Post Your XC Machine

McPete

Likes Dirt
10.145... for a four inch bike. I'm not sure that's legal in this country!

Looks excellent, I especially like the colour matching with the Frame, forks and brakes. If you don't mind my asking, what did you change from stock to get it so light? Is there any feeling of increased fragility over a stock build?

I was going to post my Reign 0, but that's stretching "XC" a bit far isn't it?

749dark

Likes Dirt
All of my bikes are custom builds as i'm a little picky about the parts that I want. I think the parts list on this bike should be durable as it will only be used for racing.

iscarrr

Likes Dirt
Real nice 749dark, real nice.

So you just bought the frameset then build the rest?

Spec list too much to ask? Particularly interested in the wheels, have seen them before, don't know many details though.

fezi

Likes Dirt
Real nice 749dark, real nice.

So you just bought the frameset then build the rest?

Spec list too much to ask? Particularly interested in the wheels, have seen them before, don't know many details though.

Wheels look like spech rovals. I'm pretty sure dt swiss do the build for spech.... looks good to. Almost makes me consider getting one myself.... must keep card in pocket...

Bodin

GMBC
They're Roval wheels - Specialized's "house" brand, which you'll find on all the high end (S-Works) Specialized bikes these days. The World Championship rainbow stripes that you can see on the front rim refer to Christophe Sauser's World XC win from last year.

Very nice indeed.

BUSHPIG

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not kidding, Seat post goes up, rear shock is locked off, forks are stiffened.

Specs:
Frame: Norco A-line m
Fork: marzocchi 888 rcv
Rear shock: fox DHX 3.0
Headset: FSA pig pro
Derailleur Front: N/A
Rear:Sram x7
Cranks: truvative hussefelt
Shifters: sram x7
Cassette: sram pg 915
Chain: sram
Bottombracket: raceface
Hubs: avid
Rims: MTX 33
Tires: Minion 40a
Brakes: avid code
Brake levers: code 5
Pedals:marzocchi direct mount
Handlebar: funn fat boy 720mm 2" rise
Seatpost: truvative XR
Saddle: pilot
Grips: ODI ruffian white

recently acquired second hand XC hardtail, spent a bit to get it running smoothly tho :( new drivetrain etc etc, but it is running smooth now and i am loving it :D

Jamis Dakota Elite (carbon rear stays etc)
RS-Reba race forks (used to be fox R100, but they were shagged... too expensive to rebuild!!)
F/R derailleurs - shimano XT
shifters - shimano XT
cranks/BB shimano LX
rear cassette - shimano LX
brakes - Juicy 5's
EA50 bars
wheels - mavic 317 rear, laserdisc something front

has some semi-slicks on it atm as i commute about 20k daily on it, I need another set of wheels with some off road tyres on them

Last edited:

milux

Likes Dirt
Hi All,
Need advice, I'm building my dream bike. Starting point is a BMC Fourstroke in Mat Black, fitted with full XT, Race face Next Carbon Bar and seatpost, White SDG Ti Fly seat, White Grips, possiable white Reba's.
Now do i stick to the black/white theme and get white limited Edition DT 4.2 rims with silver spokes on black XT hubs or black Mavic 819 UST rims with black spokes and hub?

Will DT 4.2 rims handle a 90Kg rider? I currently have DT 5.1 rims with stans kit and they are bomb proof, but a bit heavy.

Starting point.

Option 1

Option 2

Last edited:

749dark

Likes Dirt
Id be cutting off some of those tyre knobs to get that beast under 10 !!!
I've been thinking of ways to get it below 10kg (it weighs 9.9kg without the pedals) however I think it's going to be abit difficult.

My XTC Advanced SL weighs 8.9kg which I wouldn't mind bringing it down to 8.5kg.

749dark

Likes Dirt
Milux, you're going to have a sweet ride there!
I've had a couple of sets of 819's in the past and they are a very strong rim. Get them with some white DT Swiss spokes - that would look TOPS!!

Bodin

GMBC
There's 50g difference between the DT4.2's and the 819's add stans strip to the 4.2'S and they would be similar.
Also - I've owned 2 sets of 819s, seen many others and never seen a failure. Can't say the same for pretty much any rim made by DT Swiss.

Not much weight disadvantage, definite strength advantage and they're true tubeless. =WIN