Post up your Hardtail Huck bikes

framd0

Likes Dirt
Still under construction:

I'm missing:
- Brakes (levers, cables, rotors, calipers)
- Rear derailleur (I'd really like a short cage)
- Chain (I've got a spare weenie one which I'll use for now)
- Grips
- Rear shifter (I've got an LX one spare)
I LOVE THAT cant wait for pics of complete

Last edited:

Justin Fox

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I believe they are the old forks off the Reign. In which case they would be Fox 32 Float RL w/lockout, 140mm.
Yup well spotted. The bike's a frankenstein build which has been built up with parts from my parts bin and the new parts pictured in the post on the page before. I'm missing a few things which are hopefully going to be "donated" to me my mates this week some time. I want a few mates to come out riding with me, they're curious, but have no bikes so this will be the loaner bike.

It's not meant to look like anything really. It probably won't work that great either. If I wanted it to look nice I would have got it painted, and chosen green wheels... or something?! :)

Spec list so far:
Frame: 2006 Yeti DJ Long
Fork: Fox 32 Float RL w/lockout, 140mm (1730g) 175mm steerer
Brakes:
Crankset: Shimano Deore LX
Bottom Bracket: Raceface Evolve XC X-Type integrated, outboard (114g)
Chain Guide: MRP mini iscg 492g
Chain: Yaban chain (264g)
+ Sram powerlink connector (2g)
Pedals: Odyssey PC
Headset: FSA Pig DH-Pro Headset 1-1/8 (205g)
+ Gold spacer 10mm
+ carbon spacer 3mm
Handlebar: Easton EA70 25.4mm Low Rise 685mm (276g)
Grips:
Stem: Funn smx stem 217g
Cassette: 08 Cycle King Titanium Cassette 11-32T (179g)
Rims / Wheelset: XT hubs/dt champion spokes/DT Swiss Pro-lock nipples/Rhyno Lite XL/Maxxis rim tape 2508g
Skewers: XT Skewers 122g
Tyres: Tyre: Kenda Nevegal 26 X 2.35 DTC 120 front (671g/660g)
Tubes: Kenda
Saddle: SDG Ti Fly C 215g
Seatpost: KCNC Ti Pro Lite Scandium (153g)
Seatpost clamp KCNC (24g)

Mitch243

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Really? It looks in the pics like they're MTX33

I can't wait to build up my hucktail, just waiting on some cash-flow

.243 DH frame
66/totem/domain/travis/z1/55/lyric/36
MTX/823/crusher/SAS wheelset
Singlespeeding with bmx everything (cranks, bb, chain, sprockets)
npj wonderbars and Time Zxx Freeride pedals

Just need to settle on forks and wheels. Whatever I can get cheapest I suppose.

I haven't got pretty pictures or a pretty bike like Justin Fox, but 66s are in the mail, and I have Hussefelt bars/stem, Diatech DH Headset, Sunline lock-ons, BMX drivetrain with a DMR Spacer kit. Imperial Wheels to be ordered soon :D

Justin Fox

Likes Bikes and Dirt
She's done!

As always, the official weigh in. I expected at least 15kg's so I'm happy.

I lost the little cable guide on the Fox fork (very annoying) but Ash from MCC gave me this Manitou cable clamp and it works a treat.

XT rear mech.

Controls.

Full bike shot.

Alright a few issues:
- Chain line in the big rear cog is bad, so much so that it's pushing the chain off the front chainring. Half of it's the cassette which did the same crap on my Reign (it's the one from my Reign) so I might have to replace the cassette with a new one.

- The front 203mm rotor is too big so I might put 160's on front and back. I can hear it rub when I mash the bike due to flex? It's either the 9mm flexing or the wheels. Either way it's not nice to hear the brakes rubbing when I mash it.

- The brake cables are too long. I'll get the boys at MCC to cut them down for me soon.

Apart from that she ride's like a little demon! Very playful, fast, feels lighter than she is. I reckon it'll be great out on the trails!

Endo

Likes Dirt

Fun SMX stem.

This amazing dude saved my life. No seriously look at the low stack height! My super short steerer is not an issue anymore, in fact I need to use a 10mm spacer now as this stem's stack height is so damn low. Perfect!
Hey I was in the same boat with a super short steerer on my Pikes - but Funn SMX saved my bike and my wallet! Thanks Funn! </infomercial review> But seriously, I think it's a pretty good looking stem -- nicely CNC'ed too!

Great build BTW...

Mitch243

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nice Yeti Justin. I like the lairy colours, real standout, action shots requested ;) please

I haven't got pretty pictures or a pretty bike like Justin Fox, but 66s are in the mail, and I have Hussefelt bars/stem, Diatech DH Headset, Sunline lock-ons, BMX drivetrain with a DMR Spacer kit. Imperial Wheels to be ordered soon :D

Forks came in the mail. I like. I'm kind of annoyed, I just paid a $500 repair bill on a bloody $900 Giant Alias. If that wasn't necissary I'd have the wheels and it'd be a bike :mad:

Oh, and here's the frame (the cranks are rawed and looking beautiful now, the proper headset is in and there is a seatpost, as well as the handlebars and stem)

and the cranks

..... ok, someone tell me how to resize images

mtb_champ

Likes Bikes and Dirt

My 09 sasquatch, DMR V8's, sdg saddle, e13 lg1, maxxis ardent and highroller, XT chain, Black NS rear hub, ODI lock ons. looking at funn bars and stem very very soon.

Last edited:

Mitch243

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My 09 sasquatch, DMR V8's, sdg saddle, e13 lg1, maxxis ardent and highroller, XT chain, Black NS rear hub, ODI lock ons. looking at funn bars and stem very very soon.
Nice bike, really nice bike, but goddamn I hate those seats (and bloody SLX Gearing stuff, on an off topic note).:mad:

Something that may be a tad of a money waster, but really makes it look good is to get some blue bar ends, dhd has some blue anodised ones. But I'd really look at a new seat, those bel-airs have a tendancy to have a fail and break to the eleventh degree. Ti-Fly is nice ;)

Watch those forks too, if they are 09...

dj3

Likes Bikes and Dirt

no don't huck that!!:eek::eek: it looks way to nice and new to huck yet.

mtb_champ

Likes Bikes and Dirt
thanks guys, i put the seat on cause its much lighter then the std norco dj seat and more comfy i know it doesnt look crash hot.. The forks i have heard had sr suntour rebound cartridge, but had them checked and its marrzochi, so far so good they ride really really well way better then my old 06 66VF2.
The bikes getting the rear wheel build with ns hub as i type this, can't wait to ride it again. I destroyed the factory hub in a month due to hucking:eek:
I really want to upgrade the bars, stem, cranks and maybe seat post.