Possible Great Wall and Chery recall

Knut

Troll hunter
The people buying them are obviously more concerned with the initial price rather than the quality and life of the vehicle. They are probably also uneducated in car manufacturers and don't want to research it properly so they buy a new car for half the price of a more reliable and efficient car. These cheap new cars are intended to be thrown away after a few years use (think Daewoo........).
How is that Ferrari going by the way Dozer?

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Unlikely, unfortunately. I find it astounding that people buy these shitboxes over a nearly new Rodeo/Hilux (Great Wall) or Corolla/3/Focus etc. (Chery).

They must be really desperate to experience the crushing depreciation of a new car as well as owning an inferior vehicle.

Strange choice.:wacko:
I think this relates to Aldi-syndrome. My old man has it, And badly... He bought a stack a screwdrivers and ezy-outs but was not particularly impressed when I mentioned the ezy-outs are for when the shitty screwdrivers round the screws...

Knut

Troll hunter
Yeah, like those diesel Gemini's. They just don't make cars like that anymore.

Last edited:

Knut

Troll hunter
The reason is that people don't want to buy shit. It's all good on the day of purchase but when the salesman says he doesn't even want to take your Getz because it will cost him more to take it to the scrap metal yard than the car is worth, then the lesson is too late.

Not everyone can afford a euro car. Some Japo cars are expensive too. Maybe think what is safe, well built and will still be doing its job in ten years. With looks that aren't going to date. Pay for quality once.

I think that there are too many sub-standard cars on the road now. When you need the safety or the handling they simply are not up to the task. This puts people at risk.

moorey

call me Mia
$60,000 for a car that does nothing that my $20,000 dual cab 4 x 4 won't do? You've got to be kidding me.................. They also think their under car rust protection means they can drive on sand and into salt water.
Or my defender 130 dual cab I paid $11500 for 7 years ago that I have thrashed and can still get $15000 for.....and it shits over any hilux offroad, and in carrying/towing capacity...

Of, course, there is the minor issue of comfort.....

downhillar

Likes Dirt
There are some funny posts in this thread :)

On the topic of why would anyone buy one of these in the first place - like someone mentioned earlier they are aimed at people with no knowledge of cars I believe. I remember talking to someone I worked with a few months ago and he was telling me how he was going to get a Great Wall ute, and went on to tell me how they're exactly the same as a Hilux just half the price... :wacko:

moorey

call me Mia
Playing devils avocado, there is percieved confidence in buying new over SH, if you have a limited budget. Also consider that if you pay $25k for a great wall, and $60k for a hilux, in 5 years time the great wall might be worth $10k, and the hilux $25k. Lose $15k on the GW v lose $35k on the lux. Just saying is all.

downhillar

Likes Dirt
Playing devils avocado, there is percieved confidence in buying new over SH, if you have a limited budget. Also consider that if you pay $25k for a great wall, and $60k for a hilux, in 5 years time the great wall might be worth $10k, and the hilux $25k. Lose $15k on the GW v lose $35k on the lux. Just saying is all.
I agree with that. At the same time though the GW might cost you $10k in repairs over those 5 years that the Hilux probably won't.

Having said that I don't think I'd ever buy a brand new car in my lifetime unless I had a significant amount of cash floating around.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
great wall vehicles are disposable commodities, use and abuse for a few years and throw it out. No sympathy for people who by these and think they are getting quality.

moorey

call me Mia
I agree with that. At the same time though the GW might cost you $10k in repairs over those 5 years that the Hilux probably won't.

Having said that I don't think I'd ever buy a brand new car in my lifetime unless I had a significant amount of cash floating around.
Whats the factory warranty on the GW? 3 yrs? 5 yrs? I don't know, don't care and would never buy one....I'm just tryingn to see the side of those who would/have bought one.

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Something that has always confused me is that if you have $15k to spend on a car, and you buy a used car, it will always be a better vehicle, and will be worth more after a further 3 years than a new car (if you research it properly and service it correctly).

I guess people just love new car smell and 0km on an odometer. I will be buying 5-10yo turbo Japanese cars for the rest of my life :madgrin:

Morgan123

Likes Dirt
Something that has always confused me is that if you have $15k to spend on a car, and you buy a used car, it will always be a better vehicle, and will be worth more after a further 3 years than a new car (if you research it properly and service it correctly).

I guess people just love new car smell and 0km on an odometer. I will be buying 5-10yo turbo Japanese cars for the rest of my life :madgrin:
A lot of people don't have the skills to be able to tell if a second hand car is shagged or not so choose brand new for peace of mind

sxereturn

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not true. I'm currently in the market for a 2007+ SR5 dual cab, diesel Hilux with under 100,000km. I won't get any change from $35,000. They are $55,000 drive away. $20,000 depreciation equates to around $4,000 a year if purchased at the ticket price which is rare.

Last edited:

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
I bought a new car 4 years ago, knowing that as soon as I signed the form it goes going to lose a chunk a value.

I bought it during a factory discount period for 25k drive away, anything second hand and decent within the four year warranty period was still 20k+, so over second hand it cost 20% more, had a full warranty and I know how it gets treated and serviced from day 1. I plan on keeping this car for 12+ years - just like the last car i bought new. In the same time I have had friends that have gone through 2-4 second cars. New cars are worth the price if you don't upgrade every 5 years.

Obviously a cheap car in the scheme of things and it maybe a different story with a much more expensive car, I wouldn't have a clue.

retroenduro

Likes Dirt
If you get the one with the D4d it probably will cost you 10K in repairs! ;)

interesting test in 'drive' about taking a great wall accross the simpson or somewhere similar....

sxereturn

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just read that article...didn't think it would make it, but then again, we did virtually the same trip in 2007 - me in a 1990 4x4 Hilux and a mate in a new 2wd Rodeo! Not exactly challenging, just hit the dunes with speed.

redbruce

Eats Squid
Doubt it would even be worth that (based on mates return on his mint Sangyong ute - and it has a Mercedes based drivetrain) and in any case, thats if you live long enough to cash in anyway.

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/43...es-perform-poorly-in-ancap-crash-safety-tests

2 star - and thats with airbags!

Last edited: