Plugging a tubeless tyre

T-Rex

Template denier
I have a hole in the tread of the tyre which wont stay permanently sealed. Has anyone used this type of plugging device to fix the hole and does it work?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Innovati...Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a20772d4b
Cheers
Nicko
Haven't used that one. What we usually do is use a large fabric reinforced car tyre patch on the inside of the tyre. For a cut that is say 5mm that Stans won't seal, you want say a 40mm diameter patch, and lots of glue. Best to buy this from a car parts shop like Supa Cheap or Repco.

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
^^^^^ what he said. Get a good quality patch too; the cheap ones have shit glue that doesn't bond well to the tyre.

MrCove

South Shore Distribution
i have that kit, i've used it in an emergency on the trail, leaked but got me home

i find that with tubeless when you got a large hole it's best to just tube it and replace it
never tried the car patch option though

mars mtb

Likes Dirt
Ok, what they all said, but with an addition to make it fool proof.

Prior to applying the patch on the interior ofthe tyre, from the outside you will / should glue the split.

Get a good super glue that can be used on rubber, but be careful not to apply too much as the glue will make the surrounding rubber harden if you go overboard and f**k your tyre. After cleaning the sides of the split apply the glue sparingly so there is just enough to adhere the split closed. Immediately lay the tyre flat for that section so that the split does not open, it should dry pretty quickly being super glue.

Now go to the interior of the tyre and do what you do there. Remember for a full UST tyre which has the added interior layer you will need to rough it up a bit more than tubeless ready or a non tubeless.

Hope that sorts out your problem.

Mars.