Postage from the USA to OZ

GTBoy

Likes Bikes
i just wondering if anyone knows how much it costs to get forks sent from the us to oz. cheers

roasted

Likes Bikes and Dirt
second hand or new?

if new, add them to yer cart on the site, (no obligation to buy OR give a number until you "check out") and it should give you a shipping rate (USD)

add that + 15% import duty (I do 20 to be safe) and you have the final cost of your forks in USD.

GTBoy

Likes Bikes
i was looking at getting a second hand set.

i can't really afford new ones and i can't find what i want over here.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Re: i was looking at getting a second hand set.

GTBoy said:
i can't really afford new ones and i can't find what i want over here.
Playing with fire there, mate.

roasted

Likes Bikes and Dirt
buying second hand from OS is a big no-no.

seriously, I doubt that youd have any trouble finding any fork you want in oz.

11:11

Likes Dirt
I helped my mates in importing some forks to Aus and
based on sherman single crown, the shipping cost should be around us$40-45 ish..
don't worry about the tax/custom/gst, just make sure to do following:
-mark them as a gift
-put cheap value (e.g. $100)
-write "bicycle parts" as the description (do not write fork)

and the most important thing is to clean the fork from dirt before shipping it to Aus.

hope that helps.

kizza

Likes Dirt
sorry for the OT but 11:11... how come you need to clean the fork from dirt, aside from the obvious that its not exactly healthy for a part to be kept dirty...is there another reason for this?

SKT

Likes Dirt
kizza said:
sorry for the OT but 11:11... how come you need to clean the fork from dirt, aside from the obvious that its not exactly healthy for a part to be kept dirty...is there another reason for this?
So as to not let any creepy crawlies in. If it's dirty the customs guys will most likely impound it. That would be my guess.

Jaskel

Likes Dirt
no more than 50 bucks m8, i got a complete grille for my SUV from USA and it cost 40 bucks to send here to my door in 4 days.

cheers

Arete

Likes Dirt
Despite the risk I bought an 02 pair of Z1 Freerides from the States second hand for around $170 US. Shipping was about $70 US. Total price was just over $300 AUD.
Worked out great for me.

NCR600

Likes Dirt
$75 with insurance and a tracking number in 3 days just before Christmas. Make sure you get a tracking number, that way you can tell somethings (might not be what you ordered!) been posted.

Get the seller to list as parts/fork/whatever, and state something like warranty repair. Customs aren't fooled by stating gift, especially if the insured value is like $1000 or whatever.

Likes Dirt
NCR600 said:
Customs aren't fooled by stating gift, especially if the insured value is like $1000 or whatever.
It's a matter of luck really.. In my case I always get away of tax/customs by marking them as a gift + low value. (at least it helps)

but mind you that if you want to insure the value as $1000, you are most likely will hit by customs/tax.

I forgot to mention that $40-45 shipping cost that I mentioned above is shipping via EMS. so tracking number is provided.

cheers

apsilon

Likes Dirt
Might be worth marking it as used bicycle parts. While I'm not certain I think the rates are lower or non existant for used parts.

FWIW my forks cost about $90 to ship but that also included front and rear disc brakes, handlebar and stem with the lot insured. Didn't pay any customs duty etc.

NCR600

Likes Dirt
[quote="11:11
I forgot to mention that $40-45 shipping cost that I mentioned above is shipping via EMS. so tracking number is provided.

cheers[/quote]

Who was that with? Cost me that much to send a bottle of inner circle op rum to my mate in California. That was by Aussie Post economy air too... took 2 weeks to get there!

The forks I had sent were by USPS. Any info on cheaper ways 'd be appreciated!

Likes Dirt
NCR600 said:
Who was that with? Cost me that much to send a bottle of inner circle op rum to my mate in California. That was by Aussie Post economy air too... took 2 weeks to get there!

The forks I had sent were by USPS. Any info on cheaper ways 'd be appreciated!
Sorry I should have been more clear.
What I mean is us$40-45 to ship a fork from US to AUS via EMS.
not the other way around.

cambowambo

Likes Bikes
postage from USA

Mate,

I wouldn't recommend buying anything second hand from somewhere you couldn't personally get to in (the worst) case if things weren't 100%.

But, to answer your question, you can calculate postage from the USA via the USPS (ie US Postal Service) web site http://ircalc.usps.gov/ as long as you know the package weight.

Good Luck!

:)

[/url]

smarty

Likes Dirt
roasted said:
second hand or new?

if new, add them to yer cart on the site, (no obligation to buy OR give a number until you "check out") and it should give you a shipping rate (USD)

add that + 15% import duty (I do 20 to be safe) and you have the final cost of your forks in USD.
Bicycle parts are duty free after 2002, I'm very sure about that. I recently bought 2 packages from jensonusa.com by fedex, they marked them as bicycle parts, both over $500 aud +, no tax or duty but you do get GST which is 10% and a custom process fee, about 45 bucks, I think if you import your own using other delivery service, you might able to get away with GST and import process fee, make sure they are not marked new items and seperate the receipt eg: in another letter :p.

bradh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
regarding the above discussion about dirty parts (aside from the fact that you'd reckon it's common courtesy to clean a part before selling it...):

labelling something as a 'used bicycle part' means its less likely to attract attention from customs, but if it's something that's likely to carry dirt, labelling it as 'used' might attract attention from oz quarantine...

i had something quarantined late last year -- cost me 200 bucks for the privilege of receiving the item two weeks later than expected. and customs charged gst on top of that. i'd rather go for just the gst, and avoid the quarantine fee.

buying from os is like russian roulette. buy local unless you really enjoy gambling...