Powerpod power meter, anyone got one?

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just wondering if anyone one is running a Powerpod power meter?

Opinions? They seem like a really cost effective power measurement method.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I assume you've seen the DC Rainmaker reviews. He seems generally happy with them but personally it just doesn't seem right to have a power meter that isn't based upon a strain gauge.

No good for indoor trainers obviously and I reckon they'd struggle with MTB and slow hill climbing on road and MTB.

BLKFOZ

Likes Dirt
I had a quick read through the info when I first saw them a few months ago. I was turned away by the fact that you input the road surface which I'm guessing is used to determine rolling resistance. The sandy tracks in the Blue Mountains here are much harder to ride through than loamy hardpacked soils elsewhere. Also, older rough roads will have a much higher rolling resistance than a newer smooth road. I doubt they'd be very accurate overall.

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It does have an auto calibration function, but tend to agree

Also all the cables on a MTB, may get in front of the measuring air port

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This is from PowerPod, looks like it won't really work

PowerPod is designed for a rigid bike over hardpack surfaces, but when data averaging is set to 10sec inside Isaac and suspension is locked out in climbs, the PowerPod works admirably. WE recommend performing the initial calibration ride on the pavement, with suspension locked out for best results.