Post Your XC Machine

DuncanFG

Likes Dirt
Well I never thought I'd own a bling bike, but here it is.

I switched teams at the start of the year and the new mob 'Fitzroy Revolution' have got a pretty good thing going so I thought I'd update from my 5 year old race bike.

I'd always wanted to try a plastic bike and when I was told I could switch any components without affecting the price I thought I may as well go nuts for once.

The bike started as a stock 2009 S-Works hardtail.
I ditched the uber-bling Avid brakes for XTR, always felt shimanos have way better modulation.
Replaced the Roval wheels with XTR as I'm no fan of disposable cartridge bearings.
Changed the fork to a 100mm Fox, arguably the best performing shock available, if only they didn't leak so much...

I ended up with:
XTR: Wheels, brakes, chain, cassette, pedals, derailers, shifters.
S-Works: Seat, frame, handlebars, cranks.
Thomson Elite: Seatpost, Stem.

Surly: 35 tooth steel chainring.
Grips: OzRiders
Tyres: Rear Geax Saguaro TNT, Front Schwalbe Racing Ralph Snakeskin.

Things I'd still like to do:
Get a proper chain guide. The pauls didn't fit and it's a press fit BB so options limited.
Get a 1.5" steerer and thru axle front just cause I like the idea of OS stuff.

The bike weighs in at around 9.3kg ready to race. Not the lightest ever but a few of the upgrades added a bit of weight.

Scratchy 001.jpg

C Dunlop

Likes Dirt
A light weight bashie (like a salsa or a k-edge) and an n-gear jumpstop weigh within a few grams of an mrp or e13 chain guide.

DuncanFG

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the suggestion on the 1x9. One problem I have is that seat tube flairs fairly high up so anything that clamps like a bottom swing derailleur won't work. I'm curious about the double bash guard setup but I've found that during races you can get some pretty big knocks that throw the chain around. I'm also tempted to step up to a 36 tooth which narrows the options a bit.
There are one or two clamp on guides that may clamp high enough that I will try and hunt down.

As for running out of gears, I do run a 3x9 at the Otway Odyssey and the Avoca Marathon Champs. For nearly all other race courses I find it's fine though. It forces you to attack a lot of hills and any XC/Enduro course with a long enough firetrail to spin out is IMO a bit badly designed.

Antsonline

Likes Dirt
Specialized Epic Expert Carbon Evo R

I couldnt rip the photos - but google the new 2011 Specialized bike of the above name.
See what they have done?

They have a custom designed and spec'd a chain guide to work on their new super sexy 1x10 Epic range....

Cooler than an eskimos fridge.

deboat

Squid
Trek 9.9

IMGP0586.jpg

The frame is a Trek 9.9
full XTR group set.
crossmax wheels
2010 Fox forks fit rlc
Bontrager carbon xxx seat post and stem
Fi'zik seat

All the bolts are either alloy or titanium.
I would like to change the bars to carbon, only to complete the package.
It weighed in at 9.3kgs

Newton

Likes Dirt
Lapierre X-Control 410 2010

Frame: Alloy SL Hydroformed / FPS2 100mm
Fork: Fox 32FRL FIT 120mm
Shock: Fox Float RP23
Wheels: Fulcrum Red Metal 3
R Deraileur: Sram X9
F Deraileur: Shimano XT
Shifters: Sram X9
Cranks: Funn
Bottom Bracket : Shimano Press fit
Cassette: Sram
Brakes: Avid Elixir 5
Seat + Post: San Marco Ponza - Funn
Bar: Funn Fatboy
Stem: FSA
Grips: Jet Black
Tyres: Maxxis Ignitor (F), Larsen (R)

New Photo's added ...

Last edited:

Rodders

Likes Dirt
The Lapierre is a great looking stead and I bet you dont bump into too many other examples of them while on the trails. How much does she weigh?

Newton

Likes Dirt
Nice Lapierre. It looks fast.

Was it imported?
I bought the bike from Shaun O'Connor, who brought it back from Europe last week, the bike weighs in at around 12kg's. It's been upgraded heavily, only the frame and front forks left from original.

guern

Squid
Charge Duster (Steel)

Hey guys I am really happy with my new build and thought I would share. This was meant to be a cheap and cheerful winter bike, got a bit carried away.

Frame: Charge Duster steel
Fork: Rock Shox Reba Race with Poploc
Wheels: DT Swiss XR1
Rear Derailleur: XTR
Front: MRP chainguide
Shifters: XTR
Crank: XT
Cassette: XT 9speed
Brakes: XTR (XT calipers)
Saddle: Selle Italia SLR gel flow
Bar: Ritchey WCS carbon
Stem: Ritchey 4 axis WCS
Grips: Ritchey Foam
Tyres: Michelin XC A/T

Attachments

Petero

Likes Dirt
2011 xtc 29-1

Pic from straight out of the shop. All stock standard, and as it is my 'get back into riding' bike, likely to stay that way. Although I do love the look of the AC 29 XC rims...

IMG_1766.jpg

iscarrr

Likes Dirt
Pic from straight out of the shop. All stock standard, and as it is my 'get back into riding' bike, likely to stay that way. Although I do love the look of the AC 29 XC rims...

View attachment 183047
Did that come with Aspens? (the tyres). Looks like it did based on the custom white Maxxis logos. Weird.. why Anthems still have Crossmarks front and back, but they decided the hardtails should get Aspens :confused::confused: