post your sound setup

wombat

Lives in a hole
Just depends on the efficiency of the speakers, the 8Ohm ones will be fine as long as they are about three or four db more efficient that the three ohm speakers.
Yeah great, thanks for reducing my list of excuses. I should be saving for a car, damnit!:p

fairy1

Banned
Yeah great, thanks for reducing my list of excuses. I should be saving for a car, damnit!:p
Do that and then put some nice speakers in your car, that way you can turn it up without the other half complaining.

I really stand behind buying semi decent home audio gear, I bought some semi decent Canadian bookshelfs over ten years ago and no matter how hard I tried they just wouldn't die, the shit Denon amp did(twice).

wombat

Lives in a hole
My upgraditis wants new speakers, but really I should just wait until I have a need for a full new setup and match a set. At this point in time the the little Panasonic setup does the trick and is adequate for my uses (I don't use it for music, just TV and movies). It only cost me a little more than a blu-ray player on its own would have, and having tiny little speakers does have it's advantages when your place is tiny, and mounting spots are limited!

Bocaj1994

Likes Dirt
I've recently bought a Denon DHT-391xp *snip*
Is this setup good for the price? If not the full setup then is the receiver good? Anything better than that in the same price range?

EDIT: Would I be better off going the model above of the receiver(AVR591) or a completely different receiver and two ~$100ea speakers and slowly expand?

EDIT2: Scratch that, I have been reading bad reviews on that range of Denon products.

Does anyone know of a $500-$600 Receiver/Amp or a Receiver/Amp with speakers for roughly the same? Digital or Analog, "3D Ready" shit isn't necessary, HDMI inputs not necessary, I would like an iPod connection(USB or 3.5mm) and I would like the option to use it with a good set of headphones.

Last edited:

Matt H

Eats Squid
Don't worry about having to find something with a 3.5m jack. You can get RCA>3.5mm cords that do the job.

Bocaj1994

Likes Dirt
Yeah, I actually just found one in my wardrobe, amazing what I don't know I have.
Suggestions on amp or receiver? I'm stuck on this.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Suggestions on amp or receiver? I'm stuck on this.
What do you need in a receiver?

Check the Pioneer clearance section on their Australian webshop, 'dents and scratches' or something I think. They often have their mid-range gear going pretty cheap.

Had a bit of a play with the girl's parents' Yamaha setup when I was there after chrissy.It seemed like a pretty solid unit, I think the rx-v667 is the current equivalent. Looking at it now though, they seem to sell for around a grand, so it's all going to come down to what you need.

Bocaj1994

Likes Dirt
What do you need in a receiver?
I mostly want it for music via:
A MUST have is a headphone connection, which I'm assuming is standard... But still, I can just hear my mum telling me to turn it down already!
iPod
-USB
-3.5mm
-3.5mm to RCA
Computer -Also for gaming and movies
-Coaxial
-Optical Out
-3.5mm jacks.
-HDMI if necessary, last option.
CD's
-Old Xbox -Most likely option.
-Original Playstation, I heard they were good for Audio? I don't even know if it still works though.
Vinyl's
-I want to start collecting epic old school metal records.
-Give my Dad's faggy old crap a go, I hope he has something other than "A Swingin' Safari"
PS3 -Gaming and movies, obviously.
-HDMI
-RCA
-Optical Out

I don't want ALL these inputs, just whichever one I can get on a mid-range receiver/amp. I also don't give care if it's digital or analog, but obviously analog would limit my inputs, I can combat this with a DAC, correct?

Last edited:

exvitermini

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Most of the well priced smaller speakers don't produce any lower frequencies at all so you end up with a lot of info that just doesn't get reproduced. If you go and audition them the salesperson will whack on something like an acoustic guitar track to show how clear they are then maybe something with a kick drum to show how sick the sub is, sadly there is a lot between a sub and a mid/tweeter.

I'd use your old speakers as the fronts and see how it sounds just check the imedance isn't too low for the amp.
Is this setup good for the price? If not the full setup then is the receiver good? Anything better than that in the same price range?

EDIT: Would I be better off going the model above of the receiver(AVR591) or a completely different receiver and two ~$100ea speakers and slowly expand?

EDIT2: Scratch that, I have been reading bad reviews on that range of Denon products.
I was looking at buying a replacement amp and a sub($700 on special yammy and a 500 dollar sub ) to add to my old system after pricing things and talking with a few people i couldn't turn down the the denon system

it was only $600 bucks(not sure if you will find somewhere to match that tho..) ,sounds better then my friends yammy set ups and its what i know(my old denon amp was first released in 92 and still works close to as well as the day we got it if not the same)

my budget was a bit higher then yours, but for now im more then happy with it.

