Post your all mountain bike

SideFX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well.. I had some issues with the Intense frame, and the guys have been really slow coming to the party with warranty.. I'm heading to New Zealand for 2 weeks riding at the end of the month, so in the interests of actually having a bike I was comfortable riding over there I got onto the guys at FTR and sorted a new Nomad frame... Hard to demonstrate in the photo but it's the satin clear finish which looks awesome. Heavy wheels, tyres, etc.. 14.1kg. Needs a zero offset seatpost and shorter stem, too.

Leitch , could you please give me the spec on you BB , chainguide , cranks 2 or 3 ring , out ring and is it ten speed .
Wicked bike , the drive trail looks really neat . Im wanting to do the same to a BLUR lt and just need some advice ,was there any fit issues ect Cheers , Damo

AshR

Likes Dirt
Sweet bike, that Soda. I wouldn't mind trying mine with an air shock that locks out.

Pedal bob is only bad when standing and hammering. But the Soda is a bike that allows this...
yeah I have noticed this too, thinking I might pump the shock up a little more to compensate :)

front forks will take a bit of tuning (more rides needed than the initial 17kms) but it's such a rad bike.

can't wait to give it hell in Bright this weekend ;)

kavo

Likes Bikes
Kav's Build

In the process of building mine/waiting on parts. Its a graduation present to me, from me. heres something to get started

23951_4336320078753_822463703_n.jpg

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Yeah, maybe. But my old bike weighed a ton and was in need of new rubber and a split rim, rear shock needed a fix - it was due a birthday. I swapped out forks, rebuilt rear shock so all up dropped the weight by about 1.5kgs and basically have a new bike, using an old frame I am familiar with, that suits me to a T. As for cost, it was about $1200, wheels off here, forks and shock rebuild. So still 1/3 the cost of a new bike...which I cant afford right now anyway - or next year. Family comes first. I have 3 bikes and the Six is my AM/XC ride. The reduced weight was a goal.

How does it ride? Well on 2.1tyres in the roots and rocks in Cairns, its like riding on say a 2.5 wide tyre for smoothness BUT having the efficiency of a 2.1. Its given the Six a little higher BB which is a plus as pedal strikes are a bit of a pain. It will be real interesting when i can get some 2.3 tyres. Its no different in tight stuff, but has better out of the seat climbing, jumps the same, but haven't yet hit the big stuff at the bottom of the DH track...gimme a chance to dial the suspension!

Marketing hype? maybe - who cares? Isn't everything new? Riding a carbon 29er and being blown away by how much more efficient it was over my same tracks gave me the idea that 650b was worth investigation. I wouldn't jump a 29er like I do the Six, the Six is still fun which is the whole point. So hope that answers a couple of questions.
I don't see the point of 650b "conversions" where you have to run a small bag skinny tyre to make it fit the frame/fork..... the diameter change becomes minimal with extra expense, slightly heavier and weaker wheels.. oh yeah and how many LBS' have a ready supply of 650b tyres when you slash a wall pinning that techy rock line at warp speed and you've driven a few hrs to ride somewhere new?

Not knocking your choice. Looks nice. Just reckon you could have dropped the weight and kept 26" and nice big bagged, wide rubber on there....

rone

Eats Squid
I don't see the point of 650b "conversions" where you have to run a small bag skinny tyre to make it fit the frame/fork..... the diameter change becomes minimal with extra expense, slightly heavier and weaker wheels.. oh yeah and how many LBS' have a ready supply of 650b tyres when you slash a wall pinning that techy rock line at warp speed and you've driven a few hrs to ride somewhere new?

Not knocking your choice. Looks nice. Just reckon you could have dropped the weight and kept 26" and nice big bagged, wide rubber on there....
It's like the 29er argument all over again.

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's like the 29er argument all over again.
Not really, a conversion is (or can be) very different from a bike designed to be 650b....

Been thinking about the value of these conversions in regard to tyre height too....

If a 26x 2.1 measures around 660 dia
a 650B is + 28mm

If the conversion does not allow clearance for wider tyre (which is also bigger dia) then fitting the 26" with a 2.4 will add 15-18mm?? dia
So for AM riding the end result is a skinny tyre only 10mm bigger in diameter....

The above sizes changes are aprox, would be happy to hear of some real sizes....

F-Bomb

Likes Bikes
Hi everyone, you may have recently read a review in either the Australian mountain bike or the Mountain Biking Australia of the Liteville 301?
[...]
Stem: Syntace F109
Cheers for the info. I was wondering whether this stem could take AM abuse. Looks like Liteville and Syntace believe so.

nexusfish

El Mariachi
Not really, a conversion is (or can be) very different from a bike designed to be 650b....

Been thinking about the value of these conversions in regard to tyre height too....

a 650B is + 28mm

If the conversion does not allow clearance for wider tyre (which is also bigger dia) then fitting the 26" with a 2.4 will add 15-18mm?? dia
So for AM riding the end result is a skinny tyre only 10mm bigger in diameter....

The above sizes changes are aprox, would be happy to hear of some real sizes....
Finally some commonsense on the 650b issue. Very little performance gains, large loss in wallet performance.

chonox

Likes Dirt
:hail:

my oh my.... words cannot describe...

I lurk this thread daily but have never posted until now... amazing carbine with perfect components, well thought out.. except I'm a flat pedals kinda guy :p

4dabush

Likes Dirt

a 650B is + 28mm

Hi Steve and Nexusfish,

some answers re: tyre sizes. (comes from http://www.mtbtires.com )

650b
2.35 Nevegal 708mm
2.30 Neo moto 704mm
2.25 Racing Ralf 698mm
2.1 Neo moto 698mm

26 inch
2.35 Nevegal 682mm
2.35 Minion DHF 682mm
2.25 Racing Ralf 674mm
2.25 Crossmark 686mm
2.6 Ardent DH 690mm

29er
2.20 Nevegal 740mm

In my post I said I was looking forward to getting back on 2.3's that will fit my conversion.

Bigger taller tyres like Nobby Nicks or Hans Dampf wont fit my conversion...and sure tyres are an issue today, but they wont be in 6 months. Like I tried to say, the ride on the narrower tyres ('cause its all I've got at the mo.) is like being on a really big bagged tyre, without the drag and weight. The bike 'feels' almost exactly the same, just as fun, so not slow or too race orientated like the 29ers I've ridden (which is not many nor AM ones).

The info above shows what I mean as the 2.6 Ardent is nearly the same size as the smallest 650b. Obviously for the xc/uphill part of AM riding, a DH sized tyre would be heavy and slow,but for the downhill the fat 26 is far better than the skinny 650b. BUT AM is all about compromise, hey?

I'm having fun without buying a new bike, and to show an example of the 'tweener' size and give you my 2 bobs worth on my experience. So that was really the point of the post - and to show the same bike's progression from Page 3 of this thread, that was all. Half the bikes that far back will have different owners by now!

I'm not going to argue 650b is a new miracle wheel size... Sundays are shuttle days and the AM bike stays in the shed and the Team DH comes out to play...if I'm lucky, during the week I might get in a ride on my 26 hardtail DJ which is most likely 30-40mins before dark on a local pump track...neither of these 2 rides would be improved on 650b or 29er that's for sure.

cheers all,