Possums discussion thread

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Absolutely. There is no place in the world other than the north shore of Vancouver where it is appropriate to use timber on a mountain bike track.
why is that? not trying to start a fight, but thats a pretty bold statement....
Ha ha I guess the sarcasm got lost in the message... just kind of fed up with the attitude of people looking at any piece of woodwork and calling it "north shore".

I can handle the attitude of people not wanting skinny ladder bridges and ewok homes on a high speed downhill track. But I'm fed up with people hating on woodwork generally.

Reubs

Likes Bikes and Dirt
....and ewok homes on a high speed downhill track. But I'm fed up with people hating on woodwork generally.
I think one of these would look cool at possums! ewoks and all. http://www.freespiritspheres.com/

Most people hate on woodwork because more often than not it is poorly thought out, poorly constructed garbage that spoils the flow of the trail. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yt7D6WVUUs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OafSJr6__Rk
My 2 favourite trails are Sex Girl and Fade to Black. Both are great examples of how to flow timberwork on a steep trail. You would have seen Vanderham riding the Sex Girl rock chute at 1:12 in Follow Me. Build stuff like this and no one will hate on it.

oh, but wait, this is the possums thread so it will be built out of fence boards and sticky tape. Yeah, dont build anything with timber. My bad.

isaac h

Likes Bikes
if people build north-shores there usually crappy ones that fall apart. people will just destroy it (like the old step up, step down (A line B Line)) or what ever you use to call it. theres always kids that cant do it so they break it or people will hurt them self on it and the council/rangers will come up and destroy the track.

zen zen

Likes Dirt
the berm after boost has been fairly run down with lantana and now everyone just cuts inside. but i went up today and hacked some of the lantana and cleaned it up a tad. also the dark berm/section is pretty crap. any suggestions on wat should be done there
The line was changed to cut inside after boost because you had way to much speed and the berm couldn't handle that, the line was adapted for safety reasons as many crashes were occurring there.

isaac h

Likes Bikes
The line was changed to cut inside after boost because you had way to much speed and the berm couldn't handle that, the line was adapted for safety reasons as many crashes were occurring there.
fair enough but line is still there for any takers

nskz

Likes Dirt
Has anyone riden treetops lately? I'm rather keen to get riding it again.
I ride it quite often on my XC bike, last time was probably about 6 weeks ago and yes it's a little overgrown. It's more just the leaf matter and shite that's on the trail though, a quick bit of rake action and a few bikes down there and it would clean up in no time.

chris21

Squid
far out who ever is rebuilding 4x, it looks nuts!
i went up yesterday and some guy with dreadies, is doing the make over???. Never seen him up there before, but by the looks of guy it appears he gets "super extreme" im talking fully sponsored by the likes of vb, winnie blues... Etc

dh1

Likes Dirt
i went up yesterday and some guy with dreadies, is doing the make over???. Never seen him up there before, but by the looks of guy it appears he gets "super extreme" im talking fully sponsored by the likes of vb, winnie blues... Etc
Does he ride a sunday?

supermajo1

Likes Dirt
yeh okay 4x is screwed
need a total makeover.
and this would never get done but does anyone else think it would be awesome to have a 4x track where beau's jumps were?

emerthis

Likes Dirt
Been a long time

Long gone are the days when I rode Possums. And Slippery (Joe's, it was then), from the southern side of the hill where Brokers Nose lookout is/was.
Reading this thread has left me a bit nostalgic - would love to come up there to belt down that mountainside a couple more times, but it sounds like the trail would have changed in between shuttles.
Has no-one attempted to make Slipperies less steep? Multiple switchbacks, a little bit of traversing the slope, rather than just the nuts-out, arse over the back wheel plummet? Can you ride the entry right up at the top at all (to the left of the old entrance always looked feasible)? Or is it still those sketchy steps that completely ruin the flow in between the clifftop firetrail and the insanity of Slipperies proper?
I loved Slippery Joe's, but it was all over too quick. You lose way too much altitude way too fast - which kinda defeats the purpose of going all the way up the hill in the first place. Might as well blast down the firetrail (read MTB freeway) north of the lookout, hard right at the bottom of Rixons Pass and venture forth from there.
Whereabouts is Treetops? Sounds like one that was started some years back by a friend of mine, that eventually pops out onto the old sealed mine road up from the top of Possums.
Anyway guys, sounds like fun is being had. Same old problem with too much easy access for motos and 4bie drivers - but you get that. And as much as they ruin the fun, they also keep trails open. I only wish I had a few motos locally to open up some of the trails near my new place. Or even just a pit-bike to do it myself.
Anyway, Keira & Bulli were always busier and more full-on DH. Long live the Kembla Drift and D2, too!

tim_d

Likes Dirt
Is any Wollongong riders keen to head out to any of these trails this weekend?

I've recently moved to Wollongong (Fairy Meadow) to go to uni, and am super keen to ride some of these trails. I did a fair bit of building at home too, so will be keen to help out when I'm not overrun with uni work.

Also, is 4x at possums? I don't expect anyone to give me directions on here, but I'm keen to go for a ride and show I'm a decent person who won't wreck trails, leave rubbish etc.

Last edited:

Red.

Likes Dirt
Is any Wollongong riders keen to head out to any of these trails this weekend?

I've recently moved to Wollongong (Fairy Meadow) to go to uni, and am super keen to ride some of these trails. I did a fair bit of building at home too, so will be keen to help out when I'm not overrun with uni work.

Also, is 4x at possums? I don't expect anyone to give me directions on here, but I'm keen to go for a ride and show I'm a decent person who won't wreck trails, leave rubbish etc.
haha possums is like at fairy meadow haha im not really sure on the addres but im keen to go for a ride one day, Not really this weekend but because im probs riding moto and ourimbah sunday. But i ride it of a arvo. I go up there around 4 of an arvo. I could meet you at the fisho in tarrawanna

tim_d

Likes Dirt
haha possums is like at fairy meadow haha im not really sure on the addres but im keen to go for a ride one day, Not really this weekend but because im probs riding moto and ourimbah sunday. But i ride it of a arvo. I go up there around 4 of an arvo. I could meet you at the fisho in tarrawanna
Thanks, that sounds good. I went up there Friday arvo and Luke showed me around, then again Saturday morning with another mate and had a really good ride.

I'm pretty keen to help build etc when you guys need help and to put forward ideas etc. I did a fair bit of track building before I moved up here.

Tim