Possible to mount RH Reverb lever under bars with XT M8000 shifters and brakes?

puffmoike

Likes Dirt
------------------------

EDIT: It is. See latter post in this thread for discussion and pics:
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...share_fid=1708&share_type=t&share_pid=3106942

------------------------

Is there anybody who is running – or thinks it would be possible to run – a right hand Reverb lever under the bars on the left hand side, on the outside of Shimano XT M8000 brake and shift levers? Better yet, have you got a photo of the setup?

I'm about to buy a new Trek Fuel EX, and I'm trying to anticipate if I will be able to get the cockpit 'just so'. Having demoed a Fuel EX 9 and a Remedy 9 RSL I've realised I'm very particular about the setup of my cockpit. I'm deciding between the Fuel EX 8, 9 and maybe 9.8, and want to factor in the cost of any changes I'd have to make to the stock setups before deciding which one to buy.

I've done some googling and can't find any pics of current XT levers and a Reverb lever as I describe. The most promising pic I can find is in this article on Fabien Barel's Strive setup. He runs 1x SRAM Eagle, with a RH Reverb lever under the left bar. But more interestingly to me on the right side he has a shock lockout lever –which looks suspiciously like a Reverb lever – mounted just to the outside of to a combined shifter and brake mount. I pretty sure a mirror of this general configuration on the left side of the bars would be my ideal setup.

cockpit-setup.jpg

In terms of the specifics of each of the bikes I'm considering…

The 8 comes with a KS dropper with a dinky little lever that feels horrible (at least as it's setup in the shop – I haven't ridden it), XT shifters (with current skinny mount) and Deore brakes on a separate, wide mount. If I buy this bike I'll probably replace the dropper with the year-old Reverb I have on my current bike. But the side mount of the Deore brakes makes me think it's highly unlikely I'll be able to get all the levers roughly where I want them.

The 9 has a 1x SRAM X1 setup. It comes with a LH Reverb lever above the bars, which I'd probably swap for the RH lever on my current bike, and stick it underneath. Obviously a 1x setup would be the simplest solution, but I'm pretty sure a 32-42 gear won't be low enough for my 44yo legs on big days at Buller, so I'm leaning towards a Shimano 2x setup. (If I was buying in two year's time, when 1x 10-50 setups won't be so prohibitively expensive, then this is what I'd likely go with).

The 9.8 has a 2x XT setup, on a combined skinny mount, and also has an LH Reverb lever above the bars. (It's a carbon frame, and stealth matte black, so it's the one I want to own, but not necessarily the one I want to pay for!) In the shop the Reverb lever is mounted way inboard of the combined brake and shift mount (the reservoir of the brakes limits how close it can be if mounted inboard). That's not going to work for me and my small hands.I'm pretty certain that I could mount the Reverb lever to the outside of the combined XT levers (still above the bars). But I use a dropper a lot, and I'm convinced I'd much prefer the lever underneath (I couldn't make it work with the bulky Deore levers on my 2008 Trance).

Basically I have small hands and I really want my brakes setup for one finger braking and a dropper lever resting under my thumb. I think I'm prepared to sacrifice the ergonomics of the left shifter if it's not ridiculously inboard of the dropper, if that will allow me to make it happen.

Anyone think this could work? Got any other suggestions?

Last edited:

ozdavo

Likes Dirt
I have recently bought the FEX9, my lbs swapped the left reverb lever for a right mounted under on the left for free.
I was looking at the same 3 models, and decided on the 9 because :
- I'm a Sram guy ;
- I'm a 1x guy (happy to have a 32 for regular riding, but also ok to put a 30t on for big adventures /long races where I need the lower gearing ;
- the 8 have the new low end Rhythm Fox 34... & I thought it too much of a risk with no reviews available ;
- the extra for fit the 9.8 was too much for right now for considering I would likely be looking to swap the drive train very shortly to sram;
- My 9 (& the 9.8's at my lbs) shipped with latest B1 Reverbs in 150mm (19.5") in place of the 125mm Bontrager Dropline spec'd (not sure what is currently shipping?) ;

Also, all 3 have crap wheels, the wheels on the 8 weigh over 2100g & the Bontrager Line Comps on the 9 & 9.8 are around 2065g for the set... with poor engagement (I have heard the may be dt internals with 18poe which can be upgraded, but at that weight....

I know I haven't answered your questions but I hope this may help.

Also yes RS have a hydraulic lockout on some forks that user the same lever add a reverb.

PS I am loving the modulation of the Guide RS's after coming from XT M785's which I thought I loved!

