Post your all mountain bike

freddofrog

Likes Dirt
Kona Stuff 2-4

Here's my son's new ride, a 2008 Kona Stuff 2-4. Technically is a dirt jump bike but for it him (8yr old) it will be his DJ/XC/AM/DH everything bike.

Swapped the original non-adjustable Marzocchi DJ3s for some dual air 85-115mm Rockshox which I've since lowered to be 50-80mm. I have to run them at 20-30psi but at least they actually work under this 20kg weight, unlike the original DJ3s which didn't budge. I've also blinged it out with matching pedals and seat post clamp.

Did our first downhill runs on it this arvo and he loves it!!!

Kona1sm.jpg

GDonehue

Likes Dirt
Here's my son's new ride, a 2008 Kona Stuff 2-4. Technically is a dirt jump bike but for it him (8yr old) it will be his DJ/XC/AM/DH everything bike.

Swapped the original non-adjustable Marzocchi DJ3s for some dual air 85-115mm Rockshox which I've since lowered to be 50-80mm. I have to run them at 20-30psi but at least they actually work under this 20kg weight, unlike the original DJ3s which didn't budge. I've also blinged it out with matching pedals and seat post clamp.

Did our first downhill runs on it this arvo and he loves it!!!

View attachment 268800
You, sir, are a cool dad! Great build for the young-un and probably nowhere near as expensive as some of the boutique brand little-person bikes.

WaltP

Likes Bikes
Something rare

A few special tricks in here
Custom suspension with remote Pro-pedal boost
Single ring with wide range cassette
Just need to find a place to race it!

Aus pics 2012 052.jpg

crim 87

Likes Dirt
thats pretty good do you like them much better than your fox's ?? how much pressure are u running in them ?? i'm 80 kg have mine set at about 100psi which doesn't seem to bottom out as much but the small bump compliance is terrible

mitchy_

Llama calmer
yeti looks hot with black stanchions and white lowers! maybe i bought the wrong colour forks..

thats pretty good do you like them much better than your fox's ?? how much pressure are u running in them ?? i'm 80 kg have mine set at about 100psi which doesn't seem to bottom out as much but the small bump compliance is terrible
what sag % are you at? try dropping it a bit maybe, i'm ~90kg and have mine at about 100psi.

kiwijohn

Likes Dirt
I only went for 2 steps for the colour. I'd have preferred the solo.
I'm 85kg & running about 80psi to get 25% sag. Might go down to 75psi to see what its like. Small bumps are good & the feeling of control is superb.
The improved rigidity over the Foxes is immense. I can now rail corners & stick lines like it's meant to.
With this fork, the Yeti has been unleashed.

MrZ32

Likes Dirt
I only went for 2 steps for the colour. I'd have preferred the solo.
I'm 85kg & running about 80psi to get 25% sag. Might go down to 75psi to see what its like. Small bumps are good & the feeling of control is superb.
The improved rigidity over the Foxes is immense. I can now rail corners & stick lines like it's meant to.
With this fork, the Yeti has been unleashed.
My sentiments exactly. .. handles so much better

As for psi... im just under 80 with a full camel back and gear. .. running 70psi and around 25% sag looking at trying 65psi but for the moment seems perfect

crim 87

Likes Dirt
yeah i was running lower pressures suited to my weight but the fork kept bottoming out even on small drops. im wondering if it's a valving issue ?? also ive heard you can upgrade to the 2014 ctd cartridge and its supposed to be worlds better but you have to send your forks off.

kiwijohn

Likes Dirt
yeah i was running lower pressures suited to my weight but the fork kept bottoming out even on small drops. im wondering if it's a valving issue ?? also ive heard you can upgrade to the 2014 ctd cartridge and its supposed to be worlds better but you have to send your forks off.
A quick fix for your Foxs is to put a bit of fork oil in the air chamber to ramp up the progression.

guitar1234

Likes Dirt
You don't have to send them away if your LBS, or yourself, are adequately able to work on your suspension (its easier than you think) you just need the proper tools, instructions and parts and it'd be easy

crim 87

Likes Dirt
You don't have to send them away if your LBS, or yourself, are adequately able to work on your suspension (its easier than you think) you just need the proper tools, instructions and parts and it'd be easy

really i thought it was fairly technical because you had the option of either sending your forks to fox or taking out the cartridge and sending to them which i have no idea how to take the cartridge out.

GDonehue

Likes Dirt
YouTube is you friend on this one, too. There are a few really good how to vids with basic to full services of pretty much every fork. One of the German ones I found was awesome - I just couldn't understand a word the dude was saying.

pylet_tibs

Likes Bikes
Hey guys, Ive had a long time off the saddle after racing DH but wanted to get back on the saddle but more for AM/XC riding. Recently bought a 2012 X3 trance, any ideas for upgrades? I have little idea of the AM/XC world. I completed the oaks tracks last weekend and the bike was a little noisy (mostly chain slapping), rear tyre didnt feel to good around the corners and the suspension is set up for a 90kg bloke who I bought the bike off and I am only 67kg so perhaps an adjustment is warranted. Any input?

Cheers

Attachments

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Hey guys, Ive had a long time off the saddle after racing DH but wanted to get back on the saddle but more for AM/XC riding. Recently bought a 2012 X3 trance, any ideas for upgrades? I have little idea of the AM/XC world. I completed the oaks tracks last weekend and the bike was a little noisy (mostly chain slapping), rear tyre didnt feel to good around the corners and the suspension is set up for a 90kg bloke who I bought the bike off and I am only 67kg so perhaps an adjustment is warranted. Any input?

Cheers
Tidy looking purchase. If you don't have one, get yourself a shock pump and look up the pressure chart for your fork and shock. Then adjust pressure to suit your weight plus gear, take a it of time to experiment with pressures as they can always be varied to give different feedback and ride characteristics.