Prang

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It means the police couldn't be arsed, he's still stuffed up though. How could he not see a parked car? Tailgating? In no hurry, yeah right...

wombat

Lives in a hole
Is ti just me, or would he have had more luck saying he wasn't at fault if he'd just hit the car who was travelling (partly) on the wrong side of the road?

Cruz

Likes Dirt
My grandfather blacked out at the wheel not long ago and ran over a median strip and a round about, knocking over a zebra sign, he ended up paying a fairly big fine for negligent driving, even though he couldn't help it. Police are just out there to get money ehh..
Whether he could help it or not due to blacking out is not the point, he is still responsible for his actions. This would need to be looked into to see if he should still even have a licence. Generally he has to inform the DOT of what has happened and they will either send him for a medical or suspend/disqualify him from holding a licence again until it can be shown he does not suffer from blackouts again. You do not want people who black out etc getting behind the wheel of a car.

What would you have said if he had knocked over someone and killed them? It wasn't his fault?

madmanmark82

Likes Dirt
i still recon its your brothers fault, why would someone be charged by the cops for running into someones car on "accident" causing no damage to public property?
And hes still going to have to pay to get his car fixed, and the person thats car he ran into will also have to pay for there car to get fixed. But i think that the insurance company will be doing some investagating to whos at fault as they would know more then that cop and they will want to pin it on somone so they dont lose any money

sam705

Likes Dirt
Whether he could help it or not due to blacking out is not the point, he is still responsible for his actions. This would need to be looked into to see if he should still even have a licence. Generally he has to inform the DOT of what has happened and they will either send him for a medical or suspend/disqualify him from holding a licence again until it can be shown he does not suffer from blackouts again. You do not want people who black out etc getting behind the wheel of a car.

What would you have said if he had knocked over someone and killed them? It wasn't his fault?
That was the second time it had happened, the first time it happened he had an operation and the doctors were convinced they had fixed the problem. Luckily the first time it happepend, he just simply ran off a country road causing no damamge/harm.

It happened again, this was at the start of the year. He hasn't got his license back yet, but willl have it back very soon. It was to do with something tied in with what medication he was taking. If he had knocked someone over and killed them during his second episode, im interested as to whos fault it would have been?
The doctors said that he was fine to drive again, as they informed VicRoads they had fixed the problem.

i still recon its your brothers fault, why would someone be charged by the cops for running into someones car on "accident" causing no damage to public property?
And hes still going to have to pay to get his car fixed, and the person thats car he ran into will also have to pay for there car to get fixed. But i think that the insurance company will be doing some investagating to whos at fault as they would know more then that cop and they will want to pin it on somone so they dont lose any money
Negligent driving maybe? I don't know what types of laws there are put in place.

His car is a write off.
The policeman has the final say, a traffic controller/policeman looks at the incident and makes the final decision.
The cop that informed us that he will be getting no fines said he doesn't beleive it will go any further.
All covered by insurance, except the excess which he will have to pay.

Tazed

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No, if the police believe it wasn't his fault, thats the final decision yeah?

He didn't drive into it on purpose, obviously.
Actually, no, that's not how it works in this type of accident.
If he'd been hit in his car first, and had careened into other vehicles (the initial accident wasn't his fault) then it would be different.
It's cut and dried for the cops: avoiding anything, cars, people, animals, whatever, is irrelevant when one vehicle hits one or more stationary vehicles. Unless there are mitigating circumstances, which are hard to prove, and then often ruled out (such as mechanical failures).
Even then, they have to find someone at fault when property is damaged.
I've been in accidents where the blame was apportioned according to road rules - no logic played a part in it.
So even in this case, where logically, it wasn't intentional, the law is blind to that and it's simply 'one car hitting a parked car...'