Sent using Tapatalk

Last edited:

puffmoike

Likes Dirt
I have recently bought the FEX9, my lbs swapped the left reverb lever for a right mounted under on the left for free.
I was looking at the same 3 models, and decided on the 9 because :

- the 8 have the new low end Rhythm Fox 34... & I thought it too much of a risk with no reviews available
Same question in my mind. The Pinkbike review of the Grip 34 was so good that I can't possibly imagine regretting that. But there's almost nothing written about the Rhythm yet.

- My 9 (& the 9.8's at my lbs) shipped with latest B1 Reverbs in 150mm (19.5") in place of the 125mm Bontrager Dropline spec'd (not sure what is currently shipping?)
Yep, The only bike I've seen with a Bontrager dropper (which I understand to be the same OEM as Giant's dropper) was on a 9.9. I'd certainly prefer to take a 150mm new Reverb, which was on the two bikes I test rode, than as yet unproven 125mm Bontrager (which Flow reported needed a service after one day testing), or the 100mm KS on the 8.

Also, all 3 have crap wheels, the wheels on the 8 weigh over 2100g & the Bontrager Line Comps on the 9 & 9.8 are around 2065g for the set... with poor engagement (I have heard the may be dt internals with 18poe which can be upgraded, but at that weight....
That's one thing playing in the back of my mind in favour of getting an 8. A better/lighter wheelset such as a DT Swiss XM1501 30mm is basically the difference in price to a 9, and everything I've read says a good wheelset is a decent, immediately noticeable upgrade.

PS I am loving the modulation of the Guide RS's after coming from XT M785's which I thought I loved!
Coming from my 2008 Deore-level brakes, and not being particularly aggressive, I imagine I'll be happy with either Sram or Shimano. Having said that riding the Fuel EX demo on the rock gardens of Junction Descent at the Youeys I went from mid-table on Strava to top 5%, so perhaps I'll start becoming more critical of braking performance and feel…

Alo661

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Same question in my mind. The Pinkbike review of the Grip 34 was so good that I can't possibly imagine regretting that. But there's almost nothing written about the Rhythm yet.

It's the same damper and Float air spring, just doesn't have the black stanchion coatings or the 3 position dial.

Yep, The only bike I've seen with a Bontrager dropper (which I understand to be the same OEM as Giant's dropper) was on a 9.9. I'd certainly prefer to take a 150mm new Reverb, which was on the two bikes I test rode, than as yet unproven 125mm Bontrager (which Flow reported needed a service after one day testing), or the 100mm KS on the 8.

My experience with the Bonty Drop-Line is terrible. Purchased one to replace the Reverb than came on my Remedy RSL and also got my mate a Drop-Line as well. His stopped working in the first ride on it and it felt clunky and sticky. Was returned to Trek and given a refund. I thought, it was going to just be a one off. However, mine crapped it's self on the first ride as well! No amount of adjustment of cable-tension nor loosening the seat post clamp down to 2 nM could get it to work. Sent it back to Trek and got a refund. Refitted my Reverb and wouldn't bother with the Drop-Line ever again. Drop-Line seems to be 1-2 generations behind the Giant dropper. I dread the next shipment of Remedys, Fuels that come into Aus within the next week or two. Think they'll come with Drop-Lines, but hopefully they stick with Reverbs.
To answer your initial question; why not just change the XT to 1x with a 11-46 cassette and buy a RH Reverb remote.

I own a 2014 Trek Fuel EX 9 which came with full XT (10 speed) and a Reverb. No matter how you try and run the Reverb remote under the bar with the shifter and brake, it'll never sit nicely. You either run the shifter massively inboard or just deal with having the remote sitting ontop of the bar. This bike now has a KS Lev on it, which works so much better with 2x shifters.

If it was me, I'd buy the 9.8. The XT gives you the ability to change between 1x and 2x with ease. Another solution to your Reverb remote problems would be to get a Time Trial shifer and run it where the bottle cage mounts are for the front derailleur. Otherwise, just go Di2 with synchro-shift and you only need one shifter and still have a 2x drivetrain.

puffmoike

Likes Dirt
No matter how you try and run the Reverb remote under the bar with the shifter and brake, it'll never sit nicely. You either run the shifter massively inboard or just deal with having the remote sitting ontop of the bar.
Yep, had another look in the shop today and it's not going to happen. SRAM shifters sit considerably further below the bar than XT, so even if Barel's mechanic was able to make it work, I don't think I'd ever be able to make it work with XT levers.

