Post your Roadie

Bluemutt

Likes Bikes
Hi Bluemut, are you training up around the Dulong/Mapelton/Monteville range area. When I was young I used to ride/train in that area. I often would ride up Dulong range fixed wheel (on the old steelie, above). I did not have gears then and it had 27" wheels. The bike is actually lighter with gears (as shown) then it was back then with fixed gearing (what's now called single speed or fixie). Just lighter wheels and much lighter pedals :)

Also , now that the Obi Obi road is bitumen you could train out to Kenilworth. Fantastic views up on the range ... have fun :)
I've been riding below the range from Mooloolah to Nambour, great varied riding with 300mtr+ climbing in an hour and 25km loop most directions.
Yet to make it up the range on the roadie, but have climbed it on the AM Mtb on unsealed roads.

spewyogrady

Likes Dirt
Good afternoon - need help

Finally got around to doing up the Council clean-up Zeus that's been hanging in the garage for the last year.
Unfortunately the left hand side crank arm has a hairline crack.
Does anyone have a left hand side, fluted, plain, campag/zeus style crankarm - square taper -170mm lying around???
Or know of where I can get one without trolling though ebay for months???
Thanks for your assistance.
Also can anyone recommend where I can get a good quality/good value fixed gear rear wheel??? once again can't be bothered trolling around on ebay/cell/velo-gear whatever...Unfortunately I think the postage costs for Velo Orange for large items are a bit prohibitive...

oops sorry..should have dumped this in the fixie thingo...

Binaural

Eats Squid
Hi Binaural, we look forward to some photos ... who did you say was building the custom ti frame ... thanks :)
The frame was built by Rivet, who operate out of Velofix in Rozelle. I am absolutely delighted with every aspect of the bike, and will post a thread a bit later in Post Your Ride.... after I've given it a bit of a shakedown first ;-)

kerryn

Squid
Just finished putting this together. I was told it's a custom made aussie built frame from around 1980. It's a good one though with Columbus SL tubing campy dropouts and Cinelli BB. I built it up with Suntour Superbe, Cinelli bars and stem and flogged the wheels off my Ricardo Pinnacle. It comes in at 9.3kg thats not bad only using modern pedals and it's real smoooth over long rides.

If anyone happens to recognize this frame I bought on flebay a couple years ago from the east coast and sent to Adelaide please respond I would love to know who built it.
DSCF1729.jpg
DSCF2238.jpg

Last edited:

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
A new toy to hopefully motivate me to ride (and enjoy!) the road a bit more. '11 S-Works Tarmac SL3 with SRAM Red Groupset & Shimano Durace Wheels (hmm SRAMano?!)
With 2 bottle cages it comes in at "meaty" 6.82kg (with pedals) - BG fit booked for next week so I get the feeling some of those spacers are going to get removed :)
Now just gotta figure out how to clip in and out of those speedplays......

roadie_kort.jpg

KLabs

Likes Bikes
A new toy to hopefully motivate me to ride (and enjoy!) the road a bit more. '11 S-Works Tarmac SL3 with SRAM Red Groupset & Shimano Durace Wheels (hmm SRAMano?!)
With 2 bottle cages it comes in at "meaty" 6.82kg (with pedals) - BG fit booked for next week so I get the feeling some of those spacers are going to get removed :)
Hi cleeshoy, definitely more than just a toy, and nice weight :)

softek

Likes Dirt

View attachment 228672
That is one sweet ride mate

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Cheers guys, took it out for a short ride last night and wow!! I have gone from a super low end road bike to a high end bike and what a difference. The responsiveness is amazing. Another ride planned tomorrow and Looking forward to this weekend to give it a decent workout.

Wifes bike was 6.88kg under the same conditions so she's spewing :)

Brasco_Designs

Likes Dirt
Thought I would add this to the outstanding thread - finally got the steerer cut down and changed wheelsets. This is her in race day guise. For those who followed the build thread the only real change had been the wheels and a front derailleur swap to the stainless steel model instead of the titanium to help with front shifting. Internal cable routing and the slightly flexy shifting of the titanium model was not a great combination.

SavedPicture (11).jpg

KLabs

Likes Bikes
Thought I would add this to the outstanding thread - finally got the steerer cut down and changed wheelsets. This is her in race day guise. For those who followed the build thread the only real change had been the wheels and a front derailleur swap to the stainless steel model instead of the titanium to help with front shifting. Internal cable routing and the slightly flexy shifting of the titanium model was not a great combination.
Hi Brasco_Design, nice bike :)

That headset is unusual ... are you able to tell us a little more about the design ... thanks

HLC

Likes Dirt

A couple of 'detail' shots. Am waiting for my missus to get here with her fancy camera to get some better ones!

Final Parts List:

Frame - 1985 Gordon Hill 'Hillman' in Reynolds 531c
Groupset - 2012 Campag Veloce
Wheelset / Tyres - 2012 Campag Khamsin / Bontrager
Headset / Stem / Bars - Tange Levin / Thomson Elite 90mm / Nuclear 42cm Ergo's (or 40cm Cinelli Eubois) / Fizik Tape
Post / Saddle - Thomson Elite / Fizik Tundra
Pedals - Look Keo Max 2

Only just built, so will be trimming the Brake/Gear cables once they stretch and I have everything dialled in!

kerryn

Squid
^^Great old steel frame, they have a nice smooth ride don't they.

Here's my Ricardo Pinnacle, original apart from seat. Has a 531c frame and full Suntour Sprint groupo.
These were made in the last few months before the factory closed and it's likely this is one of only two left in existence. The wheels have recently been rebuilt with Mavic Open 4CD's to replace the tubulars that were on it.

DSCF2153.jpg
DSCF1840.jpg
DSCF1861.jpg

HLC

Likes Dirt
Geez dude, that frame deserves a new paintjob!

You back over east anytime soon?
No way man! this frame is a piece of Aussie Cycling History!

Plus Hilliman don't have any original waterslide decals from this era left so I would have to get them custom cut and it just wont be the same!

Will be moving back over east this year! Sometime between End of May andAugust ha ha!! When I find out more i'll let you know and we can go on some rides!

That ricardo is lovely!!! Black quill's were pimp back in the day!! very nice!

wombat

Lives in a hole
No way man! this frame is a piece of Aussie Cycling History!

Plus Hilliman don't have any original waterslide decals from this era left so I would have to get them custom cut and it just wont be the same!

Will be moving back over east this year! Sometime between End of May andAugust ha ha!! When I find out more i'll let you know and we can go on some rides!
So where does 2012 Campy fit into that Aussie history? :p

Your timing sucks too. I'm heading west in May, but further west; like France.

HLC

Likes Dirt
So where does 2012 Campy fit into that Aussie history? :p

Your timing sucks too. I'm heading west in May, but further west; like France.
it originally was built with a campy wheelset? correlation enough for me ha!!

France!! Enjoy! How long? Contractual or holidays??? The lady going with you?

beansd

Squid
First roadie after many years of mountain biking. ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT. ride twice a week even when juggling HSC work/exams, an is a great way for pre/post study exercise. got it at a bargain price too, it was a tour down under special for 2012, even though its a 2010/2011 TCR advanced + very light.

wombat

Lives in a hole
France!! Enjoy! How long? Contractual or holidays??? The lady going with you?
Holiday, with a bit of work thrown in if I can find it. Heading over with my brother, the girl's staying here, doing her own thing.