Post your all mountain bike

Stumpy13

Likes Bikes
Revs, only weigh 68kg Pikes are overkill for the riding I do.
damn! there goes my excuse for buying a pike!!! I weigh the same but I'm looking for an excuse to get pikes.
problem is if I do get them, I'm not sure how to covert my 20mm hubs to suit the 15mm maxle of the pikes. anyone know if its just a matter of getting a hub conversion kit?

kicka84

Likes Bikes
Hi all,

Some (fuzzy) pics and short vid of my new ride... 2014 Lapierre Spicy 527 upgraded with a Pike fork, carbon Truvativ Blackbox Jerome Clementz bars, 32T Race Face NW single ring and a tubeless conversion. Weighed in at 13.35kg with pedals (Jet Black) in a size Large.

Have had the bike about 3 weeks now, upgrade from my 2009 Felt Compulsion. Love it. Picked it up new from My Mountain and the boys were awesome in accommodating test rides and the upgrades I desired. I highly recommend them for their service, knowledge and just being cool down to earth guys... In fact I shamelessly stole these pics from their FB and Instagram pages. Haven't gotten around to taking any myself yet. Cheers.

Quick pre-build vid:
http://instagram.com/p/mW_8GDiz6l/

Put the bars on after the pics...

View attachment 289095
View attachment 289096
View attachment 289094
That bike looks awesome
I have last years model spicy and can not fault the bike in anyway it is such a well balanced bike
Did ride one with and without pikes and you have made the right decision they do make a noticeable difference
Not too sure on the avid trail brakes though on the new ones, sucks rissole aus misses out on the formula brakes
Jelly

Agostino

Likes Dirt
damn! there goes my excuse for buying a pike!!! I weigh the same but I'm looking for an excuse to get pikes.
problem is if I do get them, I'm not sure how to covert my 20mm hubs to suit the 15mm maxle of the pikes. anyone know if its just a matter of getting a hub conversion kit?
Depends what hubs you have. If DT swiss, Hope they can be converted with end caps but your best of doing some research first. Otherwise you will need to lace a new hub to suit which will be another cost.

Mr Kurt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Here's my girl fresh out of the shower ;) A 2012 SantaCcruze Heckler

Been a while since I have posted her. Changes are:

X-9 type 2 over the old 9 spd X-9.
A Reverb (Thank god!)
High Roller 2 on the front (replacing the Specialized Clutch)
And thanks to Moorey for selling me the holy grail, a set of 2011 Dual Air Revelations. Straight steerer with a 20mm axle! Golden! These were replacing the 2011 X-Fusion HLR. Only put them on yesterday, so i'm very keen to try them out this weekend. The first difference is the weight has dropped, along with the front end by about 50mm. Although the forks are smaller (10mm travel and 4m thickness) the front end feels more aggressive.

Attachments

That bike looks awesome
I have last years model spicy and can not fault the bike in anyway it is such a well balanced bike
Did ride one with and without pikes and you have made the right decision they do make a noticeable difference
Not too sure on the avid trail brakes though on the new ones, sucks rissole aus misses out on the formula brakes
Jelly
Thanks man.

Yeah, not a huge fan of the Avid Trail 7s. They're ok but not great, on my list to upgrade. I actually prefer my old SLX.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Depends what hubs you have. If DT swiss, Hope they can be converted with end caps but your best of doing some research first. Otherwise you will need to lace a new hub to suit which will be another cost.
As agostino says, you need to check your hub manufacturer. There a lot of convertible ones and lot that are not. If you need one I've got a spare black hope evo 20mm convertible.

Sent by courier pigeon

Last edited:

Stumpy13

Likes Bikes
As agostino says, you need to check your hub manufacturer. There a lot of convertible ones and lot that are not. If you need one I've got a spare black hope evo 20mm convertible.

Sent by courier pigeon
Thanks foxpuppet! I'll keep that in mind. Once I decide to pull the trigger on the Pike I'll consider your offer for the hub :D

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Thanks foxpuppet! I'll keep that in mind. Once I decide to pull the trigger on the Pike I'll consider your offer for the hub :D
Looking at your bike - '13 spec stumpy comp they came with roval rims and specialized Hilo hubs. I had the same on my '11 stumpy. They are NOT convertible. I upgraded my wheelset which would be my recommendation to you over a new fork. Grab yourself some hope evo hubs built on some nice rims like stans flow ex or arch ex and you'll notice a real difference in the bikes performance and handling.

You'll come out cheaper than a set of pikes, but they are a sweet fork!

Last edited:

Stumpy13

Likes Bikes
Looking at your bike - '13 spec stumpy comp they came with roval rims and specialized Hilo hubs. I had the same on my '11 stumpy. They are NOT convertible. I upgraded my wheelset which would be my recommendation to you over a new fork. Grab yourself some hope evo hubs built on some nice rims like stans flow ex or arch ex and you'll notice a real difference in the bikes performance and handling.

You'll come out cheaper than a set of pikes, but they are a sweet fork!
That's actually not a bad idea foxpuppet! I don't have any issues with the revelations. Maybe the hype with the pikes have convinced me to get one. But if a better wheelset will also improve performance and handling I might go down that path instead! Thanks for suggesting an alternative! :high5: Any suggestions where I might find some good deals on the flow ex with the hope eve hubs?

Last edited:

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
That's actually not a bad idea foxpuppet! I don't have any issues with the revelations. Maybe the hype with the pikes have convinced me to get one. But if a better wheelset will also improve performance and handling I might go down that path instead! Thanks for suggesting an alternative! :high5: Any suggestions where I might find some good deals on the flow ex with the hope eve hubs?
Ah I was just getting back into riding I didn't notice any issues with my old revs and the wheelset made more sense. The stock wheels specialized use on the combo series bikes are ok but leave plenty to be gained by a wider, stiffer wheelset. Now I have a newer rev that's stiffer than the old ones and has a 20mm axle so the step to a pike would probably be less noticeable for me other than the damper differences but I've got blackbox World Cup revs so they are not bad.

Well I researched for a bit to work out what wheels I wanted. I know a lot go for flows but given my weight (65 geared up) I decided the extra strength of the flows was overkill. I went with the arch ex on hope pro evo2 hubs and they have exceeded my expectations. Running them tubeless with specialized 2bliss tyres.

I got them built up by a fellow burner, mtbwanabe. He was a little bit in price more than getting them from CRC but built them how I wanted and they have not needed trueing yet, still as stiff and tight as the day I got them. Very reasonable really for a local hand built set.

Hopes are the way to go, or any convertible hubset as it just means your not left with an unsaleable set if you change setup later. I had a standard 9mm axle revelation then switched frames to one with a 20mm fork, simply ordered some end caps and presto.

Sent by courier pigeon

Last edited:

Fish90

Likes Dirt
Woohoo finally finished paying off my zesty so excited to take her out to get nice and muddy tomorow! First DS bike I'm a happy man

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkImageUploadedByTapatalk1406889178.078042.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1406889192.377812.jpg

Last edited: