Post your bike mods/tweaks (all categories)

NSR

Likes Dirt
I have a dirt jump hardtail, and I have one of those crappy seat posts that you get on low end bikes... I turned the clamp upside-down to get my seat lower.
I run a heavy duty down hill tyre for the front, so I dont cop shards of glass. I also run a second tube cut in half on my back wheel, in between the tyre and tube, just for some added glass protection (and for sharp rocks).
Just a few simple 'ghetto' mods that help...

BUSHPIG

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have a dirt jump hardtail, and I have one of those crappy seat posts that you get on low end bikes... I turned the clamp upside-down to get my seat lower.
I run a heavy duty down hill tyre for the front, so I dont cop shards of glass. I also run a second tube cut in half on my back wheel, in between the tyre and tube, just for some added glass protection (and for sharp rocks).
Just a few simple 'ghetto' mods that help...
it sounds like your bike weighs a tonne mate! i am interested in what you said about the seat clamp, can u get a pick? and what type of clamp is it (QR, bolt up, ect...)

Belrose Bicycles

Belrose Bicycles
it sounds like your bike weighs a tonne mate! i am interested in what you said about the seat clamp, can u get a pick? and what type of clamp is it (QR, bolt up, ect...)
its the clamp mick that goes on the seat rails, same as cheap kids bikes, you can flip it and it lowers it abit.

NSR

Likes Dirt
its the clamp mick that goes on the seat rails, same as cheap kids bikes, you can flip it and it lowers it abit.
yep, that's the one... I can post some photos up if you really want, but it'll have to wait until tomorrow.

And I've never weighed my bike but it feels at around about 13-14 kg, maybe less, now that I don't have gears and crap. It's too big and heavy for park, but perfect for the jumps. I'm ditching it soon though, 'cause I'm getting a freeride bike:D

Lukez0r

Likes Dirt
Mate, you don't own a car, do you?
Most cars use their wheel studs to hold the rotor on, which is - in turn - clamped in place by the inside wheel face and bolts done up to pretty reasonable torque settings.

If you don't use all your brake rotor bolts you're either a wanker, fool, or both.
You clearly don't understand basic engineering, and if you think you're 'saving weight', then you're a fucking idiot of the highest order.
I know some mental top level XC guys do this, but if you don't understand the difference between them and your average (really average, no doubt) amateur DHer, then God help you (don't mention Peaty or anyone else at Worlds, either - it's no more relevant).
Seriously stupid idea and you shouldn't be 'inspiring' other such fools to follow suit.
As an Engineer myself I couldn't agree with this statement more.

Viv92

Eats Squid
Lots of world cup bikes run 3 rotor bolts so they can change rotors between fresh wheels quickly so the pads don't need to be re beded every time a rider destroys a wheel. If you regularly check bolt tension (which almost none of us would do) then 3 rotor bolts is fine, but you'd only do it so you can change rotors faster not for the weight savings.

^^^^ pretty sure it was the yeti mech who posted that on ridemonkey

I think ill stick to 6 bolts. They didnt put 6 holes for no reason. common sense and logic says that you use whats given in that type of situation. Im not saving 1 gram for the possible damage that could occur.