PowerBar Gel Blast

Optimus

Likes Bikes
Am looking at trying these PowerBar Gel Blasts in the Natural Cola flavour:
http://www.powerbar.com/products/18/POWERBAR%C2%AE_GEL_BLAST_Cola.aspx

However have been told that they're not imported into Australia due to their high caffeine content (50mg).

So am wondering whether this is correct (as I am aware of other products out there that have more caffeine in them) and if so whether anyone knows of a good website O/S to get them from (Amazon can't/won't send them to Australia)?

Otherwise, are there any similar products out there that people have tried and recommend?

fezi

Likes Dirt
I've bought some of the powerbar stuff from bodybuilding.com It works out way cheaper than buying it from the local supplier plus like you said some of it is not imported. Havent tried these gel blasts before. I'm happy with there Gels plus a couple of sandwiches on longer rides.

EDIT: If its all about caffeine content then just drop a couple of no-doze. They are 100mg per tablet = zinging!!

Last edited:

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have you tried the Gu Roctane gels? I think 35mg caffiene per gel. Before you go to the trouble of trying to import something stronger, I'd rule them out first.

Red Racer posted a couple of weeks ago on recommended caffiene uptake, maybe have a look at that and work out what you need?

a_hargy

Likes Dirt
As fezi said if its just the caffeine hit your after try no-doze.
Or you could try CL White Flood. Its a powder but mixes easily and it is some seriously strong stuff. I use it for gym workouts and Footy, may not be very good for 2 hours plus in the saddle though.

Optimus

Likes Bikes
yeh it's not specifically about the caffeine - I am an avid fan of No-Doze in 12/24 hour events - more about something small to chew on and these looked good.

fezi - had looked at bodybuilding.com and unforuntately they don't stock the Gel Blast.

Bear - thanks for your input with the Clif Shot Blocks. Will give them a go also.

rootri

Likes Bikes
this weekend at bendigo i am trying some of the "shotz" brand wild bean gels. available locally and they carry 80mg of caffeine per gel.

actually my main concern is they may make me shit my dacks

RED_RACER

Likes Dirt
this weekend at bendigo i am trying some of the "shotz" brand wild bean gels. available locally and they carry 80mg of caffeine per gel.

actually my main concern is they may make me shit my dacks
at least you will be doing it with your eyes wide open. 80mg is the go :)

If you are checking out shotz, try the sticky date bar. All the guys up here rave about them. I'm just a big fan of the anticramp electrolyte tablets. just had 3 in the last 2hrs...

Last edited:

emty

Likes Dirt
You can get Torq gels with 89mgs of caffine, I find the Torq ones go down a lot better than Gus, Powerbar & Enduro etc. I think its because they are more a liquid than a gel (IMO).
I did read somewhere that it is no longer beleived that caffine works as a diaretic.
I tried a couple of nodoze before a race & it didn't seem to make me any faster, but I had only a week before finished a really hard 100k race, I will try it again under normal conditions to see if it helps.