trails means that the process will take even longer – and it doesn’t help our cause when we ask them to keep open the established network."

Read more:
http://plentygorgemtb.org.au/2015/04/28/unauthorized-trail-creation/

big gags

Likes Bikes
I got out to the Gorge today for my first decent hit out on the Yeti that I bought from Big JD a few weeks ago (it was awesome - thanks JD!!).

The trails are in sensational condition - do yourself a favour and get out there while the weather is good!!!

Gags

a_james

Squid
Hi Guys,

Do the Sunday rides only run every third of the month, or are there "unofficial" rides every Sunday? Just looks like this Sunday should be good for a ride and it's always more fun to ride with company.

Cheers!

emerthis

Likes Dirt
Hi there. Official club rides are currently only held on that Sunday, and every Tuesday night. That said, I'm sure there will be plenty of riders heading out this Sunday. I'm quite likely to be one of them, and I'm always happy to have company!

emerthis

Likes Dirt
I hadn't given that the thought I should have. How long do you want to ride for, and how far do you want to go? I'm thinking about 10am start, 2-3 hours riding.
Which direction are you coming from and how will you be getting there?

emerthis

Likes Dirt
PGMTB Club AGM will be on next month (July). Invitations will be emailed to all members at least 2 weeks in advance. There will be a bar!

emerthis

Likes Dirt
Hi everyone.

Minutes from the AGM will be posted soon.

In the mean time, however, Parks Victoria has started asking for comments on the future of Plenty Gorge Park.
The draft master plan is here:
http://www.parks.vic.gov.au/plentygorgeplan
The survey is here:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/GGHWBVX

Please get on board and have your say. There are good things planned for mountain bikers and other cyclists, so we need all the support we can get to help ensure our future riding bikes there is the best we can manage!