Pressing a Chris King NoThreadSet

XR51X

Likes Dirt
I read the other day that you require a special tool to press a CK headset into a frame.
Do you need a CK specific tool, or a sealed bearing pressing tool?

Also, is there a way to remove the headset without using the tool? I don't want to damage it, but it will just be easier if I can remove it myself so I don't need to bring two frames into the bikeshop.
I don't think it will be too easy to find a bikeshop here that has the required tool, and the only one I can think of that may have one is over the other side of town that's all.

dunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you try and press a King with a Park tool, you'll notice that the press sits on the bearings, and despite what other people have told me, I'm not pressing a $300 headset without the adapters.

XR51X

Likes Dirt
$300?!?!?
Ouch
I knew they were expensive, but I never thought they were THAT much.
hehe I got it on a $300 frame :)

Daver

Kung Fu Panda
i pressed mine in with a normal park headset press. Just flip the parts so that they press on the cup and not the bearing and you're sweet!

beast

Likes Bikes
When you press ina chris king you should remove the bearings and use the press bushes the right way up, if you dont you risk pushing the cups in at an angle and damaging them, you should check the ck site for more info

beast

Likes Bikes
Well its either that or shell out for a ck adapter that lets you push it in without removing the Bearings and as you said
dunk said:
If you try and press a King with a Park tool, you'll notice that the press sits on the bearings, and despite what other people have told me, I'm not pressing a $300 headset without the adapters.
You dont want to fuck up an expensive headset by not installing it properly

dunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thats right. I got the adapter for my Park press from the states for about $20US, and is as well made as their headsets, anodised, laser etched.. I love a company that takes so much pride in their merchandise.

Blue Balls

Likes Dirt
breath

Take a deep breath,grease the frame,grab a soft block of wood and gently tap her in.Patience, slow and steady. Sounds scary but I've had mine in and out of 3 frames this way and it still looks like new.

bazza

look at me
are you removing it or instaling it? or both? make sure you use the proper removing tools, screwdrivers arent good for the frame......and whats this about the CK gear needing a different adaptor to instal it. cant you just use the general Park Tool headset press? this is also WAYYYY better than a block of wood. dont listen to blue balls, use the proper tools. or at least scab/use them at your lbs, even if it is on the other side of town.

sxereturn

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Quit being pussies. CK headsets are tough. Ream the headtube, give it a nice sanding on the inside, small amount of grease and just use the Park headset installer. Hell...I tapped mine in with a chippies hammer...

dunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No sense stuffing a $300 headset by not using the right $25 tool, just get some adapters from the States, and take it to your LBS and get them to install them, hell give them the adapters as I've found most shops don't have them.

And besides they are a pretty purple colour :lol:

Blue Balls

Likes Dirt
whatever

Wood,wood,wood. Wake up,sure if you are stupid get a blah blah tool,but if you are patient just slowly tap it in,after every tap check that it's straight,measure it if you want. Those presses just ram it in like a bulldozer anyway. $500 say's I'm more accurate with me lump o wood or the other blokes soft mallet. Don't do it if you are scared or impatient.You can alway's go use the press if you get scared half way. Gentle tap's each side. It's up to you it is a lot of money retail but he got it cheap anyway.

dunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So now using the manufacturers recommended installation method is "stupid" :?

The issue of using the adapters is not the accuracy of the installation of the cups, but to protect the bearings from the press.

As a manufacturer of products myself, I appreciate that the person who designs and manufactures the product, knows the products limitations and is probably going to advise you on the proper process to get the best result from said product.

jasco

Likes Bikes and Dirt
it's also to make sure that the two bearing races are running parralell to each other. Otherwise you get all sorts of funky wearing

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci

It's not a competition. A block off wood works fine,Ibought a press tho.I'd have to Say the mallet and wood guy's are offering good advice for the question asked. Buiseness is about profit,I don't wanna start something else but always use your brain aswell as Manufacturers advice.Goodluck anyway