Potentially Cracked BB

Just wanting some opinions, I noticed this crack in the paint on the BB of my canyon spectral CF.

Do you think the carbon fiber is cracked or is it just the paint cracking.

Bike is 6 months old and still under warranty.

Attachments

I can't see any cracking from the side and I will take the BB out and look from the inside this week sometime as i'm waiting for the tools I ordered to be delivered.. The BB has been creaking

bear the bear

Is a real bear
For some reason white paint on carbon frames has a tendency, more than other colours to show up cracks.
My opinion is that it's safe to ride. However monitor it if you feel comfortable, otherwise contact Canyon to discuss further

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
For some reason white paint on carbon frames has a tendency, more than other colours to show up cracks.
My opinion is that it's safe to ride. However monitor it if you feel comfortable, otherwise contact Canyon to discuss further
Fluoro Orange shows them just as clearly. I've got some monster paint cracks at the seat tube/top tube pivot on the Procaliber. Not worried, it's where it's supposed to flex. And the fluoro additive makes any paint more brittle. Another 12 months or so and it'll probably be sent off for a respray.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Register the issue with Canyon - see what they say.

It'll either be (1) nothing to worry about or (2) we'll replace the frame.

If (1) and it fails further outside warranty they should still come to the party...

Took out the BB insert and found no visible cracking from the inside, happy days! Seems to have just been the paint that is cracked.

whodesigns

Likes Bikes
Took out the BB insert and found no visible cracking from the inside, happy days! Seems to have just been the paint that is cracked.
Unlike metals, cracks in carbon may not always propagate through the full thickness but rather will delaminate. This will reduce the strength and will probably grow over time also.

Remember that the paint is not as stiff or strong as carbon, otherwise they would just make bikes out of paint, so if it cracks there is movement of the material underneath.

I would say that there is probably a flaw in the carbon that led to the paint crack indication, how deep it goes and if there is significant delamination is unknown, an ultrasound scan would be required to determine the significance.

Unlike metals, cracks in carbon may not always propagate through the full thickness but rather will delaminate. This will reduce the strength and will probably grow over time also.

Remember that the paint is not as stiff or strong as carbon, otherwise they would just make bikes out of paint, so if it cracks there is movement of the material underneath.

I would say that there is probably a flaw in the carbon that led to the paint crack indication, how deep it goes and if there is significant delamination is unknown, an ultrasound scan would be required to determine the significance.
Thanks for your insight. I will keep an eye on it for now.

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Haven't needed to use this in person - but painting over the crack with white-out then taking the bike for a thrash should see if it's the carbon or not.

whodesigns

Likes Bikes
Haven't needed to use this in person - but painting over the crack with white-out then taking the bike for a thrash should see if it's the carbon or not.
If it really fails you find out the hard way however! :eek:

There is a reason they call ultrasound scans and other methods non destructive testing. :)