If it was me, I'd buy the 9.8. The XT gives you the ability to change between 1x and 2x with ease. Another solution to your Reverb remote problems would be to get a Time Trial shifer and run it where the bottle cage mounts are for the front derailleur.
Now I hadn't thought of that. Flick the shock to climb and then the derailleur to the small ring…

Otherwise, just go Di2 with synchro-shift and you only need one shifter and still have a 2x drivetrain.
Yep, sadly it seems like throwing money at the problem would be the most elegant way to solve it. Wish the tech (Di2 and/or Eagle cassette) would trickle down faster. ;-)

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
I do run a RH reverb lever on the left hand side. Got my older reverb warrantied, replaced with the new gen version, but they replaced my LH version with a RH version. It's working for me though, so no big deal.

I run my dropper inboard of the brake lever - but I'm the opposite of you, I've got big hands so having it outboard would never work for me. Looking at my setup, I think it'd work, but you may be limited in your angles. I think you'd have to run the lever more vertically, which may mean you're having to lift a thumb to press it. My setup has it laying a lot flatter - I barely have to adjust my grip to activate it.

One thing I did learn when adjusting mine upside down though, is that it's VERY particular about angles. Mine's setup at about a 95% perfect angle for me - I couldn't get it 100% though, because that angle caused the hydraulics to basically stop working. Dropper return would slow to a fraction of normal speed. Adjust it a few degrees, and it came back to its normal snappy return. I think running more vertically would be fine though - my issues appeared when I tried to go too horizontal.

Hope this helps!

Edit - only just saw your last reply. I'm running XT in a 1x setup, so sounds like that makes a big difference :(

Last edited:

puffmoike

Likes Dirt
I do run a RH reverb lever on the left hand side. Got my older reverb warrantied, replaced with the new gen version, but they replaced my LH version with a RH version. It's working for me though, so no big deal.

I run my dropper inboard of the brake lever - but I'm the opposite of you, I've got big hands so having it outboard would never work for me. Looking at my setup, I think it'd work, but you may be limited in your angles. I think you'd have to run the lever more vertically, which may mean you're having to lift a thumb to press it. My setup has it laying a lot flatter - I barely have to adjust my grip to activate it.

One thing I did learn when adjusting mine upside down though, is that it's VERY particular about angles. Mine's setup at about a 95% perfect angle for me - I couldn't get it 100% though, because that angle caused the hydraulics to basically stop working. Dropper return would slow to a fraction of normal speed. Adjust it a few degrees, and it came back to its normal snappy return. I think running more vertically would be fine though - my issues appeared when I tried to go too horizontal.

Hope this helps!

Edit - only just saw your last reply. I'm running XT in a 1x setup, so sounds like that makes a big difference :(
Cheers. Yep I've realised that I got too excited when I saw the pic I linked to. 2x and under the bar isn't going to happen unless I put either the Reverb or the brakes a looooong way inboard.

Now I'd better make sure my assumption that it will work fine with a 1x system is actually valid, and that I'll be able to get the Reverb lever sufficiently flat that the underbar position is ergonomic. No point getting it under if I then have to run it at a ridiculous angle.

When I demoed the EX9 the lever was above the bars and inboard of the the brakes. The Remedy 9 RSL I was also trialling had the same lever and brakes, but together on the same mount. I originally preferred the Remedy setup, but once I moved the dropper outboard on the Fuel it was way better for my hands. (I'd rather run the dropper above the bars and outboard, than below the bars and inboard. But I'm almost certain that below the bars and outboard would be highly preferable to either, and I think having the cockpit right is more important to me than most other considerations for this bike selection!)

rish

Cannon Fodder
I'm running M820 brakes with a RH reverb lever run on the LHS under the bar. It works pretty well, but it can be a slightly awkward thumb movement getting to the remote if you need to drop your seat in a hurry. It's been mounted between the brake lever and the grip locking collar.

puffmoike

Likes Dirt
Well further scrounging around Google and I've hit pay dirt.

On a German forum (Google Translate version)somebody has posted a photo of the exact setup I had in mind, and reports that it worked well. It certainly looks neat (although the photo isn't the greatest).

IMG_0750.JPG

That's concerning. But in the photo it looks to be on a decent angle.

Only one way to find out for myself I suppose… bike ordered ;-)

puffmoike

Likes Dirt
And for anyone who might be wondering… it works really well.

I have the lever mounted outboard of the combined brake/shifter mount, with the barrel and hose fed between the brake reservoir and the shifter pod. The smaller shift lever (change down) can no longer be operated by the index finger, and the dropper lever *slightly* affects the how I change up with my thumb (push the bottom half of the lever).

These are very small concessions for having a dropper lever which falls very naturally under the thumb (and which I use far more regularly than the shifter).

Last edited: