Postage costs??

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ok, i may be going to send a bike up to queensland, which way do you guys suggest to be the cheapest and most efficient.

Ty

Eats Squid
throw some bubble wrap around it then stick it in a black plastic garbage bag, and tape it up, australia post should be able to take it from there for not to much, i sent a whole groupset including forks and wheels to darwin for about 30 with a courier service so i reckon AP should be cheaper.

Rik

logged out
If you're going to send it auspost, make sure it's packed with extreme care, as they tend to abuse heavy packages.

Apart from that, they'd be the cheapest, but I'd reccomend a courier for a little bit more cost but alot more peace of mind.

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I see, it worked out to be about 30 bucks with normal AP, 100 with over night AP. Ill go see if i can find some courier services that will do it for inbetween.

bighitter

Likes Bikes and Dirt
dont use australia post - i got a frame through them and it came with the box opened.
The guy asked me to check the contents and inspect it for any damage etc... because they said it fell out of the box ?????????

called the bike shop they said it was packed really well and taped up and it was supposed to have a warranty card and a rear mech....................thank god for insurance

DAMN AUSTRALIA POST

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah, well a courier is going to be about the same price, and i prefer the piece of mind....ill insure it whilst its on the move too.

Rik

logged out
One thing for sure (let the recipient know this) is that the package should be checked thorougly before the slip is signed, if there's any damage, don't sign. My friend had a big blowup about insurance and whatnot when he signed for a package that was damaged in transit, yet they wouldn't cover it because he signed without checking.

nathan

Likes Dirt
Go a courier. Australia post throw their packages large distances to the ground (so if your going to send stuff with them package it real well). Also they have a tendancy to lose stuff.

G

Ty said:
throw some bubble wrap around it then stick it in a black plastic garbage bag, and tape it up, australia post should be able to take it from there for not to much, i sent a whole groupset including forks and wheels to darwin for about 30 with a courier service so i reckon AP should be cheaper.
what he said

nicklouse

Likes Dirt
shmity said:
its horizontal so thats not so much an issue.
Mmmm they can still bend the chain and seat stays if you dont put a spacer between the dropouts. just use a bit of wood, two self taping screws and a couple of washers.
do this for the fork as well or else that could get F*****d as well!

nick

Rik

logged out
You guys honestly think they take care of packages, and keep them vertical throughout transit?

As I said above, I've seen some things get trashed through auspost, so extreme care should be taken.

wombat

Lives in a hole
If you want dropout spacers, go down to your lbs and ask if you can have a couple. All new bikes come with them in the forks, and frames come with them too. We usually just chuck 'em, so you shouldn't have a problem getting some.

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rik, i ment as in horizontal dropouts?? Chill pill maybe??
I did come on to get advice, not to get ragged on. Ive seen some pretty farked fork dropouts, but i hadn't thought about the rear ones, ill bung something in there as well.

dhd

Downhill Direct
Hit your LBS and ask for a box and a spacer thingy! They will give you one as they probably have about 400 waiting out the back to be carted off. Use lots a bubble wrap and cardboard to separate things and it should all be hunky dory.
I've sent a sqillion things around the country and have come to this conclusion.
Capital cities......courier
country areas.....AP
and just for the record in four years I've never had a problem with the Aus post. Lots of probs with couriers though.

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Got the box sorted, new shop down here has a gazilon, bubble wrap isn't a prob....just gotta decided on mode of transportation now.

Rik

logged out
shmity said:
Rik, i ment as in horizontal dropouts?? Chill pill maybe??
I did come on to get advice, not to get ragged on.
Sorry if I come accross as harsh, but a bike is a prized posession and deserves love and respect :)

To explain: hang your bike up, take out the rear wheel, now stand behind the bike and squeeze the dropouts towards each other. Notice how easy that is, and that there's a bit of flex there. Now, lie the bike flat on the ground and stand on the top dropout*, watch your rear triangle bend :eek:

*do not do this.

That's just to show you how the rear end can be crushed in transport, so putting a spare axle, or a lump of wood, in the dropouts is enough to prevent it. Hopefully it won't get mistreated, but you never know...

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
haha, its an 02 norco 250, that thing doesn't flex at all at the dropouts. but yeah, wouldn't want some poor bloke in queensland to get a farked bike off me.