Powertap prices

dunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So I'm sitting here at work contemplating a change. There's an event in October I'm quite keen on devoting a bit of time to seriously training for, even to the point of quiting work for a couple of monts before hand.

Anyway, back to the point - if I'm going to be that serious I may as well get more serious and start training with power. Does anyone know of the top of their heads the Australian retail prices of Powertap 2.4 hubs????

Cheers

Smiker

Likes Dirt
No, I don't know the price. But here are some unrequested tips:

Speak to Nick at Cranks Bikeshop about longterm use of a powertap hub.

Check with Clarence St Cyclery on pricing.

If you're pretty cluey, you may be able to get one at a good price from the UK, due to the strengthening dollar.

Happy training!

dunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for that, you might have missed this part:

Cranks and CSC are hardly my LBS!!

Have sent an email to the importer asking for who is a retailer here in Perth - but as usual with importers/wholesales (Dirtworks excluded) no reply!:rolleyes:

jasco

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No, I don't know the price. But here are some unrequested tips:

Speak to Nick at Cranks Bikeshop about longterm use of a powertap hub.

Check with Clarence St Cyclery on pricing.

If you're pretty cluey, you may be able to get one at a good price from the UK, due to the strengthening dollar.

Happy training!
After you find out how much Clarence strett are selling them for, divide the figure in half to find out how much the actual price is anywhere else in Australia :p

Are SRM's out of the question?? They're more accurate than the hubs from what I've heard due to being closer to the source of the power they're measuring. From what I know they're about $3-4000ish for a set

What's the event you're going for?? Road or Track?

dunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
An SRM or two is an option, but a Powertap wheel I can share between road bikes and buy another powertap for the track bike, for the same price as one SRM setup. There is apparently a new power meter coming out once the SRM patent expires this year, that replaces the spider of existing cranks (not Shimano cranks though) and uses a similar system to the SRM it was neat looking system - can't remember the name though. This may be an option depending on cost as it fitted on one of my FSA cranks with no ajustments - track cranks would be an issue though.

Trek Asutralia seem to be the Australian distributor so I guess they'll be an arm and a leg her in Australia and service would be pretty average- I need a trip OS, or keep looking on Ebay.