Last edited:

Bocaj1994

Likes Dirt
Does anyone know of a good guide or kit to building your own speakers? Seems to be the cheapest option paired with an AVR-591.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Some pretty funky designs on that PE website.

Saw this on the Eastwood specials list; doing very well in resisting it as a cheap upgrade:
Yamaha/Paradigm Sub-Sat 5.1 System Only $1298. Save $800
Amazing sounding system consisting a Yamaha HTR-6063 receiver
http://www.yamahamusic.com.au/products/av/av-receivers/HTR-6063.asp
Plus a Paradigm Cinema CT70 5.1 Sub/Sat Speaker System
http://paradigm.com/products/paradigm/ct-5-1-system/cinema/cinema-70-ct
Retail $2098, Package price $1298.

Bocaj1994

Likes Dirt
Lets just say I were to actually go ahead and build my own speakers... Is this basically all I would need for a single speaker?

Tang Band W4-1320SJ 4" Bamboo Cone Driver $40
Eminence LA6-CBMR 6-1/2" Sealed Back Mid Line Array Series $60
Beston RT002A Ribbon Tweeter $40
Crossover 3-Way 8 Ohm 800/4,500 Hz 200W $34
Square Speaker Terminal 3-1/8" Gold Binding Post $5.50
Dayton Audio SKRL-16-100 16 AWG OFC Speaker Wire 100 ft. $36
+ Cabinet

Roughly $250 plus postage to Australia from Parts Express
What have I forgotten or gotten wrong?
Also, the design for the enclosure, is it anything specific?

Also, any Australian sites that are the same? I hate looking at American sites.
Seems alot cheaper to just buy some speakers...

Last edited:
Now we have moved and we have a proper lounge room I finally have my system set up properly, my gear is old stuff, most of which I have purchased second hand

Denon AVR 1803
Denon DVD 2910
Canton CD300 - front speakers (LRC)
Paradigm Millenia One - rear speakers
Velodyne 12 inch sub woofer

I'm more into playing music than movies, I especially like playing SACDs and this system sounds awesome for them.

The optical card on my AVR has carked it so I can only plug my blu ray player in via rca cables which is a bummer coz I cant get DTS or dolby surround sound when watching a movie and some of my music dvds are digital audio.
I don't mind plugging my dvd into both the teev and the AVR and I'm happy to buy another old denon avr if the optical inputs works, question is if there is an advantage passing the video signal through the AVR to the teev ?

scblack

Leucocholic
Now we have moved and we have a proper lounge room I finally have my system set up properly, my gear is old stuff, most of which I have purchased second hand

Denon AVR 1803
Denon DVD 2910

I'm more into playing music than movies, I especially like playing SACDs and this system sounds awesome for them.

The optical card on my AVR has carked it so I can only plug my blu ray player in via rca cables which is a bummer coz I cant get DTS or dolby surround sound when watching a movie and some of my music dvds are digital audio.
I don't mind plugging my dvd into both the teev and the AVR and I'm happy to buy another old denon avr if the optical inputs works, question is if there is an advantage passing the video signal through the AVR to the teev ?
Nice! I also have a Denon AVR 1803, had it for many years now.

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Denon AVR 1803
Denon DVD 2910

Probably not if you're still outputting from the DVD player, its good if you have multiple media inputs as you can switch between them on the receiver but leave the input on the tv the same (one less remote to fuck around with). It starts to get more important when you're outputting higher bitrate video and want to do passthrough of certain codecs (4k60 video with TRUEhd or DTSHD for example).

)It starts to get more important when you're outputting higher bitrate video and want to do passthrough of certain codecs (4k60 video with TRUEhd or DTSHD for example).
Cheers, my old amp doesn't handle those formats so to take advantage I would need a new amp which is going to come with multiple HDMI inputs anyhoo. I'm not planning on adding anymore speakers and go to 7.1 or 11.1.

Think I will invest in a few more SACDs.

MasterOfReality

After forever
I have a fairly basic, no frills 5.1 system I put together around five years ago.

Cambridge Audio 551r receiver
Cambridge Audio 651bd Blu ray player
Paradigm MilleniaOne satellites
Wharfedale power cube sub (can't remember model details)

Very happy with it.